www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 29-08-21, 07:55   #101
HaniHeger
Historian

hi blender crazies

how do I connect these vertices in orange?
HaniHeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 14:17   #102
not again!
Archaeologist

^^ That's hard to answer without knowing what you want the shape to look like after everything is connected.
But in any case the loop tools addon is a really fast way to quickly bridge edges with geometry, if that's what you are looking for:

In the small window in the bottom left corner you can set how many segments you want to add and how flat or curved the new geometry shall be.

The loop tools addon is already included in Blender, you just have to enable it.
See the start of this youtube video how to enable the addon.
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 17:50   #103
Nausinous
Relic Hunter

I am using WadTool, and I made a WAD, but it doesn't open using the add on. Which program do I have to use to make the Wad?
Old 10-09-21, 19:01   #104
not again!
Archaeologist

^^ Wadmerger in this case. The Blender addon can only import the old wad format; WadTool's .wad2 format is not supported. (I forgot to mention that in the opening post, but will add the info now, so thanks for the heads-up)

Last edited by not again!; 10-09-21 at 19:02.
Old 10-09-21, 20:29   #105
Nausinous
Relic Hunter

Thank you
Old 12-09-21, 15:13   #106
Nausinous
Relic Hunter

Sorry to double post. Do I need to connect these individual pieces before doing any animating with Lara? I'm pretty efficient with Blender, but this is all new territory to me. I'm eventually looking to import Lara into Unity.

Old 12-09-21, 18:21   #107
not again!
Archaeologist

If the animations are for Unity only and you don't plan to import them into WadTool, then it should be fine to merge all parts.

For custom animations that are going to be imported into WadTool it's a bit more complicated. You can't use the rigged Lara model that the WadBlender addon creates, but need a different kind of rig where all the bones point horizontally instead of vertically. I can share the rig I made for myself, if you plan to make animations for custom levels also besides Unity.

edit: to clarify a bit further: if the animations are for Unity only then the WadBlender rig is the kind of rig you need and you can merge all skin and joint parts; the wonky horizontal bones rig would just be for WadTool.

edit2: I'm going to upload the rig for WadTool either way, just in case anyone else wants to have a go at making custom animations with Blender. I just want to clean up the file a bit and include a readme with import / export settings, so upload tomorrow.

Last edited by not again!; 12-09-21 at 18:36.
Old 12-09-21, 23:48   #108
Nausinous
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
If the animations are for Unity only and you don't plan to import them into WadTool, then it should be fine to merge all parts.

For custom animations that are going to be imported into WadTool it's a bit more complicated. You can't use the rigged Lara model that the WadBlender addon creates, but need a different kind of rig where all the bones point horizontally instead of vertically. I can share the rig I made for myself, if you plan to make animations for custom levels also besides Unity.

edit: to clarify a bit further: if the animations are for Unity only then the WadBlender rig is the kind of rig you need and you can merge all skin and joint parts; the wonky horizontal bones rig would just be for WadTool.

edit2: I'm going to upload the rig for WadTool either way, just in case anyone else wants to have a go at making custom animations with Blender. I just want to clean up the file a bit and include a readme with import / export settings, so upload tomorrow.
Thank you I knew in my head that the vertices would have to be connected for the topology of the model to deform properly when animated, but wasn't sure if there was a particular reason I wasn't aware of on keeping the model as individual parts. I plan on animating and using the model exclusively in Unity so this should be fine then.
Old 17-09-21, 13:40   #109
not again!
Archaeologist

^^ yeah, it's the TR engine that needs the Lara model to be kept as individual parts (unfortunately)

--------------

As promised here's a Blender file to serve as starting point for making new custom animations for TRLE.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8uof2..._TRLE.zip/file

The file contains a Lara model with armature that can be used to make forward kinematics animations.

If the term forward kinematics does not tell you much, here's a youtube video explaining forward kinematics (FK) and inverse kinematics (IK).

This rig can be further developed into an inverse kinematics rig, though currently it's forward kinematics only (I have not gotten around to add IK bones yet).
I did make a quick test though and added an IK bone and pole target to one of the legs to see if animations made with an IK rig would import correctly into WadTool and the results looked fine.

I recommend you open the file with load UI enabled!
This means Blender will open the file with the viewport and workspace settings that were used when the file got saved, so if you choose to load the UI too, then you'll have the workspace already set up with all the relevant configurations and can jump into animating right away.

And a very quick video to show how to use the file. It's not a tutorial how to make animations with Blender, it's just meant to demonstrate the import / export process, with a few pointers strewn in how to insert keyframes and move them on the timeline to adjust the speed of the animation.

Animations for TRLE need 32 fps to ensure the animation will have the same speed in-game as it does in Blender

When inserting keyframes make sure that you are hovering over the 3d view. Blender controls are often context sensitive, meaning the same button may have different functions depending on which window you are currently hovering over with your mouse cursor.

If you don't like a pose, then you can reset the rotation for all bones in one go by hitting ALT + R.
You can also reset the location and bring the model back to its start position by hitting ALT + G.

Export settings for COLLADA (.dae)

In the Anim tab of the export menu choose:

- Keep Keyframes
- All Keyed Curves
- Include All Actions (this is already enabled by default)

Transform: Decompose (by default it is set to Matrix)

Export settings for FBX

Click the tiny arrow next to the Bake Animation option at the bottom of the export menu to toggle open more setting options.
Set Simplify to 0 to disable it!

I forgot to show the different interpolation types that you can apply, so here's a short YouTube video covering the topic:

Everything About Interpolation In 2 Minutes

Select all keyframes you want to be affected by the interpolation mode and while hovering over the timeline hit T to bring up the interpolation mode menu and select the mode you want to apply.
You need to select two keyframes at minimum, because interpolation modes change how the animation between keyframes is interpolated.

------------

update: Animations made with the WadBlender rig are working fine if you insert an keyframe for every frame manually before exporting! (Thanks for the heads up, SrDanielPonces). Note that currently only rotation gets exported, not location (if Lara climbs onto something and is supposed to move upwards for example), but basically you can use the WadBlender rig to make custom animations for TRLE too, if you prefer.

Last edited by not again!; 18-09-21 at 10:40.
Old 17-09-21, 14:32   #110
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

I was actually able to make animations to wadtool directly from the wadblender Lara. As long as you have all keys set in all frames, you can just export the animation and wadtool opens it
What I've been trying out was trying to apply IKs, but been following a blender tutorial and it involves modifying the bone rig...

I'm used to animating in 3dsmax, not blender..
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote