www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 29-08-21, 07:50   #31
Canuck
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
That's the charm of the magazine era... their info was probably 4-5 months behind, and though I'm not sure when exactly in 1997 did Toby leave Core I'm convinced Eidos already knew in spring that year they were doing neither the TR1 port for N64 nor a Saturn version of TR2.
Digging up this very interesting topic .

Being both a fan of the Saturn and the PSX (I still have both of them), and having this unique episode on the Sega console, I have wondered for a while what was the level of decision when the second episode was cancelled. I initially thought that it was because of the exclusivity rights signed with Sony.

I agree that those magazine were often months behind the last news, but it is not the first time I see that a Saturn version of the sequel was planned.

For instance on the Wikipedia page of this game:

Quote:
While the original Tomb Raider was released on both the PlayStation and Sega Saturn game consoles, Tomb Raider II was no longer designed for the Sega Saturn. Following the cancellation announcement, Adrian Smith cited technical limitations of the console to program an adequate conversion. Core Design had been planning for a Saturn version of Tomb Raider II to use the 3D accelerator cartridge designed for the Saturn conversion of Virtua Fighter 3; this cartridge was cancelled before Tomb Raider II was completed. Some in the industry regarded the claim of the Saturn hardware being insufficient with doubt, and suggested that the real reason for the cancellation was that Sony and Core were negotiating a deal that would involve Tomb Raider II being PlayStation exclusive. In September 1997, Sony Computer Entertainment signed a deal with Eidos to make console releases for the Tomb Raider franchise exclusive to the PlayStation, preventing the Sega Saturn or the Nintendo 64 from having any Tomb Raider game released for it until 2000, a deal that would prove very beneficial to Sony both in terms of revenue and also in further cementing the PlayStation's growing reputation as the go-to system for must-have exclusive titles.
Whatever the reasons, because may be Core decided to cancel the development before the deal with Sony, I humbly think that we could consider that there was actually a second opus planned for the Sega's 32 bits.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 08:27   #32
Canuck
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Whatever the reasons, because may be Core decided to cancel the development before the deal with Sony, I humbly think that we could consider that there was actually a second opus planned for the Sega's 32 bits.
To add more to that, we can relate to this interesting topic: The Sega Saturn Aproach to Tomb Raider.

I would not be suprised if we would learn someday that TRII on Saturn was really cancelled before the agreement with Sony, as described in the Wikipedia page.

In this latter we can read that Core did not want to develop a new version of the engine for TRII because of the short time window. One theory could be that regarding the poor performances on the Saturn (the development team did not have the experience to properly handle the capacities of the console) and because they wanted more from this engine for the second episode, they considered that it was not properly feasible on the Saturn.

But that's just a theory.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 18:05   #33
Greatest TR
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
To add more to that, we can relate to this interesting topic: The Sega Saturn Aproach to Tomb Raider.

I would not be suprised if we would learn someday that TRII on Saturn was really cancelled before the agreement with Sony, as described in the Wikipedia page.

In this latter we can read that Core did not want to develop a new version of the engine for TRII because of the short time window. One theory could be that regarding the poor performances on the Saturn (the development team did not have the experience to properly handle the capacities of the console) and because they wanted more from this engine for the second episode, they considered that it was not properly feasible on the Saturn.

But that's just a theory.
This is not a theory, That is what exactly has happened. This was well discussed back in 2010 on here. The Sega Saturn was too difficult to program, Sega Saturn marketing was failing. Eidos deadline.