Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 10-07-19, 17:12   #21
Enya Brennan

Once Upon A Time immediately came to mind when I read the thread title, but I see it’s already been mentioned a couple of times. It had such a strong cast overall, but the confusing timelines and the lack of ideas/bad execution of them damaged the show towards the final seasons. It started out with such a promising premise but I guess there’s so many stories they could tell before struggling to find a creative approach. That said, #LanaParrillaForever

Parks and Recreation’s first season seems to be universally hated and the show getting better with time instead of the other way around was surprising.

The X-Files had some unsteady periods, but the overarching storyline never failed to keep me engaged despite some turns (and Duchovny appearing intermittently). Great show despite its ups and downs.

I watched HTGAWM’s fourth season out of loyalty, I found it generally dull and tedious, save for certain moments. Nothing to do with the genius of the first two seasons.
Enya Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 17:22   #22
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Most Star Trek shows only got any good after season three. I feel like they’re similar to Buffy: Both are shows/franchises that experiment a lot with storytelling. Some experiments worked out really well. Some, not at all.

One must never forget that Dallas had an entire season so bad that they brought back a character who previously died and declared the whole thing just a dream.
The less said about Wesley Crusher the better running around saving the ship in almost every episode of the first season while the bridge crew stood there doing nothing one of Picard's best lines shut up Wesley.

Naomi Wildman in Star Trek Voyager was Wesley done smart intelligent and helpful without rubbing it in other people's faces.

I had forgotten about Dallas when I was creating this topic even though I never saw that scene at the time all I remember is the theme tune, I've been thinking of that scene in Dallas recently when a character in a show I watch called Ackley Bridge died I was initially in denial thinking that maybe the whole episode was a dream and that she would wake up at the end either at home or in hospital but it didn't happen like I wanted it to.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 17:26   #23
Ashnod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
When I saw the title of thread I instantly thought "my god season 6 and 7 of Buffy will be quoted" and I guess I was right.
Kidding I understand the critics. I must disagree about S6 as I thought it was good but different. The depressive feeling was spot on, I enjoyed it even if it is uneasy to rewatch.
S7 was disappointed but still okay. The new slayers plotline was interesting at first but... nah it didn't work. The urgency and the very dangerous feeling of the end of the world to come was spot on. I like The First too.
I still prefer them to S1.
When discussing how he would end Battlestar Galactica, Ronald D. Moore talked about agonizing over the plot until he remembered "it's about the characters, stupid." And he made that the point to give to the writers the next day.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, as a narrative, can be summed up with that phrase. Everything - narrative, cohesion, consistency, etc, gets sacrificed in order to do interesting things with the characters. And that's fine - if that's the intent of the show and it's understood, then go with it and accept it.

But the side effect of that is the entire fandom of Spike worshipers developing their own canon and rationale as to why Spike pre-soul behaved as though he did have a soul the entire time when compared to literally every other unsouled vampire in the show.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 17:27   #24
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
One must never forget that Dallas had an entire season so bad that they brought back a character who previously died and declared the whole thing just a dream.
OMG really ? It's funnily choking to learn. Never saw the show but thanks for letting me know this.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 17:33   #25
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Killing Eve Season 2 (recently released) wasn't a patch on season 1.
I agree season 2 is definitely not as good as the first season but it did have it's moments like Villanelle in the art gallery/museum shouting this place is boring and saying that the people in a painting looked like bacon.

Villanelle is the funniest character I've seen in a TV show for a long time it's rare to see an assassin with a sense of humour.

Honourable mention for funniest character in another TV show goes to Missy Booth in the TV show Ackley Bridge.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 17:42   #26
jajay119

I kinda concur with what is being said here: Buffy had two seasons that I thought were poor. Season 4 was a huge misstep for the series as a whole and Season 6 was quite bad though given that they thought they had been cancelled at the end of season 5 I give them a free pass for it and the finale was a good one too so it made up for it in part.

Once upon a time had some bad seasons ironically because I think they should have dragged out some of the stories more. Trying to squeeze two completely different arcs and connect them in 12 episodes each was a huge issue. The series shone when it had one well thought out story to tell. The final series I thought felt quite fresh so it was a shame they ended it there.

Charmed the original series really suffered mid way through its run. The series was never the same once Shannon Doherty left but the first series with Rose McGowan was still very good. Season 5,6 and 8 were notably bad in terms of the writing and focus was really poor. Particularly in season 6 where the budget was noticeably cut, writers were particularly bad and sets were being very obviously reused etc. Season 7 was actually an upturn, though still not as good as the 1-4 hay day and I think the series could have ended well there.

Charlie’s Angels had a poor final season which completely lost focus on what the show was about and the less said about the TV series reboot the better.

American Horror Story I know it may be an unpopular one but I really don’t rate the Freakshow or Cult seasons.

The Simpsons it’s only natural for a series that’s been going for 30 years to struggle at some point. It’s been so long the landscape of humour has really changed but I feel the early 20s seasons really struggled to find a consistently good run.

Will and Grace struggled in its later seasons of the original run. I don’t personally think the revived series is any better than those poorer ones but I think the landscape of American comedy has grown so predictable and dull that it looks better by comparison.

2 broke girls suffered in its last season. However it only had one more season left in it and I think it should have been allowed to play that out and give the characters closure.

Doctor who really started to go downhill in Matt Smith’s final season and continued to suffer throughout the majority of Peter Capaldi’s tenure as the doctor due to generally bad writing and also for many people due to way of much attention being given to Jenna Coleman’s character to the point where she was more the central character than he. His final series was a great improvement in terms of writing but also with a new companion character. The most recent series featuring the first female doctor was an improvement over some seasons though I do feel they put way too much emphasis on the political side of the characters and not enough on the space, time and aliens.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch had a great few years and got rocky around season 4. From season 5 there was a change in tone as she went to university and the focus shifted away from characters that were fun and interesting. The tone of the show changed from comedy and magic more to teen drama. The very final season was abysmal. I don’t know who gave the go ahead for the choices made in the narrative for that season but I like to pretend it never existed.

Last edited by jajay119; 10-07-19 at 17:51.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 18:58   #27
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Killing Eve Season 2 (recently released) wasn't a patch on season 1.
Oh yes. I was starting to get uninterested in the show during Season 2. The start of S2 was good, but for me the whole working with Villanelle and the love between her and Eve got a bit weird. By the time it got to the headset threesome thing, I was kinda done with it. I didn't really care about the ending of the season either.

---

Charmed

I agree with this:

Quote:
Charmed the original series really suffered mid way through its run. The series was never the same once Shannon Doherty left but the first series with Rose McGowan was still very good. Season 5,6 and 8 were notably bad in terms of the writing and focus was really poor. Particularly in season 6 where the budget was noticeably cut, writers were particularly bad and sets were being very obviously reused etc. Season 7 was actually an upturn, though still not as good as the 1-4 hay day and I think the series could have ended well there.
Season 1-4 are great, 3 being the strongest. 5 onwards was almost a completely different show. I have a quote from someone recently who pretty much sums it up:

Quote:
It went from being a witchy show to Sex & The City but sometimes their inconvenienced by powers.
Doctor Who

Season 1-4 are the best. I never got into Matt Smith and Steven Moffats overly complicated and dramatic storylines. He had some good episodes here and there but could never hold a candle to the characters and consistency of the Russel T davies era.

Series 11 was awful. I was one of the people who was excited for it and a female doctor, but the writing and characters were terrible. I don't think I'm going to bother with Series 12.

Game Of Thrones

The last episode of Season 6 is my favourite episode of the series. Sadly after this episode the show declines and hits rock bottom with Season 8. I was so disappointed in the final season, NOT because it turned out different to what I thought, but because the writing was awful. It all felt rushed. What a shame.

The Walking Dead

Almost forgot about this one. Season 1-5 is pretty good, I think with 3 and 5 being my favourite. Although the very first episode of S7 with Negan is one of the best of the show, the rest of S7 and 8 are boring to sit through. I didn't bother with S9, I have given up by then. The show was just being so stupid at this point putting the characters in ridiculous situations and instead of just shooting Negan while they have the chance, they decide to talk to him for a while even though they have the upper hand. No wonder Andrew left the show.

Last edited by Tombraider95; 10-07-19 at 19:01.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 21:03   #28
Fantasy

The first half of Battlestar Galactica’s fourth season was really uneven and not much happened. After a stellar three seasons it just of limps along until the halfway point of the season.

Will & Grace’s revival has been awful, after the novelty of having the show back wore off it just got really tired and painful to watch.

ER was a phenomenal show up until Season 8/9. It had some really great moments afterwards but it favoured the love lives of the main characters and over the top, gimmicky plots over the brilliant real life storytelling that made the show so groundbreaking.
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 21:17   #29
TrustyBow

Buffy. Season 4. Nuff said.

It's actually surprising that the show is so well respected given how many bad seasons it had. Out of 7 seasons, 2, 3 and 5 were the only ones that I would say are good throughout.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 21:21   #30
Fantasy

Season 1 hasn’t aged that well, every season is brilliant in its own way. Even Season 4 has its moments.
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote