Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 13-08-17, 19:06   #1
TR1249

Default Unpopular Opinions (TR Edition)

We all here have different opinions (or same opinions) but everyone got some opinions that not everybody has

Felt like doing this and it would also be interesting

Let me start:

- AOD gets overrated here. Got its good story and everything but I feel like many fans love it for what it would be and not what it is at the end.
- Rise is my fave TR even tho many dislike it.
- AOD almost ruined the franchise and is the reason, why we have Crystal nowadays (I saw fans saying how Crystal ruined the franchise and how AOD is not responsible for that lol )

Hope some people will write their opinions in this thread
TR1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 19:29   #2
SrDanielPonces

AOD is a garbage piece of **** and Core deserved to be punished for it xooxoxoxox
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 19:30   #3
Zebra

• Tomb Raider would be better off dead or on hiatus than being kept "alive" in its current form.
  • I'd prefer TR to no longer be a AAA game because we'd be getting better Tomb Raider games if it weren't a AAA franchise with a AAA budget and AAA sales expectations.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 19:33   #4
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Tomb Raider would be better off dead or on hiatus than being kept "alive" in its current form.
I remember when I said that whole TRF screamed how selfish I am for saying this lol. Well sry TRF for saying this but:
  • Tomb Raider series has been trash since Tomb Raider Legend. No exceptions.
  • TReboob Lara is the worst that could have happened to the series.
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider is the most boring TR game so far.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 19:34   #5
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR1249 View Post
- AOD gets overrated here. Got its good story and everything but I feel like many fans love it for what it would be and not what it is at the end.
- Rise is my fave TR even tho many dislike it.
- AOD almost ruined the franchise and is the reason, why we have Crystal nowadays (I saw fans saying how Crystal ruined the franchise and how AOD is not responsible for that lol )
Kinda ironic that you have an AoD avatar and post "negative" things about AoD. Though I totally agree with your points.

- TR I is overrated. Yes, it's the first game in the series, but it lacks a lot of polishing and refinement.
- Keeley Hawes doesn't suit Lara as her voice. Nothing against her, but when she's the VA of Lara the calmness of her voice doesn't match the things Lara does during gameplay and in general she sounds rather like someone sitting in an armchair next to a fire place and telling stories. Though I don't blame Keeley for this but rather the voice over director who seems to have no clue about who Lara Croft is.
- The reboot games are better than the LAU trilogy but not quite as good as the classics.
- Legend is probably the best LAU game since it's the most polished one, though for a TR game it's still pretty bad.
- LAU does a bad job at imitating the classics and feels more like a parody.
- Kurtis is an interesting character who would've deserved to get his own game.
- The Xbox exclusivity deal was bad, but not as bad as some people make it out to be.
- Carter Bell is underrated and doesn't get enough mentions by us.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
  • I'd prefer TR to no longer be a AAA game because we'd be getting better Tomb Raider games if it weren't a AAA franchise with a AAA budget and AAA sales expectations.
Agreed.

Last edited by Wooxman; 13-08-17 at 19:36.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 19:37   #6
Zebra

Oh, also:
  • Legend is the best of the LAU games, probably the best of Crystal's TR games in general. (But it's still not really much of a Tomb Raider game.)
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 19:40   #7
VictorXD

Ok, here I go:

-Classic animations were great and ahead of their time, and I also love the slowness of them (some are just down right agonizing though like crawling, shimmying for more than 2 blocks)
-I hate the pick up animation in TR4&5, well not the animation itself but the 'walk up' to the object thing. The lack of transitions is appalling.
-I really like Natla
-Ana and Konstantin were probably the best and most fleshed out villains in the franchise
-Mathias is cool and has the best lines of any TR villain
-TR2013 Lara (well most models really, but she really does stand out here) is incredibly outdated for its release. I mean... very. It even gets worse as the game progresses. I mean the last outfit looks horrendous, look at how bad the tear at her knee is.
-ROTTR Lara also looks super outdated (only skin wise) if the lighting in the environment is not super good.
-I love the documents in the reboot series and don't want them to go away EVER.
-The first TR movie is really not as bad as people make it out. It's pretty much the same story of every adventure movie.
-The kayak is fun to use and it is also the most realistic vehicle movement wise in the whole franchise, and I say this as someone who has been in one of those before.
-Lost City of Tinnos is a very empty level in the visual department.
-The quadbike is a terrible vehicle
-TR2013 Lara is a much better character than Rise Lara, she's 10x more interesting and by the end she is 10x more bad ass than her sequel self.
-LUD'S GATE IS A GREAT LEVEL AND Y'ALL NEED TO DEAL WITH IT.
VictorXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 19:46   #8
Cochrane
Golden

- AoD deserves its bad reputation; its few good points do not make up for everything that went wrong (I love how almost everyone started with that. Only on this forum could this be a controversial opinion. )
- Kurtis was not one of the good points.
- The grid and associated control system were really good solutions to the problems they were trying to solve, and no TR game since has managed to solve these problems as well.
- No Tomb Raider game has ever had a good story. Not even AoD.
- It's fun to play as Lara but she's never been an interesting or well written character.
- The best TR related game of this millennium is Lara Croft Go.
- The best TR related game on (modern) mobile platforms is also Lara Croft Go.
- Rise was actually decent and fun, but I could not name you any reason why you should buy the game when you could spend the money on stuff like vitamin supplements, books you'll probably never read, or donate it to a charity whose cause you don’t care about.
- Anniversary is a full game, so Underworlds is TR9 (I think that’s whole debate has largely disappeared these days actually).
- It should be possible to tell an interesting story about Lara Croft and her daddy issues (I'm not saying anyone has done so yet, mind you).
- Blood Ties is a decent but uninspired rip-off of Gone Home (this is unpopular becaus you all haven’t played Gone Home. Do it. Now. Seriously, it’s short and cheap and amazing and shows what Blood Ties tried and failed to be).
- No TR music will ever be as great as the one in the boat in Venice.
- A first person Tomb Raider game could actually work really well.
- Tomb Raider could stand to have more trains.
- Edit to add: Underworld was the best LAU game, Anniversary the worst.

I’m mostly harping on Core here. That's because "Core made games that are better and more fun, and TR would never have become popular and iconic if it had started with Legend or the Reboot” does not seem unpopular here.

I’m willing to defend any and all of these points except for Underworld being best. I remember thinking it at the time, but I haven’t played any LAU games in years and have zero interest in ever doing so again, so my memory may be completely wrong. Underworld has that Kraken, right? And I think either Zip or Alister died or something?

Last edited by Cochrane; 13-08-17 at 19:51.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 19:58   #9
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
-I hate the pick up animation in TR4&5, well not the animation itself but the 'walk up' to the object thing. The lack of transitions is appalling.
I actually like this animation since it doesn't require to move Lara to a precise sport from which she can pick things up. If she stands in front of an item in TR I-III, she won't pick it up and you have to take a step back or turn her around.

But since you've mentioned it:

- Only TR I-III have good pick up animations. They're pretty detailed and show Lara going on her knees and examining the object for a second before picking it up (at least it looks like that). No other TR after that bothered to have a similarly detailed pick-up animation but just showed her grabbing the object, which in some cases looks like she's shoving it between her legs.

Last edited by Wooxman; 13-08-17 at 20:03.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 20:01   #10
Chamayoo

I think mine are :
  1. I appreciate ledge-hopping.

2. Even today I don't really mind the storyline in games. Well I appreciate when it's good and encourage you to keep playing the game but if it is not the case I have the power to skip the cutscenes and concentrate only on the gameplay. So a bad storyline will never ruined my experience of a game.

3. I keep saying little contents on Lara's capacities and equipments really really add to gameplay's experience but it's just subtle.
    So additions like :

- Climbing ladders and quick turn (TR2)
    - Sprinting and crawling (TR3)
    - Swinging rope and turning suspending on a ledge (TR4)
    - Tightrope walking and swinging bar (TR5)
    - Long jump and hand to hand combat (TR6)
    - Grappling hook mechanic (TRL)
    - Pole mechanic (TRA)
    - Grabbing objects in real time and wall to wall jump (TRU)
    - Axe mechanic (TR 2013)
    - Stealth mechanic (Rise TR)

...greatly impacted the legacy of the franchise and I think the next games should keep all of them and never deleted them for no reason (the exception of course for a more younger and "realistic" Lara). If it is badly integrated and broken, simply fixed it.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 13-08-17 at 20:04.
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote