Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 26-01-20, 14:34   #1
CroftManiac05

Default New coronavirus in China

This has been going for a couple of months, but the spread has skyrocketed the last 5 days. The virus originated in Wuhan, allegedly at a seafood market selling exotic animals. The new virus belongs in the same family as SARS and MERS and causes respiratory problems.Older people with health problems and people with weak immune system are most likely to die from the virus. It has already reached Australia, Europe and USA. The virus is airborne and it takes one or two weeks for symptoms to show.

What we know so far about the coronavirus outbreak

A third case of coronavirus is confirmed in the US

Coronavirus reaches Europe as France confirms 3 cases

Coronavirus reaches Australia

Last edited by CroftManiac05; 26-01-20 at 17:39.
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 14:36   #2
Tomb Raidering

This is truly terrifying! I hope the best for all...
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 14:55   #3
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

When these things happen, international travel should stop in the affected area. It has now to an extent, but a bit too late, as cases are now showing up worldwide.

Unfortunately it could not have happened at a worse time with Chinese New Year on the go, with an influx of at least 20 million ex-pat or related Chinese heading from all over the world into China, and later leaving it, to go back home overseas.

Most countries are now chasing up passengers of aircraft who are now home, and getting them in for checking, and if found with the virus, being put into hospital quarantine.

Many cities in China are now in quarantine and lock down. A way of checking is high temperature of forehead, and airports, bus and train terminus's in China have now got temperature scanning equipment to check passengers heads. I assume other countries will now be using this technology also.

Lets hope it all gets sorted soon and the death toll is low, as although international travel is fantastic in todays age, it can also spread viruses very quickly all round the world.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 15:01   #4
CroftManiac05

The scariest thing is how quickly it can spread. One person can spread the virus at 10 people. It grows exponentially. Here is a video from a nurse in China begging people to stay home instead of going out to celebrate the Chinese new year.

CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 20:45   #5
Dennis's Mom

I'm supposed to go visit my son in Japan at the end of March, a trip one year in the making and I will be EXTREMELY PISSED OFF if this ruins that trip. I haven't seen Douglas in over two years, and the mom in me desperately wants to see my baby.

So I'm praying this gets under control quickly.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 22:44   #6
HarleyCroft

So gross, cases have allegedly popped up in my town too
One major drawback to multiculturalism
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 00:24   #7
Catapharact

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
I'm supposed to go visit my son in Japan at the end of March, a trip one year in the making and I will be EXTREMELY PISSED OFF if this ruins that trip. I haven't seen Douglas in over two years, and the mom in me desperately wants to see my baby.

So I'm praying this gets under control quickly.
Its very unlikely that you will be affected. Unless there is a clear signs of a mass outbreak in either Japan or North America, there won't be any travel restrictions placed on either locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
We only have had just one speculative case thus far in Canada and its from a man in his 50s who had recently travelled to Wuhan China; the Epicenter of the outbreak.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6463679/c...s-update-phac/
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 00:52   #8
charmedangelin

They just imported kids for student exchange where I live. They are all from the area in China where the outbreak has hit the most. I really hope they have taken major pro cautions because my grandma just got out the hospital for asthma and I really don't want anyone else in my family to be dealing with this.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 03:32   #9
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
It has nothing to do with multiculturalism. It has everything to do with the availability of cheap air travel worldwide.

It took the Black Death years to spread when men were confined to sailing ships.

These days, a nasty pathogen can be everywhere within a few weeks at most.

If something really nasty like the Spanish flu pops up again we'd be looking at a very serious pandemic, since it could spread so quickly.
Sir Launcelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 09:18   #10
HarleyCroft

"The definition of multicultural is something that incorporates ideas, beliefs or people from many different countries and cultural backgrounds. When people of different cultures come together to celebrate and share their different traditions this is an example of a multicultural celebration

In reference to political science, Multiculturalism can be defined as a states capacity to effectively and efficiently deal with cultural plurality within its sovereign borders. Multiculturalism as a political philosophy involves ideologies and policies which vary widely"

Two definitions that include cheap airtravel being a factor without reaching.

Although I shouldn't have said multiple cases were allegedly reported when I heard from word-of-mouth instead of a trusted news source. That's how panicking spreads and I apologize.

Edit- Second case is the first case's wife. Not happy to be vindicated, but it seems like the situation is being handled as well as possible.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada...case-1.4784799

Last edited by HarleyCroft; 27-01-20 at 16:38.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote