Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 18-03-21, 13:35   #1
DVDSpike

Default 8 Dead in Atlanta Spa Shootings, With Fears of Anti-Asian Bias

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03...tlanta-acworth

Surprised no one has made a thread about this yet. Stuff like this makes me so angry I can't even describe.

As someone who has many Asian friends and surrounds themselves with, and really enjoys, Asian culture I can't help but fear for my friends' safety these days.

Why is the world so tragic.
DVDSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-21, 14:20   #2
perryloo

Unfortunately there are nutters around in this World, and nutters that can get a hold of guns is even worse, and end up with atrocities like this one
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-21, 14:55   #3
Dennis's Mom

This man wasn't merely a "nutter." You cannot ignore his religious beliefs nor the racism involved in this attack.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-21, 10:15   #4
Yeauxleaux

I keep seeing people trying to explain away the race motive in this and I don't get it. This man *just so happened* to kill several Asian people in a place where Asians are a racial minority? This wasn't an accident or coincidence, he had specific targets.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-21, 22:10   #5
Sir Launcelot

I already posted about this elsewhere, but I still say this is more about sex freakiness than race.

The media and the left will now portray anti-Asian racism as a predominantly "white" phenomenon due to this incident (fits their narrative ), but in fact in recent times it's been black people targeting Asians far more than anyone else.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/neviu...ut-3265760.php

Now I'll be accused as "racist" for pointing that out, I suppose.

Old article, but I know a Japanese guy out in California, he says this is perfectly true, and it's really bad for Asian people in San Francisco and Oakland right now, still going on.

But let's not look at the real problem, white people are bad, la la la la la la, everything they say on TV is true, let's form a circle and hold hands and sing Kumbaya for George Floyd (he wasn't a drug addict and multiple convicted felon, la la la la la, he was a saint).

Last edited by Sir Launcelot; 20-03-21 at 22:12.
Sir Launcelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-21, 22:17   #6
lance6439

Nvm delete post

Last edited by lance6439; 20-03-21 at 22:18.
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-21, 22:32   #7
TrustyBow

It becomes more and more depressing living in this country. This is pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
Imagine trying to gloss over 8 deaths just to push your ****ty political opinion. I don't know if you're racist but you're certainly disgusting.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-21, 23:00   #8
SnatchingEdges

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
It becomes more and more depressing living in this country. This is pathetic.

Imagine trying to gloss over 8 deaths just to push your ****ty political opinion. I don't know if you're racist but you're certainly disgusting.
****ty is the accurate word if we're dealing with Sir Launcelot, and for more than just 1 reason
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-21, 23:16   #9
Dennis's Mom

Other members are not the topic of the forum. You don't like what a member posts, put them on your ignore list and be done. You don't need to hijack a thread.

I think it's willful blindness to not think racism had something to do with this crime. Asian women are fetishized as exotic and compliant. The guy drove miles and miles just to get to a second venue to shoot Asian women.

I think purity culture played a big part in the crime too. Purity culture has left a lot of damage in its wake; now it has bodies as well.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-21, 23:17   #10
Uzi master

There's something to be said about whether the motives were more race based or more sex based, but it's hardly the place to bring up where most other anti-asian racism is or isn't from.

From what I've read it does seem that his motivations had to do with sex more than race. It's brought up often that he ignored non-asian parlors, but the three massage parlors he shot up were brothels, from what I understand. Were the other, closer parlors brothels as well?

I do suspect Asian fetishisation played a role here. But, had he not had this fetish, would he never have killed anyone, or would he just have killed women of more diverse backgrounds?

This article gives an interesting perspective. It really does seem like the conversation around this is focusing on race so as not to touch the subject of sex workers.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote