Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 20-03-21, 23:33   #11
Bashar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
I already posted about this elsewhere, but I still say this is more about sex freakiness than race.

The media and the left will now portray anti-Asian racism as a predominantly "white" phenomenon due to this incident (fits their narrative ), but in fact in recent times it's been black people targeting Asians far more than anyone else.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/neviu...ut-3265760.php

Now I'll be accused as "racist" for pointing that out, I suppose.

Old article, but I know a Japanese guy out in California, he says this is perfectly true, and it's really bad for Asian people in San Francisco and Oakland right now, still going on.

But let's not look at the real problem, white people are bad, la la la la la la, everything they say on TV is true, let's form a circle and hold hands and sing Kumbaya for George Floyd (he wasn't a drug addict and multiple convicted felon, la la la la la, he was a saint).

First of all, in the question of George Floyd - it does NOT matter what his past is. News flash: The police are not supposed to kill criminals either, there is no argument there. Derek Chauvin had no reason to, neither him or his colleagues were in danger. And the incredibly brutal manner in which he was murdered carries a deep seated hate. You cannot simply bring his wrongdoings in the past as some kind of valid argument to something.

There is a blatant structural racist element here when the statistics of people being murdered and harassed by U.S police are mostly back people. And in fact there is a structural racist element when you look at the poverty in black and Asian communities in the U.S - which drives the robberies, murders and all things in between you are now choosing to weaponize for your argument, and this structural racism was brought to the US by white people the day they decided to seal Native American land as 'settlers'. And another thing...

nobody is saying it is resolutely white people doing it to black people, and nobody is saying all white people are bad. Most people of colour, who are definitely of the left, hold intersectionality with great importance and are only happy to bring up the question of internalised racism within ethnic minorities. There has been lots of work on that done particularly in the Arab world where the brutal racism against South Asians is ripe. It is clear you are delving into this subject with shallow motives. The hard left can be fascistic in their own way, but you are currently not proving you are any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
There's something to be said about whether the motives were more race based or more sex based, but it's hardly the place to bring up where most other anti-asian racism is or isn't from.

From what I've read it does seem that his motivations had to do with sex more than race. It's brought up often that he ignored non-asian parlors, but the three massage parlors he shot up were brothels, from what I understand. Were the other, closer parlors brothels as well?

I do suspect Asian fetishisation played a role here. But, had he not had this fetish, would he never have killed anyone, or would he just have killed women of more diverse backgrounds?

This article gives an interesting perspective. It really does seem like the conversation around this is focusing on race so as not to touch the subject of sex workers.
In my experience, racism is often tied with sexism and homophobia. the assailant may very well have an obscene hatred towards women, only made worse through their race and, I agree, their positions as sex workers.

I can't imagine how terrifying it must have been, and how petrified the families of the victims are.

Last edited by Bashar; 20-03-21 at 23:42.
Bashar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-21, 23:58   #12
Quebsenuef

Not sure why there isn’t an argument going around that it could possibly because sex and race related.

Asian women are fetishized by right wing extremists for being subservient and quiet while also being attractive and desirable.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 06:04   #13
DVDSpike

Quote:
I already posted about this elsewhere, but I still say this is more about sex freakiness than race.

The media and the left will now portray anti-Asian racism as a predominantly "white" phenomenon due to this incident (fits their narrative ), but in fact in recent times it's been black people targeting Asians far more than anyone else.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/neviu...ut-3265760.php

Now I'll be accused as "racist" for pointing that out, I suppose.

Old article, but I know a Japanese guy out in California, he says this is perfectly true, and it's really bad for Asian people in San Francisco and Oakland right now, still going on.

But let's not look at the real problem, white people are bad, la la la la la la, everything they say on TV is true, let's form a circle and hold hands and sing Kumbaya for George Floyd (he wasn't a drug addict and multiple convicted felon, la la la la la, he was a saint).

If it's about "sex freakiness" more than it is race, then it's still racist.

Being mad that you can't have sex with Asian women and killing 6 of them is racism.

But also, trying to brush that off is utterly disrespectful. 6 Asian women died in something that was most definitely a racially charged event (which you even admit because you must think it's about race a little if you say "more than race"), and the first thing you try and do is come and brush it off and say, "well black on Asian crime happens too".

???

Last edited by DVDSpike; 21-03-21 at 06:06.
DVDSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 07:12   #14
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDSpike View Post
If it's about "sex freakiness" more than it is race, then it's still racist.

Being mad that you can't have sex with Asian women and killing 6 of them is racism.

But also, trying to brush that off is utterly disrespectful. 6 Asian women died in something that was most definitely a racially charged event (which you even admit because you must think it's about race a little if you say "more than race"), and the first thing you try and do is come and brush it off and say, "well black on Asian crime happens too".

???
Let me modify my words - it was ALL about sex, and NOT about race.

First, remember Dylan Roof, and the mosque shooter in New Zealand? They were racist killers, and admitted it right away. They were proud of it. This guy is NOT saying anything like that. He says he is a sex freak. (not in so many words, but...) Probably has plenty of other things wrong with him too, from the look of him.

Second, I suspect this guy frequented Asian spas because he was somewhat afraid of women. Doesn't want the brash blonde hooker who is naked under her raincoat at the corner, he wants a safer environment with meeker women. So, Asians, in spas. This has nothing to do with racism, unless you want to tie in what was said above, about some right-wing white males wanting submissive women. I regard that as a separate subject.

Anyway, it's too late now, "they" have decided this is a racist incident. The ritual sacrificing has already begun, an educator out west has already been nailed for her "racist anti-asian" tweets. Plus, "organized" protests are breaking out.

It's too bad those women got killed. But prostitution is a dangerous profession. Just ask the victims of Jack the Ripper. Probably a prostitute is being killed right now somewhere in the world as I type this.

The worst part is women forced into it, in those "spas". In my state they tried to clean up that sort of thing but it's awfully hard to stamp out.
Sir Launcelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 07:12   #15
Uzi master

Conversely though, downplaying how much sex workers get targeted in violent crimes by only talking about the racism aspect is also pretty disrespectful.

It's a complex situation.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 13:51   #16
Yeauxleaux

I agree with that, it's both, but talking about the dangers of sex work does not negate that specifically Asian women were targeted in this attack.

Quote:
Second, I suspect this guy frequented Asian spas because he was somewhat afraid of women. Doesn't want the brash blonde hooker who is naked under her raincoat at the corner, he wants a safer environment with meeker women. So, Asians, in spas. This has nothing to do with racism, unless you want to tie in what was said above, about some right-wing white males wanting submissive women. I regard that as a separate subject.

Anyway, it's too late now, "they" have decided this is a racist incident. The ritual sacrificing has already begun, an educator out west has already been nailed for her "racist anti-asian" tweets. Plus, "organized" protests are breaking out.
And if we're attempting to downplay it by saying some dumb **** like "well, he felt less threatened by what he saw as meek and mild submissive Asian women, that's why he went to Asian women instead of white women" that literally proves our point that race was a factor, because this is stereotyping Asian women.

I do think there's a point in saying that interracial crime often gets very sensationalised beyond a degree that is reasonable, and granted sometimes it's an interracial crime where race actually wasn't a motive and it's made out to be (by literally all groups regardless of political affiliation, because most racial groups are very tribal and don't like seeing their own get attacked by outsiders). That's fair, but in this case, it's still clearly and objectively an attack where race was a factor and we don't get to dismiss that just because it's awkward and uncomfortable.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 21-03-21 at 14:10.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 22:49   #17
Sir Launcelot

Well, the FBI is saying they have no evidence of a hate crime in the case, so reason prevails.

I hope this guy enjoys what is going to happen to him in prison.
Old 21-03-21, 22:53   #18
lance6439

Yeah because the FBI is always reliable
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-21, 03:33   #19
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Yeah because the FBI is always reliable
You want everything to be racist.

Did your momma ever read you Dr. Suess books when you were little? Congratulations, you are a pre-conditioned racist.

Last edited by Sir Launcelot; 22-03-21 at 03:34.
Old 22-03-21, 13:56   #20
Dennis's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I agree with that, it's both, but talking about the dangers of sex work does not negate that specifically Asian women were targeted in this attack.

And if we're attempting to downplay it by saying some dumb **** like "well, he felt less threatened by what he saw as meek and mild submissive Asian women, that's why he went to Asian women instead of white women" that literally proves our point that race was a factor, because this is stereotyping Asian women.
I agree. I don't think you can downplay the intersectionality of this crime. He was clearly an adherent to a religious belief that taught having sex put his eternal soul at risk.

So removing the "temptation" was key, but I also think that he fixated on women of another race is not incidental. White supremacy has always taught that minorities are inherently over-sexed and promiscuous, therefore they presented a temptation deliberately.
Dennis's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote