Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 23-03-21, 14:04   #1
_Seth

Question Your TR Opinions that have CHANGED

I think as a fanbase we're pretty strong in our convictions. One thing that's put me off being here partially is that we have the same discussions over and over with no evolution or observable changes in people's opinions, which is maybe completely natural, so I was interested to ask what opinions you've held about TR that have actually changed? I'll admit mine are very few, but here goes.

I hated AoD when it first came out but now it's my favourite. I was 10 and thought that every annoying and stupid thing about it (eg walking before she goes into a run) was an intentional design decision, and had no idea it went through development hell. It gathered dust for about 2 years because it was so frustrating to play, but eventually I decided to really sit down and have patience with it, and utterly came to love it for the things it gets so right, only much later did I even learn about its terrible development cycle.

I used to want loads of unlockable outfits but now I want as few as possible. It was novel when Legend did it but fundamentally, I think the games should have the default signature outfit used as much as possible, with any forced story-based variations being good, still, but infrequent. It's about signature affirmation. Indiana Jones doesn't change his, and it reinforces how iconic it is.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 14:21   #2
Vaskito

A couple, tbh

I liked AoD back when I played it, especially beacause it was at a time my sister was also playing PC games, and she progressed far in it, which got me excited. Over the years my love for AoD dwindled - same for the classic formula in general. Today I can no longer find the kind of enjoyment I did back then when I've played them. I feel awfully bored after a while when playing them, so I usually don't play more than a couple of hours of classic TR in recent years. From time to time, I jump into the games, but can't manage to play for too long.

Two opinions that haven't changed though: I've always felt TR2 was overrated, and never died of love for it. TRIII is still the ultimate classic TR experience (if we ignore some of its unfairness).

Where it comes to LAU - I adored and was obsessed with them when they were at their prime, up until TR2013 / ROTTR - my love and obsession with LAU has also dwindled a bit (but not as much as the classic formula) because as a term of comparison with the current trilogy, and the amount of detail and investment I feel in the story and Lara, and game world and lore, I started to see that LAU lacked that amount of detail.

Reboot Lara is my favorite version, even with her flaws - that being said, however, I do think in Underworld Lara is at her best. It's the most perfectly balanced personality Lara has displayed in any game - and my opinion has reached this stage becasue of a "recent" replay of TRU.

Where it comes to the survivor trilogy, I didn't fall head-over-hells with TR2013 right at the start, and my love for it has increased over the years, especially after ROTTR and seeing her journey and growth. Regardless, an opinion that has never changed is that TR2013 has the best story of the franchise, and man it such a damn journey of a game
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 14:23   #3
xdesperado_

- As a kid I used to hate playing TR1 because of the lack of braid, but now it brings some charm. I like the in-game bun a lot.

- TR3 used to be my favourite from the classics, but now I think it's a three-way tie between TR1, TR2 & TR4. Nonetheless TR3 did a great job with the location diversity - and the location select feature was really cool. Plus it had the best version of the original Croft Manor.

- I didn't like AOD that much when I first played the game, it felt alien to me. However with its gameplay flaws, I consider it to have the best story & soundtrack of the entire franchise.

- I used to prefer Lara's NG model in Legend, but now it looks too strange - she looks like a walking wax figure.

- Shadow was initially my favourite from the reboot trilogy, but I think it now goes to Rise. Rise just felt more polished, and the game looks visually better. Shadow's vibrant colours were great, but the facial animations looked a bit off. A couple of things Shadow did better was having more interesting tombs to explore, and having fewer combat encounters.

Last edited by xdesperado_; 23-03-21 at 14:24.
xdesperado_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 14:26   #4
Lara_Fan1

Tomb Raider'13 - When it first came out I thought it was the best thing to happen to the franchise since sliced bread. An whilst I do still think that (to a degree) the more and more I played it the more I realised it's not actually a Tomb Raider game at all. Sure it's a great game, if you remove the title and call it Marooned or something.

Tomb Raider - Last Revelation - I always thought this was terrible when I was younger because I'd run around in circles, not knowing where I'm going or what I was suppose to do. The older I got the more I just fell in love with it, to me, it's this is the definition of Tomb Raider.

Angel of Darkness - Thought it was a rushed, buggy mess. I still do but it's my favourite cLara game. The story is something completely different, it's dark and gritty, I just wish we had the complete version.

As for all the other games, my opinion hasn't really changed over the years.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 14:43   #5
Yeauxleaux

Legend is nothing to write home about, in hindsight. I wasn't on the forum at the time it was released but seriously, you couldn't tell me nothing about how "bad" Legend was at the time. I was a stan.

TR2013 actually has a decent story and character development for Lara. I still think the gameplay sucks though and the side characters are underveloped/not memorable.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 23-03-21 at 14:47.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 14:50   #6
killchan

I used to be the "TR2013 > Uncharted" guy.
Not anymore.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 14:54   #7
Yeauxleaux

God I could write an essay on how my opinions on Uncharted have changed, mostly for the worst
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 15:10   #8
killchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
God I could write an essay on how my opinions on Uncharted have changed, mostly for the worst
I don't particularly love it either, that has never changed.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 15:41   #9
Profc

TRIII, back when I was younger I couldn't even get past the first 2 minutes of TRIII demo. I really didn't like the game at the time. I finally got around to play it around 2010 or 2012 I think It's still hard, but it's a fun game.

Anniversary: I loved this game when it first came out. Played it multiple times. I eventually compared it to the more colourful classic, and felt that it could have used more color in it's level design. Colour pallette used a lot of gray and brown. Some of the multiple jumps and rope swings got a bit annoying eventually. I preferred Legend a bit more.

TR Underworld: I enjoyed it when I first played it. But on my second play through, I realized how short it really was. Natla and Amanda's personalities were kind of too similar. And the game barely had any side characters in it. Pc gamers should have had those 2 DLC's as well.

Reboot: I liked the game when I first played it. But I respect Lara's character development a bit more now. The scary island, myth and the horror elements were excellent in the Reboot. The ending kind of lost me, but still like this game.

TRII: I played this game with level cheats, and played it normally many years later. I feel that those oil rig levels really drag the game down. Some of the darker levels are simply too dark.
Profc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 19:06   #10
Raider8

Wowh. Cool thread. Here are my few cents:

TR1
I'd never played this game until very late. Since my first TR games were 2,3,4.. so on. I thought TR1 was **** but later on i realized how cool this game would have been back in 1996. It's an iconic game i agree.

TR Legend and Anniversary
I used to have this view that Legend is far far superior from Anniversary until i realized that both were unique and fun in their own ways. Legend was short but globetrotting and outfits made it beautiful. Anniversary was a fine remake and longer in length which i liked about it.

TR reboot games
After having played all the classics and LAU and watching very few gameplays and trailers of TR2013, I honestly did not like the change made to the franchise. I was like what the **** man, what is this crappy shooter game and who's this completely different girl with the most basic moves. But later on when i actually played the games specially Rise and shadow, as the exploration and traversal got better, i started to like the games again. Now Reboot is also among my favorites.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote