Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 31-05-19, 01:25   #1
charmedangelin

Default Best Tomb Raider Game from each era?

What's the best Tomb Raider game for each era. (Pick one)

Core Era: Tomb Raider 3

This game is the best Tomb Raider game ever. It has everything that makes try TR game and kicks it up several notches. Absolutely love the globe trotting and the outfits. Levels and difficultly was top notch as well.

LAU Era: Anniversary

This game was the closest CD has gotten to the classic forumula. While there are some changes I didn't like, overall it's a solid TR experience and one I wouldn't mind playing again.

Reboot Era: TR 2013

I feel like this represents the reboot at it's best. It has the most coherent story and Lara's character was making some progress. Also absolutely love the ending where she gets the duals and it feels like Lara is back after going through all of that. It's a shame that they never could follow up on that with the next releases, but I feel like 2013 as a whole offers the most solid experience as it seems to know itself the best. I would have said Shadow because of some of the old mechanics returning like underwater swimming, but over all in terms of Lara and TR it's the most solid imo out of all three games.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 02:00   #2
trfan16

Core Era -- Tomb Raider II

It was a tough choice between TRII, TRIII, and TRIV for best game. I agree that TRIII probably provides the best Classic experience. There was a ton of variety in this game ranging from weapons, outfits, and globetrotting. However, I feel that the difficulty curve, mainly the limited saves, drags this game down a bit. In the end though, I chose Tomb Raider II as the best game though. It improved and added many new elements that were absent from the first game - new stunts, vehicle riding, flares, better enemy variety, and better platforming too. It also had some of the best locations in the series.

LAU Era - Tomb Raider Legends

This one was kind of an easy vote because Anniversary and Underworld aren't really good in my book. TRL had it's issues too, but I felt that it was a good introduction for Crystal Dynamic's first TR game. The story was the best part about the game for me. The Avalon storyline was an interesting plot and kept me engaged throughout the whole game. Unfortunately, they decided to leave the game on a lame cliffhanger and then throw it out the first 5 minutes into Underworld. Other than that, I liked the side characters from TRL and liked the variety of locations Lara visited. Too bad the game was too short.

Reboot Era - Tomb Raider 2013

For me, the vote came down to TR2013 and SOTTR. In the end, I went with TR2013 as the best game from this era. I think there were a lot of good ideas from this game that were not fleshed out properly in the sequels. I liked Lara's progression throughout the game too where it ends with her equipping Roth's dual pistols. The Yamatai mystery was an interesting plot too that was ruined by the drama between Lara and the Endurance crew. The lack of Classic elements does hurt this game in ways, but SOTTR does a better job in this department.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 04:59   #3
Chamayoo

Core era - Tomb Raider II
Followed closely by Tomb Raider I

LAU era - Tomb Raider Anniversary
Followed very closely by Tomb Raider Underworld

Reboot era - Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Followed very closely by Rise of the Tomb Raider

Last edited by Chamayoo; 31-05-19 at 10:38.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 06:41   #4
FanosCroft

Core Era: Tomb Raider Angel Of Darkness

I love it, Lara is so badass here and she feels more human than she ever felt before, the level design is amazing and it was a game ahead of its time.

LAU Tomb Raider Anniversary

The game that got me in Tomb Raider in first place, I love all the levels, it had the best climbing system out of the trilogy imo, Egypt and Vilcabamba are wonderful.

Reboot Rise of the Tomb Raider
followed by Tomb Raider 2013

It's the most entertaining game out of the trilogy, prefect balance between combat and exploration, best variety in environments, an amazing opening level and breathtaking visuals. Stealth was so well introduced with so many new moves and stuff, it felt like a big improvement over its successor.
FanosCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 09:13   #5
Woops

-Tomb Raider 3

-Anniversary

-TR2013.
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 11:52   #6
tomblover

TR3, Legend, SOTTR.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 12:00   #7
Quebsenuef

Core Era - The Last Revelation. A true adventure. Backtracking, puzzles everywhere, a consistent story, and a true finale.

LAU - Underworld. I enjoyed they actually got back to a mythology of some sort and not a hodgepodge of stuff like Legend. I found it the most interesting, even if it was bland and boring for a good few levels. Much better than Anniversary but not as fun legend but longer thankfully.

Reboot - I can’t really say as I’ve only played TReboot and nothing else. I know it won’t be number one for me bc I heavily disliked that game
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 12:03   #8
Maverin

Fun idea Charmed!

Core Era:
Tomb Raider III

Defines Tomb Raider for me: perfect balance between urban environment vs nature vs caves and tombs + cool vehicles + varied globetrotting + most expansive and fun arsenal + unique and fun boss fights + iconic dialogue + awesome soundtrack + Judith Gibbins + challenging difficulty + well hidden secrets and rewarding statistics screen. I could go on forever honestly.

LAU Era: Legend

Witty and totally badass Lara with a human touch. Best animations ever and great pacing. The boss battles are a lot of fun too. Epic soundtrack and just charming all around.

Reboot Era: Shadow of the TR

The environment is absolutely amazing. The tombs are exactly what I hoped for and the developers got really creative in finding new ways to make the gameplay fresh and interesting.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 12:04   #9
Yuna´s Wish

CORE era: Tomb Raider
- Barely any human;
- Always fair;
- T.Rex and raptors;
- It doesn't take itself too seriously;
- Antagonist;
- Best main theme;
- Palace Midas and The Cistern;
- Torso monster.

LAU era: Tomb Raider: Underworld
- Coastal Thailand and Southern Mexico;
- Sharks and underwater exploration;
- Puzzles;
- Amanda and Natla;
- Giant spiders;
- Traps aplenty;
- Free-roaming motorbike.

Reboot era: Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- Puzzles;
- The return of underwater exploration;
- The return of traps;
- The return of a beautiful setting;
- Lighthearted mood;
- Jaguars and Yaaxil;
- A welcome display of creativity. E.g.: The Serpent's Heart;
- The return of hidden passages and rooms (even if only a few);
- Superb soundtrack;
- Trial of the Eagle;
- Excellent hubs with human inhabitants (what Alexandria and Paris could only dream of in 1999 and 2003, respectively);
- Oh, and best main outfit in the series. Tactical Adventurer will be hard to top.

Last edited by Yuna´s Wish; 31-05-19 at 12:09.
Yuna´s Wish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 12:07   #10
James_Rutland

Tr3
trl
sottr
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote