www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 08-08-21, 16:56   #51
Jathom95
Explorer

^ I think they're just tomb "Guardians" or something like that.
Old 08-08-21, 17:25   #52
Obi_Black
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frceghst8 View Post
A crazy thing about TR 4 is the bulls that try to ram Lara. You can't kill them with any weapon. Are the bulls supposed to be a deity? Or represent a deity?
TR4 bulls are probably inspired by Apis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apis_(deity))

Quote:
This animal was chosen because it symbolized the courageous heart, great strength, and fighting spirit of the king. Apis came to being considered a manifestation of the king, as bulls were symbols of strength and fertility, qualities that are closely linked with kingship.
Aside from that, having bull as a sub-boss is really cool concept and it fits nicely with overal atmosphere and gameplay concept in The Last Revelation, which often uses enemies as an element of puzzles.

Last edited by Obi_Black; 08-08-21 at 19:13.
Obi_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 18:46   #53
Jathom95
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi_Black View Post
TR4 bulls are propably inspired by Apis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apis_(deity))
Wow, good point! That actually does make a lot of sense.
Old 09-08-21, 00:01   #54
Frceghst8
Historian

Nice, thanks for the info Obi Black.
Frceghst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 00:47   #55
fallenangle
Archaeologist

The bulls are not just one of the great TR4 enemies but one of the best enemy ideas in the whole series. They're very well animated, full of character and the introduction to them is exceptionally good. When when you walk down that corridor and then 'something' big bangs into one of the barred doors on the side.

You know its coming but you do not know what it is; that ramps up the tension very effectively.

Last edited by fallenangle; 09-08-21 at 15:15. Reason: typo
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 06:34   #56
Obi_Black
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post

You know its coming but you do not know what it is; that ramps up the tension very effectively.
And this is pretty accurate description of The Last Revelation as a whole. I'm currently finishing it second time in the row (and first time in years) and I think it became my favourite of the classics. TR3 always was the one I loved with my whole heart, while with TR4 it was more of love-hate relationship (since I completed it in 2001 for the very first time). But now it seems I finally learned to love each element of it. Well, except Giza - but now I tolerate it and even enjoy in some places :P

I'm probably going to write more soon, because I'm legitimately surprised with my current reception of TLR.
Old 09-08-21, 17:12   #57
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
The bulls are not just one of the great TR4 enemies but one of the best enemy ideas in the whole series. They're very well animated, full of character and the introduction to them is exceptionally good. When when you walk down that corridor and then 'something' big bangs into one of the barred doors on the side.

I'm not too fond of them myself, but I do quite like the fact that you have you use them to knock into things in order to be able to proceed.
Old 10-08-21, 00:22   #58
fallenangle
Archaeologist

I can't think of any other enemy you can't kill who are as much fun, having to lure them to, as you say, knock into things rather than just run away is unique in TR I think.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 06:59   #59
Obi_Black
Hobbyist

Quote:
I can't think of any other enemy you can't kill who are as much fun, having to lure them to, as you say, knock into things rather than just run away is unique in TR I think.
The Minotaur and undead crusaders in The Citadel work in similiar way, but bull is the most adrenaline pumping "boss", especially if you are playing for the first time I still remember I was scared to death at the beginning of The Guardian of Semerkhet - one of the "benefits" of playing without internet or any spoilers and walkthroughs.

Last edited by Obi_Black; 10-08-21 at 07:02.
Old 10-08-21, 13:31   #60
Mr. Mr.
Hobbyist

Why, oh why, did Eidos change the save system in this game and Chronicles (at least in the Dreamcast and PS1 versions) so each save file only had one level each? Made it difficult to replay levels.
Mr. Mr. is offline   Reply With Quote