Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 01-02-20, 22:04   #1
malferink

Default Developers react to SOTTR speedrun

This is hilarious lol. The developers actually make fun of the game a lot in this video which is nice to see. Also, is this the version 1.00? The game looks so broken in some places, especially graphics wise

Last edited by malferink; 01-02-20 at 22:11.
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-20, 22:08   #2
xspacedude

It’s the PC version with graphics set to low
xspacedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-20, 22:11   #3
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink;[B
8169744](goddamn it I can never make these things to work[/B], here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swBHSE3LIpo )

This is hilarious lol. The developers actually make fun of the game a lot in this video which is nice to see. Also, is this the version 1.00? The game looks so broken in some places, especially graphics wise
[youtube ] v=the_rest_of_the_link [/youtube] <= no space, of course.

I’ve yet to watch it. Does the devs even bash the game?
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-20, 22:13   #4
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink View Post
[youtube]youtube.com/watch?v=swBHSE3LIpo[youtube]
(goddamn it I can never make these things to work)
Just put the bold part inside between the youtube code, not the entire link.

---

Anyway, I need to see this when I have the time, I love speedruns! And I especially love seeing developers react to them!
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-20, 22:38   #5
malferink

thanks guys I found it out while you were replying. and the developers don't necessarily bash the game but they do make fun of it a lot, like the dialogue and some of Laras choices and all that. it's really refreshing to see actually
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-20, 22:42   #6
Portugalraider

Yes, I am watching right now, and it's more like having fun of stuff like Lara not grabbing the dagger but having it on the cutscene with Dominguez, some exploits like replenishing air by reloading checkpoints, like how level designers would be shocked by seeing the player skip entire segments. They're just having fun.

Edit:

That part where they say that Lara in the beginning gained EXP by watching the kid die. xD

Edit 2:

Now this is some really interesting info. Remember how some cutscenes in SotTR are unskippable? According to the devs it is because of some memory issues...

Last edited by Portugalraider; 01-02-20 at 23:05.
Old 01-02-20, 23:15   #7
Rai

That was posted in another thread and I've seen it. It's quite funny, but also quite interesting with some of the stuff they've said. I was particularly interested to learn that an area with those grapple hook things was a puzzle of sorts at one point. Players were meant to work out which colours were the best to choose, but they changed it because play testers couldn't work it out. *sigh*.

Some of the graphics issues are down to the speedrun, where the player is skipping whole sections of the game, so causing some lighting and rendering issues. It is explained in the video. Though I suppose not all of the issues are that.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-20, 23:28   #8
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
... but they changed it because play testers couldn't work it out. *sigh*.
I don't know if you realized, but tons of good ideas were cut, because of these "testers".
I wonder how old are they and how much knowledge they have when it comes to videogames. It's like ppl forgot to have fun, or use their brain.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-20, 23:31   #9
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I was particularly interested to learn that an area with those grapple hook things was a puzzle of sorts at one point. Players were meant to work out which colours were the best to choose, but they changed it because play testers couldn't work it out. *sigh*.
Okay, this will perhaps sound a bit weird, because like basically like everyone here I think the more puzzles in Tomb Raider the merrier, but THANK GOD that puzzles was scrapped!

Why, you ask? You try doing a colour-based puzzle while being colour blind, that's why! Seriously, I've had games that I simply couldn't finish not because I sucked at the game, but because it was literally impossible for me to distinguish between the correct or wrong options (looking at you, Kid Icarus Uprising -_-)...
Old 01-02-20, 23:37   #10
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Okay, this will perhaps sound a bit weird, because like basically like everyone here I think the more puzzles in Tomb Raider the merrier, but THANK GOD that puzzles was scrapped!
You don't even know how that puzzle really looked like. Maybe it was something, that you'd figure out in matter of seconds.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote