Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 28-03-20, 20:50   #1
QwerkyPengwen

Default Help with sound editing in Classic TR Games

OK. so there's a lot of information to sift through and I've sifted quite a bit and am getting nowhere.

So if somebody could expedite the process for me that would be great.

As far as I can tell I need to use the WADMerger software to edit things and I have that.

However, any tutorial I am looking at isn't explaining things very well for me.

I simply want to edit the sounds in Tomb Raider 1 and 3 for now to have the "A-Ha!" sound when she picks up items.

But I can't even begin to know where to start or what I'm even supposed to do to get files opened up to start editing.

All tutorials talk about a sounds.txt file and some WAD file but clearly those aren't things I get as loose files in the installation directory of the games and some files need to be unpacked or something.

So please, can anybody just explain to me what I'm doing to get the files I need to start editing things.

I'm on Discord if anybody wants to hit me up there as well, just send me a Private Message and I'll give you my Discord name.
QwerkyPengwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 20:55   #2
SrDanielPonces

wait do you want to edit sounds in custom levels or mod the classic TRs?
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 23:50   #3
QwerkyPengwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
wait do you want to edit sounds in custom levels or mod the classic TRs?
I want to add the A-Ha! sound back into the games. not with custom levels.
Old 28-03-20, 23:55   #4
TR-Freak
Unverified

practically impossible
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-20, 00:09   #5
Joey79100

What you want to do is modding compiled level files. The tutorials you found are for custom levels before compiling the level file. So you just won't be able to use that.
Also, for custom levels you should not use WADMerger's Sound Manager in any case because it's buggy and ****s up sounds randomly.

To get back to your issue, I guess for TR3 it should be possible *somehow* to insert your sound into an unused slot (or sacrificing an existing slot) of the audio file (cause in TR2 & 3 sounds are all in one file, as opposed to TR1, 4 & 5 that have sounds embedded inside each level file). And even then I'm not sure it's possible at all.
Then, if you manage to do that, what you'd need to do is edit the animations of the level, using TRViewer, find the pickup animation and add a call to that sound you inserted, using an animcommand.
For both steps you might want to look at which sound slot is used in TR2, because it was probably already just kept empty in TR3 (it is in TR4), which means that would be the unused slot you'd use to insert your sound file.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-20, 00:55   #6
QwerkyPengwen

ok. I understand then. guess it'll be a much more pain staking task to attempt to do then. it's no big really, I can live without it.

I would obviously have to learn how to unpack the game files and how to go about modifying them to be able to attempt to do this. not as simple as it apparently is to do for custom levels.

Thanks guys.