www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 02-10-18, 12:55   #41
Joey79100
Professor

I'm sorry, but as much as I like the initial idea, the idea of using a forum as a base is totally a no-go for me. There's too much clutter, for example, everything in red is useless:

And most of the things are not laid out correctly. For example, we should have a well defined layout for the items, let's say pic at left, description at right. Comments are much less important, so they shouldn't have as much space as the item.
The search bar should be easy to access, and the search results (just like normal browsing) should display pics and a short description.
Browsing items should also display the picture and a general description at least, why not a direct link for downloading. It should be possible to sort the items.
What if we want to find someone's creations? What if we want to see the latest creations? Finding related items? These are things that are not meant to be done in a forum, so I don't even think it's possible at all to implement such a thing.

My point is, a forum is just not suited for a hosting website, because it's focused on being a discussion place, not on the files it hosts. Not convenient by design, and you have a big number of useless features, instead of having a website focused on the purpose it's made for.
Old 02-10-18, 18:09   #42
Dustie
Relic Hunter

But that would just be meant as a substitute, not the real deal. That image was used only as an example and I think a lot of the layout can be modded with CSS.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-18, 12:23   #43
Baratheon
Archaeologist

Any updates? Any more suggestions?
Old 08-10-18, 15:15   #44
Wanderlust
Hobbyist

I sure hope this go through.
As for any suggestions I can't think of much besides at least bare minimal what TRsearch had.

Perhaps a more advanced type of search option? I feel like TRsearch results were a bit odd and inaccurate at times from my experience.
Joey makes a good point of probably avoiding the forum esque things at times though.
I think the site should have some sort of forum section but it would be preferable to avoid too much of the forum layout I think.

Not that its terrible either but it may make some pages feel messy. In all fairness I assume this is just some early stages for now.
Delightful banner however.

Last edited by Wanderlust; 08-10-18 at 15:18.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 16:22   #45
Morgau
Hobbyist

Right now I have two suggestions:

1) The ability to add/embed either animated gifs and/or videos to the download pages (which is very useful to showcase animations, effects, etc);

2) If a rating system is used, please do not include the "originality" criteria such as the one at TRSearch. It skews the ratings, since otherwise good creations get lower scores because they're something that has appeared in previous games, for example.

I also like the suggestion someone has made before (sorry, I don't remember who) that the website should have the same system as ModTheSims. I disagree with some users that there shouldn't be space for discussion. I think being able to comment on the features and/or issues of each download is useful.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but as much as I like the initial idea, the idea of using a forum as a base is totally a no-go for me. There's too much clutter, for example, everything in red is useless:
The wrench icons probably only appear for the website admin.
Morgau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 16:35   #46
GabrielCroft
Archaeologist

Oh thank you for that! Amazing idea. We really need a place to share TRLE objects, textures and etc, etc, etc.

I can't access the website for some reason... It says "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED". Any suggestion?
Old 08-10-18, 16:43   #47
tlr online
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielCroft View Post
Oh thank you for that! Amazing idea. We really need a place to share TRLE objects, textures and etc, etc, etc.

I can't access the website for some reason... It says "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED". Any suggestion?
Be up in a few hours, I'm working on the server.
tlr online is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 17:05   #48
GabrielCroft
Archaeologist

Oh, ok!
Old 09-10-18, 15:45   #49
Dustie
Relic Hunter

omg does that mean it's actually happening?
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-18, 17:13   #50
tlr online
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
The general consensus was that forum software wouldn't cut it which means something more bespoke. I have nothing else to show atm however the server and domain are in place.
The forum links in this thread no longer work as this idea has been abandoned. I'm back at the ideas stage again.
tlr online is online now   Reply With Quote