Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 14-01-18, 19:59   #821
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
^ Lara does the same thing when water has uneven surface (it is angled, not flat) so both might be related.
I don't think uneven water surface is ever meant to work in the engine though, due to how collision checks for Lara's movement are programmed. Water surface was never provisioned to be anything else than flat...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-18, 20:16   #822
jhons0529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Just a friendly reminder, since we seem to have new adopters of the editor coming in:

When posting, please mark your bug reports bold red text

and opinions & suggestions in bold blue text.

This will make it a bit easier to see them among all the messages in the thread
You can learn how to do this in your posts here: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/misc...o=bbcode#basic

Might be a portal bug, but not sure. Is the level made from a new PRJ2 or from an imported PRJ?

Either way you could send your PRJ+WAD to Monty for investigation, so he can find what's wrong.
Thanks for the blue+red info, my bad there , I'll be sure to follow that!

The level is fully constructed in TE! I'll try to see if I can send it to monty soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
^ Lara does the same thing when water has uneven surface (it is angled, not flat) so both might be related.
The water in the room I believe is completely flat, there are diagonal walls but they're not in the water. I'll try to see if I've done anything odd in that regard but I'm pretty sure its all flat

But once again I will check that out.
jhons0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-18, 23:19   #823
AngelOfDrkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhons0529 View Post
I'm Encountering something odd, Lara swims to the surface of water and she just shoots up and drops a little, I pretty much did what I always do, not sure if anyone else had this?
I've experienced that in the regular old editor, if a part of the water room is higher than the part where the surface portal connection is. I've noticed TombEditor allows vertical portals to be made even when there are discrepancies in room elevation, so maybe it's that?
AngelOfDrkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-18, 00:15   #824
jhons0529

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDrkness View Post
I've experienced that in the regular old editor, if a part of the water room is higher than the part where the surface portal connection is. I've noticed TombEditor allows vertical portals to be made even when there are discrepancies in room elevation, so maybe it's that?
I've just made sure I'm like really sure the surface is super flat
water is flat and so is the room, I literally flattened everything.

I removed diagonal walls too just in case, so I am a little lost.

Its really odd. Is there not something else that can cause it?

I also tried direct connection between the rooms (no separation whatsoever very directly linked) it still occurs...
Old 15-01-18, 07:39   #825
Joey79100

^
If I understand what happens to you, it's because the portal to the water room in your air room is not the lowest level of the air room (meaning in the air room there are holes that are lower than the water surface). If you want holes like that you have to separate the rooms, this is a common issue even with classic TRLE.

About my issue with crashes after restoring, I guess you can forget it.
I have Windows 10 Falls Creators Update for around a week and half, and it seemed to break DirectX or something with my graphics card (not the integrated one), because every game/software that used DirectX 9 was complaining that DirectX 9 was needed to run. I reinstalled my graphics card driver yesterday, and it seems the problem is solved with Tomb Editor as well (I don't remember exactly if it started with 1.0.5, or with Windows' update and I did not notice before, but I started seeing it with 1.0.5 at least). I guess you should just check if DirectX is available before starting and give an error message if it's missing.

Minor bug: I've reduced the size of my TGA, but there were texture sounds assigned in the part I've removed. So when I open the textures sounds window, there's one line of "ghost textures" (4 64x64 textures) with sounds applied on it.

Suggestion: allowing for Ctrl key to select multiple textures in the Textures sounds window, so we can apply sounds for many textures at once instead of having to re-select everytime if the textures aren't grouped by terrain already.

Bigger suggestion: It seems this theory about where the 2D Map really "ends" is true. In TE, as the map is rotated like to have the in-game North at the top, it gives extra space at left, at the bottom, and at bottom-left. There is no flickering or hair going crazy in there.
Maybe we could have extra grids in there on the 2D Map at these places? Something even better but probably more complicated would be guides to show where the "bounds" are.

Question: is the slide direction stored in floordata? If it is, would it be possible to manually set it in TE?

Suggestion: When you make a portal and there are several rooms available, there's a window asking for which room we want the connection to be made. The only problem is that the position of that window is never remembered, it always appears at the middle of the screen, but the middle of the screen is also where the 2D Map is. It would be great to have the position remembered so it doesn't hide the rooms.

Last edited by Joey79100; 15-01-18 at 09:28.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-18, 19:49   #826
jhons0529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
^
If I understand what happens to you, it's because the portal to the water room in your air room is not the lowest level of the air room (meaning in the air room there are holes that are lower than the water surface). If you want holes like that you have to separate the rooms, this is a common issue even with classic TRLE.

Is what you say occurring here?

I could have sworn rooms like this were always possible
In the image above I cropped the room to purely the water space but the issue still occurs.

Here is the version of the room that hasn't gotten any cropping at all:

Last edited by jhons0529; 15-01-18 at 19:52.
Old 16-01-18, 07:32   #827
TR-Freak
Unverified

^
It does not only have to be the lowest floor of the air room, but also the highest ceiling of the water room.

The Water Room looks like it has holes in the ceiling that are higher than the water surface (left side of the image). You have to crop the water room aswell.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 12:00   #828
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
^
It does not only have to be the lowest floor of the air room, but also the highest ceiling of the water room.

The Water Room looks like it has holes in the ceiling that are higher than the water surface (left side of the image). You have to crop the water room aswell.
Indeed. If you try making this in TRLE/NGLE you'll get an error when creating doors. TE overrides this limit, but such connections with water rooms result in a bug - even though visually everything appears fine, the engine will always treat the highest/lowest level of the dry room as the actual water surface for Lara.

Which is sad, because it would have been awesome if such setups could work correctly. I can imagine this behavior is due to some sort of shortcut Core used in programming Lara's interaction with the environment.

Last edited by Dustie; 16-01-18 at 12:02.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 13:12   #829
Joey79100

I've talked about this a few weeks ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
By the way, when for example no Timer field is specified, the exported trigger won't display. NGLE shows the trigger anyway, just with a default value. This is nice because it can be used for copying on TRF, or when we want a trigger for the script without having to select an object on the map.
Now I realize it wouldn't just be nice, but needed actually. TRNG has a TriggerGroup constant which is TGROUP_USE_FOUND_ITEM_INDEX, which is used to allow using a trigger without specifying an item index but the last item index that was found in the latest condition that has been treated in game. So this is a trigger without an ID.
In TE if we don't select an item, there is just a "Check all fields" message.

In a more general way, when building something in the scripts, sometimes we need to open the editor just for the triggers. This was kinda annoying in NGLE because we had to run it first, and then select the trigger. With TE, we need to run it, then to either set the project as a TRNG project, or open an existing project and select an item to get all the required parameters so we can find the trigger we need. I know this is more something Paolone should solve by adding a trigger window in NG Center, however maybe in the future you could add an option in the settings to choose what type engine we want for new projects by default? This, plus no more need for an item index, would make finding a trigger just as annoying as with NGLE.
Will there be search functions too for triggers by the way?

Something else: have you considered making a separate executable just for converting projects, ala Tom2PC? I know you don't use TOM files anymore, and it's better that way, but when we're not really level building but making other things instead (animations, objects), we don't need TE running in the background. Plus, the Build & Play button is a very small in a big window, and if we happen to reduce the window's size it disappears in a submenu. Having a converter is more convenient in these cases (I like to have many windows opened at the same time instead of having to repeatedly switch between them, they're "ready to use" that way).
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 18:02   #830
TR-Freak
Unverified

What about Editing the Flags of multiple Rooms at the same time?
It would be nice to select multiple rooms in the 2D View (what about stacked rooms?) and simply change the flags (Water, Rain, Mist, Reflection, Outside, Skybox etc) for all selected rooms at once?
We can already set the Ambient Light for all rooms, but that is not suitable for a level with different lighting scenarios
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote