Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 21-11-20, 04:06   #1
DragonSlayer

Default Least favourite TV show genre's

Title says it all, what are your least favourite types of TV shows?

Mine are:

Soap operas I used to like these Coronation Street and EastEnders were my favourites, I stopped watching Coronation Street after Coronation Streets best ever bad guy Richard Hillman failed to kill that dried up old prune Gail.

One of my favourite lines comes from the butcher Fred Elliott when he saw Toyah walking down the street stopped his car got out and said hey Toyota another favourite Fred Elliott line was when Fred and the other hostages said they were hungry when being held hostage in the supermarket, the hostage taker said do you want crisps and Fred was like crisps no I want steak, the hostage taker said how will you cook in here and Curly says barbecues are in aisle 5

I stopped watching EastEnders after Shane Richie left the first time now it's too depressing to watch, when Shane Richie was in it the first time there were smaller light hearted stories alongside the bigger stories, nowadays it takes itself too seriously and it's one big storyline after another.

This Christmas If I still watched EastEnders I'd like them to do something different like no-one having a Christmas they've suffered enough for one year let them have Christmas off, there should be a warning sign for anyone entering Walford that says living here will be damaging to your life and will most likely result in death.

Period drama's, the plots in these TV shows are just ridiculous and are often weird with the characters sometimes doing stupid things, I was channel surfing recently and came across a period drama which I only looked at because I saw someone I thought was attractive.

Anyway for some reason one character didn't like the fact that another character had received a photo that she considered to be inappropriate she was probably jealous, I think that the photo was a picture of the person who received it anyway the other woman for reasons unknown didn't like the fact that she had the photo and took it from her saying it was inappropriate and she was going to lock it away somewhere.

It was never shown what the photo was but given the other person's claim that it was inappropriate, it was probably from a wet corset competition.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-20, 16:47   #2
Blue_light

- Soap Operas. PT soap operas are just really poorly written, extremely predictable, drag themselves unnecessarily, and have a lot of poor logic, so I prefer to not bother with them, in general.

- Big Brother, and its ripoffs. Call me shallow, but I just don't like the vibes the people selected give, so I'm not interested in what they do.

- Singing competitions, dancing competitions, and whatever the "Masked Singer" is. Boring, not my thing, really. The "Got Talents" are more enjoyable, since they add more variety.
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-20, 23:10   #3
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_light View Post
- Soap Operas. PT soap operas are just really poorly written, extremely predictable, drag themselves unnecessarily, and have a lot of poor logic, so I prefer to not bother with them, in general.

- Big Brother, and its ripoffs. Call me shallow, but I just don't like the vibes the people selected give, so I'm not interested in what they do.

- Singing competitions, dancing competitions, and whatever the "Masked Singer" is. Boring, not my thing, really. The "Got Talents" are more enjoyable, since they add more variety.
I never liked Big Brother either too boring with long lengths of time where nothing happens, I watched some of the very first series and found it very boring watching someone asleep in bed for up to 40 minutes with next to nothing happening other than someone occasionally turning over in bed.

The Sims is better as a game, as a TV show it just doesn't work.

As stupid as I found Big Brother to be there was only one time I found it funny which was only because I was channel surfing and happened to land on Big Brother, anyway some guy called Science asked Big Brother for toilet rolls, BB said that he could have them if he could get everyone in the house to stand up with him getting an equal amount of rolls for each person he managed to get to stand up, unlike most of the cringe worthy stuff that happened on BB, it was actually funny watching him trying to get everyone to stand up, I think he scored seven toilet rolls.

I think the show should have been permanently scrapped after the Jade Goody, Shilpa Shetty race row much like The Jeremy Kyle Show last year, racism is not funny.

I don't like singing competitions either, they are so overhyped and pile on the drama like it's a soap opera, I don't give a about your life story just shut up and sing it's why you are there.

That said there was only one good singing competition TV show Stars In Their Eyes hosted by Matthew Kelly between 1993 and 2004, if you haven't heard of it look it up.

I never liked Strictly Come Dancing just wasn't my thing though I can't help but laugh at some of the dodgy dances that they show on Gogglebox, what I didn't like about Strictly the most was Bruce Forsyth's terrible jokes, some of them were so bad all that was missing was some Tumbleweed rolling across the floor.

I liked him when he was a game show host, The Generation Game was one of my favourites.

Is sports TV considered a genre, either way I never liked watching sports on TV unless it was a game show like Big Break and Bullseye.
Old 23-11-20, 12:50   #4
TRhalloween

There are good horror shows out there like Haunting of Hill House but the genre doesn't appeal to me in episodic form. I'd rather watch something scary in under 2 hours, rather than get dragged along.
TRhalloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-20, 13:59   #5
Los Angeles
Inactive

- Comedy (I only like a select few shows from the 90s, they don't make good shows anymore... Dharma & Greg, King Of Queens, etc. were amazing)
- Drama

I like horror & mystery though.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 16:02   #6
Yeauxleaux

I'll watch pretty much anything. Love sitcoms, love dramas in all forms, I can get into soaps with decent storylines, I enjoy documentaries. I'm really not picky.

With "Reality" TV, I'm selective. I like when reality TV doesn't take itself too seriously 24/7. I'd throw Big Brother, light-hearted game shows, Queer Eye, I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, and even celebrity docu-shows like Real Housewives and Kardashians into this pot. Sometimes these shows do have emotional serious moments, but only when it's natural, appropriate and fitting. I love Queer Eye, I find it such refreshing and positive representation for gay men, uplifting and constructive.

What I don't like are the overly earnest and totally humourless reality TV shows like X-Factor, [country]'s Got Talent and some other talent-search shows, to the point they just come off soppy. It's just so overdramatic when they have to act like it's life or death for the contestants on it, like it's the most important thing in the world.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 01-01-21 at 16:23.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 18:54   #7
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I'll watch pretty much anything. Love sitcoms, love dramas in all forms, I can get into soaps with decent storylines, I enjoy documentaries. I'm really not picky.

With "Reality" TV, I'm selective. I like when reality TV doesn't take itself too seriously 24/7. I'd throw Big Brother, light-hearted game shows, Queer Eye, I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, and even celebrity docu-shows like Real Housewives and Kardashians into this pot. Sometimes these shows do have emotional serious moments, but only when it's natural, appropriate and fitting. I love Queer Eye, I find it such refreshing and positive representation for gay men, uplifting and constructive.

What I don't like are the overly earnest and totally humourless reality TV shows like X-Factor, [country]'s Got Talent and some other talent-search shows, to the point they just come off soppy. It's just so overdramatic when they have to act like it's life or death for the contestants on it, like it's the most important thing in the world.
I don't like shows like X Factor either they are so overhyped and on the few occasions I have watched part of an episode the people that are there to sing stand there telling people their sob stories, I'd be like this isn't Doctor Phil or the Jeremy Kyle show just sing.

Lee Evans did a great bit during one of his shows where he thrashed the never ending sob stories on shows like X Factor, I looked for it on YouTube and couldn't find it I did find the video about the sexy sat navs that still makes me

The only singing TV show I liked is Stars In Their Eyes when Matthew Kelly was hosting the show, it was nowhere near as overdramatic as the X Factor and was all the better for it, the people singing just got on with it without sharing overdramatic sob stories.

The one and only time I saw someone on BGT that didn't share their sob story as part of the reason for their being there is Lost Voice Guy, he just got on with it which is what everyone else should do.
Old 01-01-21, 22:13   #8
Los Angeles
Inactive

How can you not like X-Factor? This is iconic:

Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 10:25   #9
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
How can you not like X-Factor? This is iconic:

Yeah I'll grant that the auditions can be pretty funny and entertaining. It's once it gets past the auditions though, when they get to the boot camp phase where everyone in it is serious, that's when it dies for me.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 15:26   #10
DragonSlayer

While I love comedy what I don't like is the sub-genre of comedy that is so not funny they are painful to watch for example exhibit A, Avenue 5 the most unfunny comedy ever made, there are a few funny lines but they are few in number and nearly all the characters are unlikeable, check pages 14 and 15 of the most annoying characters in movies and TV shows topic for specific examples.

There is only one likeable character on Avenue 5 and if she had any brains she would abandon ship, anything would be better than being stuck on the ship of the damned.

For anyone that hasn't seen Avenue 5 picture this, take the character Phoebe from Friends who I've never liked and imagine being stuck on a ship full of Phoebe Buffay's, that's how bad Avenue 5 is.

Avenue 5 has been renewed for a second season, the show doesn't deserve a second season and the show is a waste of Hugh Laurie's time hopefully they have some better writers on board for season 2 ones that know how to make a show funny.