www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 03-05-20, 16:44   #1
LateRaider
Professor

Default [pc version] LEGAL.BMP and TITLEUK.BMP w/ the american logos?

hi, so there was a thread in the tr: chronicles board with tutorials on how to use the US logos in the pc versions. https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...96#post8191196 right now the only classic TR game for PC i have that doesn't use the US logo is TRIII. i'd like to change that.

does anyone know/have versions of LEGAL.BMP and TITLEUK.BMP with the US logo on them? if not, does anyone know how i can get them? it'd be really cool if all my TR games matched. i appreciate the help.

btw, i hate that this has to be said, but i wanna nip this in the bud: i want to use the US logos b/c i like them better so don't even ask. yes i have bad taste. don't even comment something like "ugh i can't understand why anyone would want that." it's not helpful.

Last edited by LateRaider; 04-05-20 at 23:29.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 00:43   #2
CelticGuard
Archaeologist

Tomb Raider III:

---

The Lost Artifact:

Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
i want to use the US logos b/c i like them better so don't even ask. yes i have bad taste.
You have good taste.

Also, if for whatever reason you want it to say `TITLE.BMP` instead of `TITLEUK.BMP` like the official North American version, you can use TombPCEdit to change the string in tombpc.dat.

Last edited by CelticGuard; 04-05-20 at 00:52. Reason: Updated wrong title screen for TR3
CelticGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 02:20   #3
LateRaider
Professor

thank you very much!

i honestly expected to either get no help at all, or get a dressing down by someone who knows better than me on why i'm wrong and shouldn't have made the topic. i'll try these bmp's and get back to you if it works.

my The Last Artifact is already the US version, but i got my TRIII from GOG and for some reason TRII has the US logo but TRIII has the UK logo. it was jarring. (as we know TRI uses the UK logo in all versions for all systems, and due to an oversight by core TR:TLR and TR:C didnt use their US logos in any versions but dreamcast)

Last edited by LateRaider; 04-05-20 at 23:30.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 03:24   #4
laracroftswest
Professor

Do you know how to replace those? I'm using Steam and the same issue persists with mine (UK logos on the legal and title screens). I tried replacing the legal screen the other day only to get crashes. Let me know if it works! Thanks Celtic for posting.

Also, while we're at it, I was looking for how to adjust FOV on TR3 in a really old thread and saw you were posting in there...do you still know how to fix it? I want it resemble more of the PSX counterpart since I'm playing on a wider screen and all that stuff on the sides just gets in the way.

Last edited by laracroftswest; 04-05-20 at 03:36.
laracroftswest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 03:44   #5
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroftswest View Post
Do you know how to replace those? I'm using Steam and the same issue persists with mine (UK logos on the legal and title screens). I tried replacing the legal screen the other day only to get crashes. Let me know if it works! Thanks Celtic for posting.

Also, while we're at it, I was looking for how to adjust FOV on TR3 in a really old thread and saw you were posting in there...do you still know how to fix it? I want it resemble more of the PSX counterpart since I'm playing on a wider screen and all that stuff on the sides just gets in the way.
Regarding the FOV - this is changed using the Advanced, most recent release of the TR234 Widescreen Patcher on tombraiders.net

Make MULTIPLE backups of your tomb3.exe because once you change any value once in one exe, you cannot change it again. So each time you want to change something you'll unfortunately need to start with a fresh tomb3.exe at the time. It may take some fiddling to get your ideal settings the ability to combine different FOV and camera distance settings should help with your PSX style aspect. Personally, I use 16:9, Camera Distance of 1000 and no FOV change. These values I feel suit my standard widescreen monitor well and reflects similarly how the PSX viewed imo

When you're trying to replace UK with US logos, you're just simply over-writing and/or renaming correct? I would think not to edit the images in any way unless renaming them. I'll direct jcbm here

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 04-05-20 at 03:49.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 03:58   #6
laracroftswest
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Regarding the FOV - this is changed using the Advanced, most recent release of the TR234 Widescreen Patcher on tombraiders.net

Make MULTIPLE backups of your tomb3.exe because once you change any value once in one exe, you cannot change it again. So each time you want to change something you'll unfortunately need to start with a fresh tomb3.exe at the time. It may take some fiddling to get your ideal settings the ability to combine different FOV and camera distance settings should help with your PSX style aspect. Personally, I use 16:9, Camera Distance of 1000 and no FOV change. These values I feel suit my standard widescreen monitor well and reflects similarly how the PSX viewed imo

When you're trying to replace UK with US logos, you're just simply over-writing and/or renaming correct? I would think not to edit the images in any way unless renaming them. I'll direct jcbm here
Great, thank you so much! Works like a charm
Old 04-05-20, 04:19   #7
CelticGuard
Archaeologist

Quote:
You could also simply use Arsunt's patch Although manually changing the values also works if you want more fine-grained control over those values.

Quote:
Imgur seems to have uploaded them as PNGs, but you can simply open them in Microsoft Paint and save them as BMP (or any image for that matter) - all that is needed that the file be 640480 pixels, and in the BMP file format
Old 04-05-20, 04:21   #8
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Argh! I hope he makes a TR3 specific thread i had no idea Arsunt patched TR3!! did they end up patching TR2Gold?

Argh! more advertising argh!

You're probably right re the images - but if that does cause a crash that means that UK and US images are a slight different format (maybe 16bit and 32bit etc)

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 04-05-20 at 04:22.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-20, 04:24   #9
CelticGuard
Archaeologist

Quote:
Argh! I hope he makes a TR3 specific thread i had no idea Arsunt patched TR3!! did they end up patching TR2Gold?

Argh! more advertising argh!

You're probably right re the images - but if that does cause a crash that means that UK and US images are a slight different format (maybe 16bit and 32bit etc)
I'm not sure if Arsunt ever worked on TR2Gold, but regarding the images, the easiest way to avoid crashes would probably be to open one of the official BMPs (e.g in Paint), paste your image in the same file and hit save; at least that's how I do it
Old 04-05-20, 04:32   #10
jcdbm
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
does anyone know/have versions of LEGAL.BMP and TITLEUK.BMP with the US logo on them? if not, does anyone know how i can get them? it'd be really cool if all my TR games matched. i appreciate the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroftswest View Post
Hi, I was trying to make the same changes that both of you are making. I'm actually quite glad that I am not the only one looking to make these small changes, as they are quite bothersome when you pay attention to them.

For my Tomb Raider III and The Lost Artifact, I downloaded the images with the US logo, named them LEGAL.BMP and TITLEUK.BMP, and replaced the existing ones in my PIX directories with the new images. If this hasn't worked, try getting a fresh copy of each game and test again. My TR III was based off the Steam download which defaults to the UK version even if you're a US buyer; my TLA was based off an online download I purchased, respectively. I found TR III and TLA are the easiest to change because they are just picture files.

For Tomb Raider II and The Golden Mask, you need to replace the TITLE.PCX and LEGAL.PCX or LEGALG.PCX in the DATA directories. I had to look around the web for different setup files and versions of the games. The Steam download of TR II, like the Steam download of TR III, defaults to the UK version. Also, a lot of versions of TR II out there use the legal screen that contains no logo - this is something I still am searching for, and would greatly appreciate if someone found the appropriate file. I've only seen this in the PS1 versions so far.

For Tomb Raider I and Unfinished Business, I think someone mentioned that there are no title screens with the US logo. And, I don't think the game has a legal screen. I'm basing this knowledge off on the ATI versions. If there was a legal screen and title screen with the US logos out there -- again, I'd love the contribution.

For Tomb Raider IV, I replaced my Steam-downloaded UKLogo.pak with USLogo.pak. For Tomb Raider V, I replaced Logo512.pak with a version that someone on this forum was kind enough to upload for me here (looks like people here have already seen the topic). Strangely enough, my Steam download of Tomb Raider V has a USLogo.pak that, when used to replace UKLogo.pak or Logo512.pak, had no effect. I am still looking for the legal screens with US logo for Tomb Raider IV and V, if anyone could contribute. I've only seen this one in the PS1 versions so far, and I'm not sure if one exists for TR V.

Edit: Seems like I was late to the party, glad you guys could get it working as intended. I myself am still scouting for those legal screens with US logo!

Last edited by jcdbm; 04-05-20 at 05:38.
jcdbm is offline   Reply With Quote