www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 10-01-19, 18:45   #13921
Portugalraider
Professor

RotTR for me: both Trinity and especially Ana weren't really developed in the first movie. You don't know the intentions and motives from movie Trinity, and Lara's complex relation whit Ana deserves to be fully explored. And adding those plot point to the already overcrowded story from SotTR, would only make both stories a disservice.

A SotTR adaptation needs to happen only when Lara is at her worst, both obsessed tired from hunting Trinity, possibly going to extreme ends just to finally have a thrilling yet peaceful life of adventuring. But at the end of the first movie, she is only starting and definitely eager to do more.
An adaption of RotTR in between would allow for Lara to get into that mindset, especially if Lara and Ana sort of make up (even if mistrust and hurt feelings are still present), only to have Lara losing another person she deeply cares because of Trinity.

Besides, as by-the-books as the plot of that game is, I really enjoy the story of RotTR.
Old 10-01-19, 23:01   #13922
FanosCroft
Professor

Tea^
I rewatched TR today and I couldnt stop picturing Alicia in a snowy enviroment wearing a kaki jacket holding a red flare
A ROTTR adaptation NEEDS to happen, ROTTR had everything a catchy blockbuster movie needs to have, drama, breathtaking set pieces, decent story, beautiful enviroment, cool fight scenes, and the daddy story is over.
If its done right, they gp would love it and will be probably consideree better than the first.
Old 11-01-19, 01:49   #13923
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

I think it'd be way too early for an adaptation of Shadow, even though that story has a lot more potential for Lara as a character. Interestingly enough, I think an adaptation of Rise could be even more interesting, now that Richard's story is pretty much over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Besides, as by-the-books as the plot of that game is, I really enjoy the story of RotTR.
Same. I actually really like the simplicity of it.
TrustyBow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 02:41   #13924
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Frankly, I would LOVE for a Rise adaptation to feature cut elements from Rise itself.

Lara’s PTSD/flashbacks of Yamatai (and I hate to say it, but maybe her father too ) would be wonderful, though I’m not sure how that would work, considering movie Lara’s experiences on Yamatai were much less severe or intense than game Lara.
Old 11-01-19, 10:07   #13925
ccroft2003
Archaeologist

I think that for a movie audience they didn't do a bad job of adapting the concept of the 2013 game and that maybe a mix-up of ROTTR and Shadow might be a good sequel.

While the story is definitely important, they tried too hard and took Lara too seriously in the 1st movie which is not what audiences want. They want a bit of fantasy based in the real world with exciting locations/scenery to look at. Just look at Avengers mixing unrealistic characters both in a "grounded", "real" world mixed with space and aliens. THIS is what they need to do with the next TR?

They should mix the snowy mountains of ROTTR (which actually was dull in the game overall) at the beginning of the movie to establish the plot and finish in the Mexican jungle with ACTUAL tombs with TRAPS. Show Lara's athleticism, twin guns with SOME "fantasy elements" while she kicks ass, like in the 2001 movie.

THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO SEE IN THE CINEMA

This provides the opportunity for a flowing story spanning multiple locations which "could" be done on a smaller or similar budget?

Last edited by ccroft2003; 11-01-19 at 10:09.
ccroft2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 12:15   #13926
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroft2003 View Post
I think that for a movie audience they didn't do a bad job of adapting the concept of the 2013 game and that maybe a mix-up of ROTTR and Shadow might be a good sequel.

While the story is definitely important, they tried too hard and took Lara too seriously in the 1st movie which is not what audiences want. They want a bit of fantasy based in the real world with exciting locations/scenery to look at. Just look at Avengers mixing unrealistic characters both in a "grounded", "real" world mixed with space and aliens. THIS is what they need to do with the next TR?

They should mix the snowy mountains of ROTTR (which actually was dull in the game overall) at the beginning of the movie to establish the plot and finish in the Mexican jungle with ACTUAL tombs with TRAPS. Show Lara's athleticism, twin guns with SOME "fantasy elements" while she kicks ass, like in the 2001 movie.

THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO SEE IN THE CINEMA

This provides the opportunity for a flowing story spanning multiple locations which "could" be done on a smaller or similar budget?
I believe that two locations for the sequel would be a bad idea; I mean, in the movie there is barely time for Yamatai and then you'd like both Syberia and Peru together in the same movie? It would make a very weak and rushed plot.
The only way it would work (and the way it should be) is to put a main location (Syberia) and another secondary location (like Syria) but it would be a very short sequence (like 15-20 minutes), like Honk Hong in the movie.

I don't think two main locations like Syberia and Peru would work, the lack of time would ruin them both.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 11-01-19 at 12:28.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 17:45   #13927
AimlessThunder
Professor

Thumbs up

I really hope that we are going to get a Netflix TV Series.
If done right, it could turn out amazing.
Old 11-01-19, 17:56   #13928
Portugalraider
Professor

I don't. Even if it gets streaming exclusive, Tomb Raider, or at least live-action Tomb Raider, NEEDS to be in movie format.

I feel the big Indi-style adventure genre works the best as a movie. Else it's either only small scale adventures that aren't really that exciting, or a big adventure that would work best as a movie gets shopped and loses momentum by being divided in episodes.
Old 11-01-19, 20:07   #13929
andre_costa
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
I don't. Even if it gets streaming exclusive, Tomb Raider, or at least live-action Tomb Raider, NEEDS to be in movie format.

I feel the big Indi-style adventure genre works the best as a movie. Else it's either only small scale adventures that aren't really that exciting, or a big adventure that would work best as a movie gets shopped and loses momentum by being divided in episodes.
I agree.
Another question: how would you feel if "not-reboot" characters (Amanda, Von Croy, Zip, Natla) were introduced? Of course some of their "origin stories" would have to be different...
For example:

-Natla could appear in a post-credit scene in which she hires Pierre to start looking for the Scion.
-Von Croy could have been a teacher of Lara
-Amanda could have been a colleague of Lara during a field research (pretty much like TR: Legend. I could also see if they used what happened in Paraiso to get Lara interested on supernatural stuff - I'm not sure if she believes in the supernatural)
-And of course WINSTON!

These new movies (hopefully) are based on the rebooted games but I would love to see these characters coming to life.

Also this: https://youtu.be/V45VBUX4atc?t=406
I was expecting some words of incentive, but... :c I know she's only talking about the domestic box office, but it hurts.

Last edited by andre_costa; 11-01-19 at 20:14.
andre_costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 22:34   #13930
Portugalraider
Professor

I wouldn't mind returning characters from any continuity, but I really don't care that much for most of them.

Although Amanda or an Amanda-like character could be cool, I think she is one of the best villains in the franchise.