Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 02-07-17, 06:57   #27861
Cochrane
Golden

I'm not sure about the suspension of disbelief; this is stuff that I would have expected Lara to learn before starting her journey, and unlike all her essential gear, this is nothing a well-timed avalanche would take away from her.

But anyway, in other items: According to the Steam global achievement stats, 87% of players got the achievement for entering the Syrian Tomb of the Prophet, and 82.6% got the achievement for surviving the avalanche. Meaning almost a fifth of all players did not manage to make it through the prologue. What on earth are they doing with the game then? I think (but I'm not sure) that these stats do not include people who installed/bought the game but never played it, but it may include those who started it, got to the main menu, then exited it again.

Other fun stats: Only 82.2% translated a monolith. In comparison to the ones who survived the avalanche, that means 0.4% of players simply went past the monolith tutorial section without stopping.

74.2% completed an optional challenge tomb, while only 71.3% rescued Jacob from the Gulag. This proves once more that the decision to make the tombs optional was stupid; people seem to actually seek them out and like them. They should have made the combat optional instead.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 09:06   #27862
JoelCaesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
I'm not sure about the suspension of disbelief; this is stuff that I would have expected Lara to learn before starting her journey, and unlike all her essential gear, this is nothing a well-timed avalanche would take away from her.

But anyway, in other items: According to the Steam global achievement stats, 87% of players got the achievement for entering the Syrian Tomb of the Prophet, and 82.6% got the achievement for surviving the avalanche. Meaning almost a fifth of all players did not manage to make it through the prologue. What on earth are they doing with the game then? I think (but I'm not sure) that these stats do not include people who installed/bought the game but never played it, but it may include those who started it, got to the main menu, then exited it again.

Other fun stats: Only 82.2% translated a monolith. In comparison to the ones who survived the avalanche, that means 0.4% of players simply went past the monolith tutorial section without stopping.

74.2% completed an optional challenge tomb, while only 71.3% rescued Jacob from the Gulag. This proves once more that the decision to make the tombs optional was stupid; people seem to actually seek them out and like them. They should have made the combat optional instead.

Steam statistics are never reliable as sometimes achievements don't activate. Also, it was probably the sideways ice boat tomb considering it was actually RIGHT there and towards the beginning of the game.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 20:05   #27863
Cochrane
Golden

Finished the game. A full review of the parts that I find noteworthy will be forthcoming... eventually. But really, overall, there's not much to say. It does the same things well as the reboot, and the same things badly as the reboot. They differ a lot in detail, but neither is obviously better than the other; it's really just more levels for the same game.

Which probably makes it the closest to TR2-5 of any of the Crystal Games...

Also played Blood ties, and, just checking: Everyone did already compare it to "Gone Home", right? Right. It's way too obvious.

Last edited by Cochrane; 02-07-17 at 20:06.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 02:53   #27864
larafan25

Going through my old photobucket and i just found two of the most ironic things ever created:

thatsthatonthat.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 08:22   #27865
FearEffect

^

Still love the first cover. It's amazing.
FearEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 10:35   #27866
Talos Munera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Quick question: What language are the remnant people supposed to be speaking? Based on their history, it would make sense if it’s Ancient Greek (translated to whatever language we set in the game options for our convenience, most likely for all of us English). But the game also makes it clear that Lara doesn’t speak fluent Ancient Greek, she first has to stare at murals to learn it. Similar things apply to Russian and Mongolian.
They don't speak Ancient Greek. But a Byzantine Greek with Russian influences (ancient Greek is the language of classical Greece, the Byzantine one is also used in Russia and the Orthodox countries). So they will speak a Byzantine Greek with Russian and perhaps even Mongolian terms. But not ancient Greek.

I am sure of this because I speak Greek and understand what the Remnants say (Orthodox rite formulas, the Kurie Eleison) and the Deathless One (modern Greek)

Last edited by Talos Munera; 03-07-17 at 10:37.
Talos Munera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 13:39   #27867
JoelCaesar

How did Jacob heal Jonah after he was stabbed? Am I missing an important detail or something but why didn't he just do that to all his nearby dying remnant family?
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 13:47   #27868
Daring Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
How did Jacob heal Jonah after he was stabbed? Am I missing an important detail or something but why didn't he just do that to all his nearby dying remnant family?
He used his Jesus magic! I think he did heal remnants, but it was mostly off screen/during gameplay portions. I could've sworn there was a scene where you can see him healing a remnant but I can't remember which part.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 13:51   #27869
Rai

He does apparently use some dust, which I assumed was crushed up Divine Source fragment, though it's never explained. Whether he healed his own people, I think so, though there is a scene where someone dies, but maybe that person was too far gone to heal?
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 14:26   #27870
Lara_Fan1

I was under the impression that the Remnants don't know who Jacob is. Remember Lara's line 'You've been lying to them, for generations' or something along that line, so perhaps Jacob healed Jonah in secrete or there are only a handful of close remnants that know Jacobs true identity. So healing his 'family' would blow his cover. I also think he's scared, the Deathless ones are his army that have turned, perhaps he doesn't want a repeat of what happened?

Last edited by Lara_Fan1; 03-07-17 at 14:28.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote