www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 12-01-19, 21:11   #21
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
I think secret areas in tombs was better than secret tombs. It's clear to me the devs have to choose between making many small tombs or a few huge ones, they've been trying to balance it out since 2013 without success. That is why I think it's best if they make fewer tombs, which means getting rid of optional ones, but put more effort into these few. Make them larger and put the secrets in them. Also, having only one thing to collect per tomb is formulaic and artificial.
They also had more rewards, that actually worked because the game was designed around it.

Oh boy I got more EXP or a combat skill to make combat that was already easy to the point of being tedious more easy.

That doesn't even hold a candle to finding a new gun or rare ammunition for a powerful weapon.

It's like a good Survival horror game in that sense.

Intentionally or not, alot of the PS1-era game's DNA was shared with Survival Horror games.

Last edited by Samz; 12-01-19 at 21:19.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 22:18   #22
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I think what would solve this would be that the hub system needs to be flipped: many of the hubs in the reboot have been bland forest are town areas with not really a lot to do in them whilst the actual tombs such as the monestary in the reboot, the prophets tomb,the flooded archives and the orrery from rise etc are visually impressive but limited in their scope.

To me the tombs should be the hubs where you have to go off and explore them come back and the town/forest bits should be more linear and potentially where the story segments take place.

Think of the tombs being like Palace Midas, St Francis folly, Thailand and Mexico type areas.

Whilst the town etc sections should be like Cozumel/ San Juan from Shadow. Dan Juan in particular really nailed what a town like location should be like in. Modern TR game.
Old 22-01-19, 21:44   #23
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
To me the tombs should be the hubs where you have to go off and explore them come back and the town/forest bits should be more linear and potentially where the story segments take place.

Think of the tombs being like Palace Midas, St Francis folly, Thailand and Mexico type areas.

Whilst the town etc sections should be like Cozumel/ San Juan from Shadow. Dan Juan in particular really nailed what a town like location should be like in. Modern TR game.
I like the little forest HUBs though. I use the word 'little' because most of them look very big at first, but end up being being completed in just a few minutes. I found them somewhat boring in Rise because there was no environmental appeal to explore them, but in Shadow there were plants everywhere, lakes with fish and monkeys hanging in the trees. The collectibles were also a lot more fun to go after somehow.

I do agree that San Juan was the best open area from Shadow. It wasn't suffocating, you could take it step by step. Whereas Paititi is a lot of fun as well, but it takes way longer to memorize the points of interest.
Old 15-02-19, 20:45   #24
Cat Woman
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
I like the idea of Croft Manor playing as a hub, but I would like it if it were simple like in every other TR game in which you simply choose Croft Manor from the main.

Also the Manor has to be expanded, bigger and full of stuff to do, stuff to find and stuff to see ala TRA or TR3.

The Manor should be designed while keeping in mind that it is a playground bc that is technically what it's always been.
Yes, I would like to be able to revisit the Manor in the games (inside and out and underneath) and just picking from the main game would be easier. Any way to go back would work for me too.