www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 17-11-18, 15:14   #11
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

I canít really say I agree. Not exactly. Shadow got things just right, or at least it was heading in the right direction. I think there should be a little more combat, but only a little. It just needs balance, and I think Shadow was doing a good job at achieving that, but the combat got the shorter end of the stick.
Old 17-11-18, 15:22   #12
_Seth
Explorer

I'd like more combat with animal enemies such as bears, tigers, panthers and some supernatural enemies such as statues come to life, skeletons, monsters.
Old 17-11-18, 18:15   #13
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

I'm fine with the amount of combat in Shadow, they just need to add a couple of secondary modes with a lot of combat and replayability.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 19:57   #14
Blue_light
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
As has been said before too, the issue isn't so much the amount of combat, it's also the lack of variety these games have, especially 2013 and Rise (not so much Shadow). It's all human mercenary enemies for the most part, lacking in supernatural enemies and animal encounters like the old games had. It needs better variety and more classical boss battles.

There's also an issue in the reboot games that, maybe again excluding Shadow but still now to an extent, their puzzle and platforming/exploration elements still aren't fully developed and complex enough. So on those sections where there's no combat, there's not much interesting in its place except for "running around aimlessly" as you put it. There's still more they could do with opening up the exploration a little (not necessarily "open world", but less linear/more complex level design) and more involved grander-size puzzles to flesh things out where there isn't combat.
Once again nailing it.

Equally a problem of Shadow for me was that it had a huge amount of dead space. TR1 had little combat, but it compensated by adding variety with the environment interaction.
Old 17-11-18, 22:07   #15
jackraider
Archaeologist

More combat with the monstrum please!
Old 17-11-18, 23:22   #16
moodydog
Relic Hunter

Disagree.

Don't need mercs, I'm bored of them. Possibly more interesting creature/ animal like enemies. Trolls, yetis, spiders, mummies etc.

I was satisfied with the lack of combat in Shadow, it is a Tomb Raider game after all...
But, if they could fill the game with puzzles and exploration, then that would be great.

Last edited by moodydog; 17-11-18 at 23:23.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 23:22   #17
Grimaldi
Professor

I definitely had an itchy trigger finger for the first couple of hours of Shadow, and I think the problem was how the gameplay is still largely geared towards combat (looking at the skill tree, itís still nearly completely devoted to it), so thereís this clash between level design thatís suited for exploring with some nice puzzles and a control scheme more suited for a higher frequency of combat sections and action setpieces. It leaves you feeling unsatisfied in at least one area, potentially both.

I agree more variety wouldíve helped fix the issue and given more of a balance. Itís a real shame they didnít increase the animal encounters or feature anything else beside the jaguars, which was one of my favourite parts but you almost never see one again. Supernatural enemies that arenít strictly humanoid would be great as well, even things that arenít overly mystical, like the Naga.

I donít agree the series needs more fighting though. With the rebootís gameplay, yes, thatís what itís really built for, but Iíd hope weíll see something different for the next game. Combat in TR only needs to be a palate cleanser, something quick and exciting to keep us on our toes between puzzles.
Old 18-11-18, 00:01   #18
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodydog View Post
Disagree.

Don't need mercs, I'm bored of them. Possibly more interesting creature/ animal like enemies. Trolls, yetis, spiders, mummies etc.

I was satisfied with the lack of combat in Shadow, it is a Tomb Raider game after all...
But, if they could fill the game with puzzles and exploration, then that would be great.
Tomb Raider was never abscent of Combat, it had quite a lot of combat actually. Thing is Tomb Raider didn't have the combat in battle sections. The eneimes were scattered and placed strategically within the level or would appear after a certain event was triggered.

We need more combat, but we need an overhaul of combat because it was just as important as everything else.
Old 18-11-18, 00:04   #19
Samz
Professor

Accidental Double post.

Last edited by Samz; 18-11-18 at 00:09.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-18, 00:05   #20
jackraider
Archaeologist

Personally not a big fan of the arena duck-n-cover set pieces. Really boring for me. Would rather flip, jump, and shoot my way out of a situation and get on with it.