www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 11-12-18, 18:01   #1
JuditePrince12

Default In Depth Tomb Raiding

One thing I hope for the most in the next Tomb Raider, is a less linear approach to tombs. A lot of the tombs follow the direction of point a to point b, solve puzzle then leave. I would like to see backtracking and more diversity to this part of the game. Different hallways, secret rooms and trap doors. This is one of the main reasons why I'm tired of the hubs. There's so much put into them when that massive size scaling of them can be dedicated to tombs. I don't mind levels as they help keep the game organized and areas separated from too much going on. If Croft Manor does return, it'd be amazing to see it become a single hub where you can depart on mission/levels around the world.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 18:17   #2
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
One thing I hope for the most in the next Tomb Raider, is a less linear approach to tombs. A lot of the tombs follow the direction of point a to point b, solve puzzle then leave. I would like to see backtracking and more diversity to this part of the game. Different hallways, secret rooms and trap doors. This is one of the main reasons why I'm tired of the hubs. There's so much put into them when that massive size scaling of them can be dedicated to tombs. I don't mind levels as they help keep the game organized and areas separated from too much going on. If Croft Manor does return, it'd be amazing to see it become a single hub where you can depart on mission/levels around the world.
I agree, hubs should act like the hubs in TR4 did. As a place that connects all the main areas in that section of the game. It shouldn't be the area where all the main gameplay is, the main gameplay should be in the areas that connect to it.
Old 11-12-18, 18:40   #3
Portugalraider
Professor

Hubs are just not well used in the reboot games. You have these complex environments, but only with one way in and one way out, and just one true way to truly advance the plot.

Personally I want them to stay, but make them smaller (TReboot size, for example) yet more interconnected, so exploration is actually needed to advance the story. And of course, have some of those hubs be actual Tombs as well. I think the best modern 3D example would perhaps be at least the 1st Dark Souls, yet I still think games like Super Metroid are perhaps the closest to what I would like, just with area unlocking tied to puzzle solving and not to equipment unlock.
Old 11-12-18, 20:40   #4
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

I would argue that the reboot involves more in depth tomb raiding than the classics. True the classics had larger rooms. I do wish this would make a comeback, but Reboot did a better job of showing how Lara would actually traverse these tombs and find them. Specifically, I really like that they emphasize rock/ice climbing and spelunking, as those are two skills that I would expect Lara to be an expertise in if she were to raid tombs. Also the rope in Shadow adds a lot.

Ideally we'd have a combination of Reboots traversal and the classics massive rooms.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 20:44   #5
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I would argue that the reboot involves more in depth tomb raiding than the classics. True the classics had larger rooms. I do wish this would make a comeback, but Reboot did a better job of showing how Lara would actually traverse these tombs and find them. Specifically, I really like that they emphasize rock/ice climbing and spelunking, as those are two skills that I would expect Lara to be an expertise in if she were to raid tombs. Also the rope in Shadow adds a lot.

Ideally we'd have a combination of Reboots traversal and the classics massive rooms.
This. The classic and reboot tombs each have great stuff about them, and combined, they could be drop-dead gorgeous tombs with amazing gameplay.
Old 11-12-18, 21:04   #6
Aikon
Historian

Yeah, one path/way only is pretty annoying and it hurts replayability IMHO.

Which is why I think that Tomb Raider should aim for the level design of Dishonored and Deus Ex.
Where in every run you find something new and exploration is always worth it.

I mean, in those games you go from point A to point B as well.
But you have 3 paths for doing it and every path requires a different approach.

Lara doesn't have the powers of Emily, Corvo or Jensen but she's skilled as hell!
Aikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 21:25   #7
JuditePrince12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post

I don't mean classics per say. More LAU. They had traversal, beautiful designs, and diverse puzzles inside and outside the tombs. Arguably better than the reboot. Do you remember Coastal Thailand? The reboot side tombs are extremely linear and though the rooms are big, they follow simple paths and are overall simple.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 22:11   #8
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
I don't mean classics per say. More LAU. They had traversal, beautiful designs, and diverse puzzles inside and outside the tombs. Arguably better than the reboot. Do you remember Coastal Thailand? The reboot side tombs are extremely linear and though the rooms are big, they follow simple paths and are overall simple.
The reboot side tombs are very linear, which is a big complaint for me. Balance is key. Thailands a really good example.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-18, 20:17   #9
interstellardave
Tomb Raider

I think, overall, Shadow has the best tombs of any TR game. I really do. I also agree, though, that I want them to continue to get bigger, more complex, and less linear. The more time spent in these tombs, the better, because it's the best part of the TR experience--and always has been.
Old 24-12-18, 20:29   #10
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

I like the idea of Croft Manor playing as a hub, but I would like it if it were simple like in every other TR game in which you simply choose Croft Manor from the main menu.
However the Manor should not be scripted like it was in Rise and the camera definitely needs to stay away from Lara. Give the player FREEDOM. Also the Manor has to be expanded, bigger and full of stuff to do, stuff to find and stuff to see ala TRA or TR3.

The Manor should be designed while keeping in mind that it is a playground bc that is technically what it's always been.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 24-12-18 at 20:35.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote