www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 20-12-18, 14:17   #21
iWANEX
Gold Contributor

- Sexy Lara. Give me a feminine but muscular Lara (Shadow style prior the final version). Witty, sassy and confident. That's who Lara Croft is. No bikinis, no Lara using her sexuality to take advantage of the situation, no blowing kisses, etc. It's so cringeworthy and a disservice to the original character, you know, the one who would shoot you in the face for wanting to see her take a shower.

Take a look at the Sola outfit. It's not trying to make Lara sexy at all. It's practical and cool and she wore it with confidence. In fact, it's the type of outfit I can see Reboot Lara wearing no problem. Now let's take a look at the TRU outfit. Notice any differences? Anyway, just give me a savage, the way TR1 Lara was envisioned, not the distorted character she became to be, prior the reboot.

- Grid system and tank controls. Every time someone around here says that in order for TR to be TR those 2 things should come back I want to kill myself. I'm so so so happy they are long gone and we will never have to deal with them again. Even if they remake the classics, I'd be surprised if they left that intact. Honorary mention to block pushing: probably the worst thing about the classics. I HATED having to push blocks with passion. It was soooooo slow and clunky. Ugh.

- Cheesy and undeveloped secondary characters. Something we still need to endure these days (Mathias being the worst case from this era, imo).

- Simplistic story. Yup, this saga needs to up their game if they want to keep it relevant. It's a shame none of the stories we've had so far have been truly compelling.

- Auto aim, infinite ammo and combat in general. Reboot's combat is more my style and a little more strategic sometimes. I wouldn't want to keep shooting a monster when doing side flips until it drops again.

- Save Crystals, although I used to play on PC and I didn't have a problem saving anywhere, I wouldn't want this to come back at all.

- This. I don't want to see this again:

Those are the things I can think of right now. I feel like I would welcome pretty much the rest about the classics: Sense of wonder, puzzles, keys, levers, supernatural elements, duals, backpack, etc.
iWANEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 16:17   #22
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

- Little to no story (though it changed with TR4 onwards) .
- Grid .
- Tank controls .
- Block pushing .
- Having to hold a button when hanging off ledges/ladders , otherwise Lara dies . (remembers the gigantic ladder in TR2 and cringes in disgust) .
- Sexualization of Lara , the way IWANEX described above .
- Individual levels .
- Auto aim and the combat system in general .

Last edited by Patrick star; 20-12-18 at 16:18.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 16:23   #23
Portugalraider
Professor

iWANEX, why did you had to include a picture of that spawn of satan in your post? :'(
Old 20-12-18, 16:30   #24
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
iWANEX, why did you had to include a picture of that spawn of satan in your post? :'(
Yeah . But then if he typed "she-who-must-not-be-named" we wouldn't know for sure who's he talking about , for all we know it could be that Atlantean queen some people were so pissed that an ending hinting at her return for a 3th or 4th time to the TR universe was -thankfully- scrapped off
Old 20-12-18, 20:37   #25
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
The constant want to actively avoid anything the tiniest bit sexy has become a ball and chain on Lara in the reboot that is diminishing creativity. I get the point on marketing but last thing we need to be doing is giving the devs more encouragement to make more of the drab and monotonous attire that we got in Shadow. We don't need oversexualisation but an approach like LAU would be massively better than what we have now.
I approve of this message
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 21:14   #26
JuditePrince12

What's wrong with her wearing something that shows skin like a bikini or the Japan dress (which I'm not sure why it get's so much hate) That's what makes her unique. She doesn't care how she looks, that's why she gives fans the confidence to help themselves. That's an amazing character trait. Yes it would be silly for her to wear shorts in the Arctic, but she can experiment in the right places. The SOLA wetsuit is a good start though. I just don't want Lara to have the physique of a swim suit model and no definition. That's when she'll look like a barbie doll and come across as a silly character. Give her more muscle like before they toned it down and if she shows her stomach give her some abs.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 21:22   #27
Chamayoo
Professor

Pushing blocks was indeed tedious and boring in the Classics. Though I still like the ability to push things, I think with Legend and onward they did it right !

Edit : about showing skins I'm totally indifferent, I like the AOD suit as well as the Underworld one. Sola not that much

Last edited by Chamayoo; 20-12-18 at 21:28.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 22:59   #28
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
What's wrong with her wearing something that shows skin like a bikini or the Japan dress (which I'm not sure why it get's so much hate) That's what makes her unique. She doesn't care how she looks, that's why she gives fans the confidence to help themselves. That's an amazing character trait. Yes it would be silly for her to wear shorts in the Arctic, but she can experiment in the right places. The SOLA wetsuit is a good start though. I just don't want Lara to have the physique of a swim suit model and no definition. That's when she'll look like a barbie doll and come across as a silly character. Give her more muscle like before they toned it down and if she shows her stomach give her some abs.
Its really only the Promotional material I have a problem with generally, but the Underworld wetsuit and Bikini were clearly to cater to a certain demographic IMO.

I still enjoy Legend/Underworld regardless and they don't seriously detract from the game, but it was a little awkward having to explain to a friend that the game forces that certain wetsuit on you in the first level.

I do like the dress though, not for the boob window or the fact the dress is torn means you can catch a few glimpses....but I like how Lara isn't a complete tomboy like most strong female characters, she's feminine sure, doesn't stop riding quad bikes and killing a dragon, but that doesn't stop her wearing dresses when at the Opera or having a pink-ish bed with a Leopard print couch.

So I'd like the dress if they tonned it down, just give me the Chronicles one with those opera-glove things, Gloves are cool.

Last edited by Samz; 20-12-18 at 23:04.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 23:20   #29
JuditePrince12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Its really only the Promotional material I have a problem with generally, but the Underworld wetsuit and Bikini were clearly to cater to a certain demographic IMO.
I agree with how they would promote her as being a little much. That was just a poor excuse for marketing. The whole posing for Playboy was just weird to see a naked pixelated character . It was lame to see them just look for men to buy the game instead of actually developing her character. As for the open dress I didn't really see a problem since it was a party, not some rich people auction or the opera. If Lara does attend some modern place where she has to wear a dress, I wouldn't mind something classy with gloves. I think long dresses are a good look for Lara. I would love another playable action moment where Lara is put in an unlikely circumstance though, and fighting with her dress lol.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 23:25   #30
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

I have always been of the opinion that people should be able to choose the outfit themselves at the start of a game, like in Underworld, and let there be a large selection of outfits that cater to every major school of thought.

But in this reboot era Crystal D's philosophy doesn't seem to be that people should be able to play the game the way they want it: quite the contrary: you're gonna have the experience we want you to have and no customization is allowed.

To quote Bill O'Reilly: why do you hate freedom?
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote