www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 10-01-19, 23:47   #11
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

If there is one thing every iteration of Lara Croft, no matter what media, has proven the world is that Lara Croft is one hard bitch to kill.

Shadow did not underperform so much that SE would consider dropping the franchise, hell I think even AOD did not manage to do that (it sold like a million copies in release time, even for a flop it managed to hit the million mark). If the reboot had done worse than it did (like half the sales it has right now), than we might be talking about the death of the franchise, but as it stands the games underperformed in SE's eyes but they know it is still a franchise that sells millions of copies per entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Thing is, I think a Spyre style remake also wouldn't light the video gaming community on fire. Square could of course just promote it smart and efficiently, but too bad because they seem to be physically unable to perform such things.
Marketing would indeed be key to make them successful. But alas, every TR release after TR2013 had terrible marketing that did affect game sales, so I don't see the remasters doing that well too, no matter how good they are.

I could also see the public really embracing the return of Classic Lara in non isometric games as well.
Old 11-01-19, 00:38   #12
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

Thinking about it now, if Final Fantasy's still around, Tomb Raider ain't going anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiz19 View Post
I just don't think releasing remasters of the classics is really indicative of what people want, especially when the games just haven't aged well. As a classic fan I still love and play them, but any modern casual games would hate them. Especially when trying to deal with the camera and just the general difficulty.
I think it really depends on how much is remastered. A simple HD port wouldn't cut it, but something akin to Anniversary could make a huge impact. With how easy games nowadays are, I think the difficulty of the original games could actually help it find a new audience.

I'm pretty sure it would be a success, I'm just not sure how successful. I think it definitely has a lot going for it with the 90s nostalgia and also Lara being the first notable female game protagonist. Gaming has become even more popular than it was back then, as well as "girl power" in media.

I'd be interested in seeing the public's reception to the classic's save system.

Last edited by TrustyBow; 11-01-19 at 00:55.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 00:45   #13
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

I shutter to think that were going to be dealing with reboot for a long time. But then again Shadows performance could lead to some much changes. One can only hope, but we'll see.

Just give me some damn remasters of classics and I won't care.
Old 11-01-19, 01:01   #14
lance6439
Legend

Reboot is too iconic and successful
Old 11-01-19, 01:16   #15
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Iconic, I doubt that, successful? Well, the first game was successful and the second did alright, but Shadow? Hmm...yeah I don't think so.
Old 11-01-19, 01:27   #16
lance6439
Legend

Lol! TR franchise is still iconic. Mostly because of Angelina Jolie but the resurrection and success of the Reboot franchise. Lara was one of the very first female video game characters soooo she’s definitely not forgotten.
Old 11-01-19, 01:35   #17
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Lol! TR franchise is still iconic. Mostly because of Angelina Jolie but the resurrection and success of the Reboot franchise. Lara was one of the very first female video game characters soooo shes definitely not forgotten.
Oh I agree with that, she is iconic, I just meant that her current iteration definitely isn't rememberable. I'd say the first reboot 2013 is the closest the rebooted version of the character ever came to being iconic, but overall the rebooted version of her character made by Sqeenix isn't anything people will remember all that well.

They'll remember Lara as she was, mostly by the character that had been established by Angelina, the one with her classic elements and attributes.
Old 11-01-19, 01:37   #18
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Lol! TR franchise is still iconic. Mostly because of Angelina Jolie but the resurrection and success of the Reboot franchise. Lara was one of the very first female video game characters soooo shes definitely not forgotten.
Tbh, I dont think TR is still iconic due to Angie lol. She's a big part of it, yes, but I think it also has to do with the legacy TR set up for itself in the 90s. Lara was huge, and I think its really hard to kill her off.
Old 11-01-19, 02:42   #19
Error96
Explorer

However the games perform there is always going to be a place for Lara and Tomb Raider. Even if say 5 years down the line, worst case it crashed out of AAA titles (which I highly doubt will happen) it would still get picked up by an indie studio. Iterations may change a lot and I think after Shadows reaction they will move on from current reboot TR in the medium term but there will always be some form of TR. It survived the shift from Core to Crystal and Rise's misjudged exclusivity arrangement so I think is pretty bulletproof.

Quote:
I think Lara herself is iconic, rather than the current reboot or maybe even the games in general. The original image and characterisation is ingrained in gaming history. The work in the mid-90's gave an icon that far outlasted Core themselves. I don't think reboot Lara is as iconic (for me the least in the series). I think it would be welcomed to see more of the classic version of Lara maybe with remakes or a spinoff title. That being said overall there is such an amazing character in Lara that I can't see anything stopping her.

Last edited by Error96; 11-01-19 at 02:46.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 02:44   #20
Swiz19
Explorer

Quote:
Reboot is iconic? I mean, maybe you could argue 2013, but it wasn't exactly unique even for it's time...

They're solid games, sure, but iconic? They aren't going to be remembered in 10 years, there's currently nothing original about the franchise and they have completely lost Lara's iconic identity.
Swiz19 is offline   Reply With Quote