www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 26-01-19, 21:21   #1
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

Default Continuation, Back to the Roots, Hyrbrid, or another Reboot?

First I just want to say I don't want this to be an old vs new argument, nobody here is more right than the other, this is just personal preference on where you want the series to go from here. Feel free to share your thoughts.

Here's my definitions from the title:

Continuation - Following the events of SOTTR, holding true to the style of the reboot with gameplay and continuing their own new story. Lara becoming more confident with every game, but with a multi-faceted personality and emphasis on character development. Same emphasis on side characters and Lara having friends. Created for a wide audience with the ability to choose how hard or easy you want the game to be (SOTTR difficulty system)

Back to the Roots - Scrap the reboot style altogether and move forward with a stylish and campy classic feeling Tomb Raider experience. Less realistic, cartoon/ comic book style, Loner Lara, cheeky one liners, lever/ key/ back and forth collecting style puzzles in big environments that overall link to one another, acrobatic combat. Very challenging with no hand-holding, geared for a more hardcore audience.

Hybrid - Mesh modern Tomb Raider with Classic Tomb Raider. I personally consider LAU to be a hybrid style of classic and current, but honestly there are tons of way to merge them leaning more or less in either direction

Another Reboot - Completely change the game with obvious inspiration from either the classics, LAU, or the prior reboot (or even bits and pieces from all), while doing something different like creating a full open world.

Honestly I feel like the series could go in so many directions at this point, either of these are a possibility from my perspective.

I would be open minded to all of these options to be honest. Though if I were to choose which direction I would want for the series, going back to the classic roots would be my favorite. Playing remakes like RE2 demonstrate so much how older gameplay styles can still work in modern gaming. I want to see the classic TR style live on. The more I go back and play the first 5 games, the more I miss them and can't help but want to see a true Tomb Raider game again. In my book the last faithful Tomb Raider experience we have had was TRC.

But I still have a lot of love for LAU and the reboot games too, so whatever is next I will certainly be excited for.
Old 26-01-19, 21:27   #2
tomblover
Tomb Raider

I would also be open to any of these possibilities, honestly. I'd be most interested in a hybrid of old and new, though - or even a full reboot, again, even if that would be kind of silly at this point.

Having said that, I think if the game went "back to the roots", it would be more akin to having another reboot, rather than playing like the classics - just by nature, since it's not the 90s anymore in terms of game mechanics...

Last edited by tomblover; 26-01-19 at 21:29.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 21:28   #3
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

Continuation and Hybrid I guess?

Shadow, imo, was a pretty good mix of Classic and Reboot playstyles. I do want to see it further imbued with classic elements though, so yeah I'd have to go with those two.

Great thread idea. I can already tell it's gonna get heated in here

Last edited by TrustyBow; 26-01-19 at 21:32.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 21:29   #4
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Continuation - If we want the franchise to stick around.

Another Reboot - another reboot in terms of a new style of game play but continuing the story, not another origin tale.

I'm happy with the other experiences listed but if that prevails, I hope people don't mind digital only releases with smaller teams making the game because that style of gameplay just isn't commercial. That upsets people but at the end of the day, they gotta sell copies.

It's a business and the other types of styles just don't have no business sense. I mean if you submitted a proposal for a $75M investment, similar games and their sales and performance wont bode well for $75M and they can't type down "Just because! 400 fans want it, that's $24,000 at least in sales. AOD 4 LIFE"

I guess I want a new game that's really creative. That can't be compared to other titles because no one else went there. I don't know what that is though.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 26-01-19 at 21:30.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 21:39   #5
Portugalraider
Professor

Can I suggest a possible 5th possibility?

Metamorphosis:Not a continuation at least in the gameplay perspective, not really an hybrid because it's not just a mesh of new and classic, not necessarily a full reboot because it could still be a continuation of the same universe. Just something different with still a definitively Tomb Raider flavor.

I did make a thread of how I think the franchise could make this "evolution" or "metamorphosis" some time ago. And while I hadn't yet played SotTR at the time, my opinion still remains quite the same. But TL/DR: just give me the puzzle-based 3D Metroidvania game that I think would fit Tomb Raider much better than an Open World, and would make the franchise stand out once again from all the Action Adventure games out there.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 26-01-19 at 21:40.
Portugalraider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 21:41   #6
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

Looking at games like the RE2 remake, as well as Spyro and Crash remakes, I don't get the argument that old style gameplay doesn't work for current style games. Maybe I'm just acting like an old lady here, but most games these days hold your hand and feel more like interactive stories. PSOne and PS2 era of games were the best ever made in my opinion. I'd rather see games expanded with technology, when in reality in many ways they have just been using the technology to make games easier albeit prettier.

But modern gaming is still great. I adore SOTTR, I think I'm just on a huge nostalgia kick right now. Replaying TRLR on PSX at the moment and I'm scratching my head in confusion as to why this style of gameplay is just gone. Apart from the controls, there's no reason why classic TR wouldn't flourish. Heck, even if Tomb Raider never goes back to that style I want to see a brand new franchise do it because it's incredibly fun and in my opinion would work extremely well with modern games, both high and low budget.
Old 26-01-19, 21:44   #7
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
Looking at games like the RE2 remake, as well as Spyro and Crash remakes, I don't get the argument that old style gameplay doesn't work for current style games. Maybe I'm just acting like an old lady here, but most games these days hold your hand and feel more like interactive stories. PSOne and PS2 era of games were the best ever made in my opinion. I'd rather see games expanded with technology, when in reality in many ways they have just been using the technology to make games easier albeit prettier.

But modern gaming is still great. I adore SOTTR, I think I'm just on a huge nostalgia kick right now. Replaying TRLR on PSX at the moment and I'm scratching my head in confusion as to why this style of gameplay is just gone. Apart from the controls, there's no reason why classic TR wouldn't flourish. Heck, even if Tomb Raider never goes back to that style I want to see a brand new franchise do it because it's incredibly fun and in my opinion would work extremely well with modern games, both high and low budget.
Lets see how much RE2 makes in the end. But both Spyro and Crash together didn't make enough money combined that would cover the cost of a AAA game like Tomb Raider. Again, I said we can go with the other two options but smaller studio, take Tomb Raider out of the big leagues and to reduce risk and cost: make it digital only.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 21:46   #8
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

I think its mostly the grid system. Not to mention the slower pace. I mean look at the outcry that came from Shadow focusing more on exploration over combat. People got bored. Players nowadays aren't used to being stuck for more than 5 minutes.

Last edited by TrustyBow; 26-01-19 at 21:47.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 21:50   #9
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post

More systemic games are making a comeback, and the classic games were very much systemic games on their core. I don't think the "exact" kind of gameplay would work that well in modern gaming, because it is still a bit too slow and clunky, but the same design philosophy of the classic games with modern gameplay standards could indeed work wonders.

I just don't know if SE would be willing to give any developer the proper time and resources to make a game in such mold though. Game's like that do take their time, especially to make sure every system can work with all other systems present in the game. It is why Zelda Breath of the Wild's development took so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I think its mostly the grid system. Not to mention the slower pace. I mean look at the outcry that came from Shadow focusing more on exploration over combat. People got bored. Players nowadays aren't used to being stuck for more than 5 minutes.
I'd say that, after playing the game, one of the main problems with the "lack of combat" is also that basically all hubs but one were social environments without random combat encounters. Both TReboot and RotTR would throw some enemies in the hubs for us to kill from time to time. That, and the fact that some puzzle areas are large enough to have like a wolf or a jaguar jumping at you when you arrive or solve a part of the puzzle, yet you are just solving puzzles for most time (the only exceptions are puzzles in areas where the Yaxill are present). That is something even the classics would do.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 26-01-19 at 21:55.
Portugalraider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 22:00   #10
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I think the outcry with SOTTR's slow place was due to the more mainstream audience who were used to TR2013 and ROTTR being action heavy and super easy in the puzzle aspects.

For that specific audience who prefer action games I don't think it would go over well, but there will always be a market for puzzle games in general imo.

Even among TR fans, just look at the Nicobass TR2 remake. Felt more like TRLAU style with some more classic based puzzles, but received resounding praise from fans and got huge publicity among gamers in general.

Hard to say for sure, but at the very least I'd love to see SE outsource for a classic style TR experience where the developers had the freedom to stay true to the old formula. Could be pretty low budget too being that cutscenes don't need to be super grand and only need a few in general.