www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 06-02-19, 21:16   #61
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I wanna know how and why people think open world is either necessary or appropriate for Tomb Raider tbh

The main event of Tomb Raider is, well, the tombs yknow? I don't really care to see Lara trekking across the country to reach the main attraction. Some outdoorsy areas are nice and can be semi-open but I don't see a need for a huge open map littered with small meagre tombs.

Again I don't know why people think it's a binary option of railroad linearity or no holds barred full open world. There's a lot in between those options. We can still have complex sprawling big levels that are not linear, but still self-contained.
I agree. Tomb Raider should never become Skyrim or GTA like. It just doesn't suit the franchise in my opinion. Tomb Raider always shone most when there were interesting 'linear' levels but with large area's every now and then that connect to each other. So it's more like semi-open. Shadow did pretty good in that department. Some areas truly connect like the older Tomb Raiders.

I wouldn't mind if backtracking returned. Sometimes I'm even missing it.
Old 06-02-19, 21:21   #62
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I agree. Tomb Raider should never become Skyrim or GTA like. It just doesn't suit the franchise in my opinion. Tomb Raider always shone most when there were interesting 'linear' levels but with large area's every now and then that connect to each other. So it's more like semi-open. Shadow did pretty good in that department. Some areas truly connect like the older Tomb Raiders.

I wouldn't mind if backtracking returned. Sometimes I'm even missing it.
I miss backtracking and remembering locked doors/places to put stuff.
I've loved that in TR/alot of old Survival horror games.
Old 06-02-19, 22:25   #63
leomage
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
So I stumbled upon this image and thought, wouldn't it be cool if this was real concept art for TR12?

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LBdgw
On the topic of linearity and simplistic gameplay design... this concept art is gorgeous but if it were real area in a reboot game, nothing would be climbable or intractable.
It would be a straight path down the centre of the room and one jump onto the main platform. If you tried to explore the surrounding scenery there would be an invisible wall or Lara would just slide off. Alternatively, the whole area would only be seen in a cutscene.
leomage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 03:21   #64
jhons0529
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Even Zelda struggled with this balance and its dungeons aren't as good as those of previous games, because they had to scatter most of them into shrines (that all look the same) so they could pepper them into the world. That already happens in TR with its optional tombs. They have to pepper the hub with optional tombs, which means they need many of them, which practically makes it impossible for them to make them sprawling. Imagine if you pick 3 or 4 of those tombs and combine into one, that would be a better tomb, but wouldn't help much in making the hub less empty. So in that sense, the hubs helped ruin TR's tombs, and open world can be even more damaging.
Yeah I get this, its why I'm torn. If open world was done it would have the generic Tombs which bother me, ideally it would be 100% unique but I think it would never happen like that which leaves me torn.
Though I think the entire reason I want open world is primarily the thought that if it was perfect there would be hours of content, I feel like I've been deprived from TR content since LAU.

At the end of the day I'm happier with the separate level sets in the form of TR1-6 though, but I think a single experimental in an ideal world done perfectly would be interesting.

Last edited by jhons0529; 07-02-19 at 03:39.
jhons0529 is offline   Reply With Quote