www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 03-02-19, 01:21   #11
Rai

Logo

I've never been keen on it. I suppose it fits the origin story, but I wouldn't mind a change with something more original.

Main music theme

I like it, it should stay as long as we're still in the current timeline. I wouldn't be against the original one making a comeback either.

Survival theme

I'm not really sure what is meant by this. If it means Lara out in the wilderness and with a sense of danger (with Lara not always getting through unscathed), then yes, it should stay. Lara's always faced dangerous terrains, so it feels pretty normal to keep it.

Upgrading weapons and skills (I dunno why this isn't in the list)

Please go now.

The bow

I love using the bow, if appropriate for the environment. It should definitely stay as part of Lara's arsenal.

The axe(s)

They're pretty much part of current Lara's gear now and have many uses, so should stay if appropriate.

Fire camps

I think they work well for save points and for choosing weapons/fast travel etc. They may seem out of place though should Lara ever visit more modern locations.

One main location

It's fine, but if the story can work around it with the myth chosen, then I think I'd prefer globe-trotting.

Semi open world/Hubs

I love the hub system, but they need to be worked into the main story path and included with mandatory exploration. I prefer sizes akin to Mountain Village, Geothermal Valley at most.
Old 03-02-19, 09:01   #12
Pyro99
Archaeologist

Logo : similar to what you said, I want it to remain similar so it feels like the same timeline but with a small twist, like Underworld's. I'd only want a total, AoD-style change if the next game was revolutionary.
Main theme : I definitely want a new theme. Compared to how the first 5 games played with similar notes or how AoD and LAU had completely different themes, the reboot trilogy constantly using the same music got a bit old. I want a new, more impactful theme, with the TR2013 one only appearing once in the game as a nod.
Survival theme : No more survival. A survivor was born 6 bloody years ago, it's about time Lara goes into adventures voluntarily and stops struggling to survive, but just wins.
The bow : Not her signature thing. Bring back the duals and more tactical weaponry, with the bow only appearing for levels in "wild" environments (less of them, more urban levels)
The axe(s) : They're fun but I want less of them. Add something like the climbing in TRU where Lara used a lot of rocks, and only bring the axes to specific levels with full-on mountains in front of you.
Fire camps : Super bored of them, don't need them.
One location : Ideally I want Legend-style globetrotting to return, or at least something like Shadow's moving from one country to the next but with more locations than just 2.
Semi open world : I'm tired of the semi open world. I'd rather have more linear, straight-forward environments.
Hubs : A social hub like Paititi should only return if it's much more polished and much less pointlessly large. I'd rather have a hub that's a giant tomb, but still, I'm not particularly fond of hubs.
Old 04-02-19, 20:54   #13
Chamayoo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Upgrading weapons and skills (I dunno why this isn't in the list)

Please go now.
Just forgot.

As for me, I want it to stay because it had potential to be really fun if done right, at least for the skill tree.
- Should be about 3 things : Combat, platforming, exploration
- Should not involved survival instinct, like... never

About weapon upgrades, keep it simple. Combining silencer or sights, more powerful or more ammos. Just that, good enough.
Also I'm not interested about 100 versions of the same four weapons. I want quite but simple with their unique task : a gun, a shotgun, a bow, a sniper, a flamethrower, a grenade launcher, a rocket launcher, a machine gun, harpoon gun... Ok I stop there.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 21:26   #14
Ellioft
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Just forgot.

As for me, I want it to stay because it had potential to be really fun if done right, at least for the skill tree.
- Should be about 3 things : Combat, platforming, exploration
- Should not involved survival instinct, like... never
Wait for the weapons it's logical but for the combat or the platforming don't it would be contradictory by playing with an experienced Lara Croft if she as to learn something ?
Old 04-02-19, 21:29   #15
Chamayoo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Wait for the weapons it's logical but for the combat or the platforming don't it would be contradictory by playing with an experienced Lara Croft if she as to learn something ?
I mean some new things never seen in the origin games. I don't want her to learn again old things, she has to have them right in the beginning. I just want new ones.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 04-02-19 at 21:30.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 21:36   #16
Ellioft
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
I mean some new things never seen in the origin games. I don't want her to learn again old things, she has to have them right in the beginning. I just want new ones.
Ah I see Or she could get hit by a rock on the head and forget everything : Abyss of the Tomb Raider
Remember what's a Tomb
Old 17-02-19, 22:38   #17
jhons0529
Historian

Logo - Ditch it, never matched what TR was anyway, too gritty.

Main music theme
- Dull and uninspired and irrelevant too. It not used in the same nature of previous entries either.

Survival theme - Overused and boring, there weren't actually any real survival elements in the games anyway. Also its not a survival game toss it out.

The bow - A bow isn't as effective as the reboots make them out to be, and beyond realism it just outright doesn't look flattering on the real Lara, its a mismatch and makes no sense to make her have something like that. How about we get the Crossbow back instead, that actually had much more sense and is more aesthetically fitting.

The axe(s) - Barely keep them. They only have a place due to adding additional mechanics they should be redesigned, I'd prefer they don't come back however, I think they appeal too much to the whole idea of the game holding on to ledges for you.

Fire camps - Why even bother keeping them? They don't really have a place in Tomb Raider, as in options? I'd want level ups removed and weapon upgrades implemented more akin to Resident Evil classics. Besides most of that could be accessible within an actual inventory, the backpack is more iconic and tops the fire camps any day. Besides this if the camps were to be back it should be as crystals, you know to restore a bit of identity to this franchise.

One main location - As in a whole game in Russia or Egypt? If so I think its fine to do again but probably better not to and let her travel around. Really depends on the nature of the adventure.

Semi open world - Only as far as Last Revelation. I suppose the reboots kind of did it in this vain too?

Hubs - Only as far as the classics went. I feel they did it best.

The reboot honestly did very little to actually add. LAU did the same thing of pretty much just removing. I don't see the point in respecting elements of a reboot that aren't even relevant to the franchise, top it off with the fact that most of these things barely matter anyway and some better form or alternative in the classics.

This isn't a case of being rude towards the reboot, its just more the fact non of its elements actually matter. Moving forward with it actually being a "Tomb Raider" game the sequel should just outright drop many of its elements.

Last edited by jhons0529; 17-02-19 at 22:44.
jhons0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-19, 22:52   #18
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

Logo - I don't mind the Logo, that's something that's never bothered me. I do think they need to stick to Tomb Raider: Insert Second Title.

Main music theme - Honestly, I've never really paid attention to the reboots music. All that I can remember from TR'13 is the beatdrop when Tomb Raider is revealed over the wrecked ships. If they where to merge classic and reboot together it would be awesome. (I listened to someone called Dean, I think, he's made a remix of both)

Survival theme - Lara's not a survivor, get rid.

The bow - I love the bow, out of all reboots arsenal this is the one weapon I would hate to see be removed.

The axe(s) - Get rid of them and give us a free climbing Lara. Sure the mechanics and animations where fun in TR'13 but they're starting to get boring and old now and having to upgrade Lara to climb faster in all three games is a joke.

Fire camps - Keep them, remove them I don't actually care. The way I view campfires is the same way I look at the save crystals from TR1 (PS). Save points and perhaps upgrade if I wish.

One main location - Sure as long as the one location is diverse. One thing I loved about TR'13 is that each part of the island was completely different. You had the dark forest, the snowy peak by the radio tower, the windy chasm and the sunny shipwreck beach.

Semi open world - I wouldn't mind a fully open world. I've always thought Far Cry 3 is what the reboot should of been (but that's just me)

Hubs - Have them like TR'13. Whilst Shadow and Rise had stunning looking hubs, they were filled with pointless crap and collectibles that turned exploring into a chore.