www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 02-02-19, 21:47   #1
bratpack
Hobbyist

Default Tomb raider needs to look at resident evil to fix itself

That franchise has really turned itself around gameplay wise this gen and fair play to capcom Resident evil 5+6 sold huge numbers but received heavy criticism yet for resident evil 7 they cleared the table went back and looked at the franchises core gameplay that people originally fell in love with and modernized it for the new era low and behold resident evil 7 and remake 2 have done really well with critics and the fan base they are also bonafide hits so everybody wins

Tomb raider needs to completely ditch going forward
Xp
Action setpieces
talking overly cinematic Hollywood style cutscenes
On rails disaster sequences they were fun back in late ps3 gen but there so bland now (naughty dog knows this as uncharted 4 mostly removed them)
Upgrading/level up
No hidden citys /lost tribes
Excessive collectibles

We need to start and end the next game in complete isolation no radio, no Jonah.

Get Lara back to puzzle solving in a Huge level style environment not challenge tombs.

Overhaul all hud, text , so it’s a complete fresh start from the last 3 games

Choose an interesting compelling location drop Lara and players in let us explore figure it out ourselves

Give Lara duel pistols and bow arrow to please both fans before starting game make players choose weapon of choice before the game starts.

No hand holding but not too tough so that it’s obscure just challenging enough I realize this is a very hard thing to do.

New Lara voice but less speaking

I am a fan of the current trilogy but playing the new resident evils makes me realize the core old game style can absolutely work they just have to tweak it a bit to fit modern standards and I’m positive TR could definitely do it too

I’m pretty sure the budget could be scaled down since it wouldn’t be as cinematic or flashy

From my readings RE7 had a smaller budget than RE6 which was also full of stupid set pieces and flashy visuals ( I’ll call it the uncharted effect every game wanted to do it at the time ��)

Ideally this new tomb raider should release on PS5 gen give it a good 4 years resting since shadow

Last edited by bratpack; 02-02-19 at 22:01.
bratpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 22:08   #2
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

I'd be down for a more modern take on the classics, similar to what RE7 did.

But seriously, can we stop with all these Resident Evil comparisons? It's like everytime there's a more successful game, you guys want to point and go "See! Thats exactly what Tomb Raider should be doing!" The exact same was done with Spider Man and Red Dead.

Resident Evil can get away with it's slower pace because it has horror elements, so suspense is always gonna be there. I'm not sure how well Tomb Raider's slow, puzzle based gameplay would fare now. I might be wrong but it's possible that if they were to go back, the franchise would lose even more interest. The ideal Tomb Raider game for you all would be one made by an indie studio. If that's what you want, I mean fair enough I guess.
Old 02-02-19, 22:12   #3
Aikon
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratpack View Post
Tomb raider needs to completely ditch going forward
Xp
Action setpieces
talking overly cinematic Hollywood style cutscenes
On rails disaster sequences they were fun back in late ps3 gen but there so bland now (naughty dog knows this as uncharted 4 mostly removed them)
Upgrading/level up
No hidden citys /lost tribes
Excessive collectibles

We need to start and end the next game in complete isolation no radio, no Jonah.

Get Lara back to puzzle solving in a Huge level style environment not challenge tombs.

Overhaul all hud, text , so itís a complete fresh start from the last 3 games

Choose an interesting compelling location drop Lara and players in let us explore figure it out ourselves

Give Lara duel pistols and bow arrow to please both fans before starting game make players choose weapon of choice before the game starts.

No hand holding but not too tough so that itís obscure just challenging enough I realize this is a very hard thing to do.

New Lara voice but less speaking
I agree with everything listed here, basically.
Aikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 22:19   #4
bratpack
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I'd be down for a more modern take on the classics, similar to what RE7 did.

But seriously, can we stop with all these Resident Evil comparisons? It's like everytime there's a more successful game, you guys want to point and go "See! Thats exactly what Tomb Raider should be doing!" The exact same was done with Spider Man and Red Dead.

Resident Evil can get away with it's slower pace because it has horror elements, so suspense is always gonna be there. I'm not sure how well Tomb Raider's slow, puzzle based gameplay would fare now. I might be wrong but it's possible that if they were to go back, the franchise would lose even more interest. The ideal Tomb Raider game for you all would be one made by an indie studio. If that's what you want, I mean fair enough I guess.
I guess the resident evil comparison really clicks with me because itís the same boat as tomb raider in a lot of ways
both 20years old
Both veered heavily away from original game style
Both had new games still selling really well but still received criticism as not being what the franchise is truly about
bratpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 22:26   #5
Portugalraider
Professor

Not saying that some classic stuff should return, especially the more consistent platforming, the more fun classic adventure movies tone, and even a Lara Croft that doesn't take herself too seriously and knows how to have fun.

But let's also stop pretending that Tomb Raider is in the same situation as Resident Evil was. No one liked the direction RE was taking with 5 and 6, both critics and gamers. But those really liked the Tomb Raider reboot. In fact, the most classic-like game (SotTR) is the one that has been worse received, but even that it was more because the game wasn't a well balanced and polished experience as the last two, not because it wasn't like the classics.

What Tomb Raider needs is proper development time, because let's face it, if anything any of the reboot games are not it is bad games.
Old 02-02-19, 22:28   #6
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratpack View Post
I guess the resident evil comparison really clicks with me because it’s the same boat as tomb raider in a lot of ways
both 20years old
Both veered heavily away from original game style
Both had new games still selling really well but still received criticism as not being what the franchise is truly about
Nothing personal. My post wasn't to you specifically. It's just that ever since RE2 came out there's been non-stop comparisons everyday on here. I see the similarities but as I said in my original post, I think RE's gameply style is a style that'll never get old whereas I can't say the same for classic Tomb Raider.

Not that it's impossible to update it but I think it'd be harder to make it not appear too slow paced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
But let's also stop pretending that Tomb Raider is in the same situation as Resident Evil was. No one liked the direction RE was taking with 5 and 6, both critics and gamers. But those really liked the Tomb Raider reboot. In fact, the most classic-like game (SotTR) is the one that has been worse received, but even that it was more because the game wasn't a well balanced and polished experience as the last two, not because it wasn't like the classics.
This.

Last edited by TrustyBow; 02-02-19 at 22:32.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 23:02   #7
Samz
Professor

Probably going to be unpopular right now, but Resident evil 2 remake managed to feel more like TR than 2013/Rise honestly.

I was looking out for ammo, extra weapons required effort (in this case solving puzzles rather than finding them) and the increased puzzle elements compared to the original Resident evil 2 was pretty good and could probably be translated somewhat Spoiler for Remake There's a safe combination that's written on a whiteboard in a room you have to remember, you could probably do a similar thing with hieroglyphs

I just found myself actually exploring my environment and feeling rewarded for doing so.

Yeah its not super-like TR, but I felt some-what like I was properly exploring these environments and some of the bosses (such as Leon's last boss) IMO felt more like TR since there's an emphasis on dodging like most of the classic bosses, again not to the same extend (Leon isn't flipping out of the way.) but it wasn't "Shoot til it falls down, then QTE it".

It felt like there was an actual exploration element with searching for keys and ammo.
Old 02-02-19, 23:25   #8
Mr GaGa
Relic Hunter

I'm pretty sure you people will say the exact same thing when The Last of us 2 releases, when the division 2 comes out and just about any other game. So redundant
Old 02-02-19, 23:33   #9
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GaGa View Post
I'm pretty sure you people will say the exact same thing when The Last of us 2 releases, when the division 2 comes out and just about any other game. So redundant
What the new Animal Crossing is doing, Tomb Raider should do
Old 02-02-19, 23:36   #10
Mr GaGa
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
What the new Animal Crossing is doing, Tomb Raider should do
Lmao