www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 02-02-19, 23:43   #11
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Whilst I do think Capcom are making massive strides in the right direction I do not feel they're where they need to be yet and I think Shadow is making big jumps in the right direction too. There just needs to be better balance which I think there will be now we can leave behind any expectations a final installment in an established trilogy would have.
Old 03-02-19, 00:09   #12
iWANEX
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Whilst I do think Capcom are making massive strides in the right direction I do not feel they're where they need to be yet and I think Shadow is making big jumps in the right direction too. There just needs to be better balance which I think there will be now we can leave behind any expectations a final installment in an established trilogy would have.
Iím surprised I keep agreeing with every single post of yours lately.

Also, Iíve found RE2 to be a very lackluster game overall. It feels very uninspired, a little bit of a mess, and I didnít find any nostalgic feeling at all. Looking back, REmake was incredible. RE2 not so much.

Also, as others have said already, these games are being made because of the backlash from fans and critics. TR is in a whole different situation at the moment.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 01:41   #13
bratpack
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GaGa View Post
I'm pretty sure you people will say the exact same thing when The Last of us 2 releases, when the division 2 comes out and just about any other game. So redundant
Wow you completely missing the whole point of my post did you even read it or just run in to make a diss comment.

This is not about copying other games it’s about the franchise getting back to the core gameplay the early tomb raider games had which is what the new resident evils are doing going back to there original game style in a modern way
bratpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 02:34   #14
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Not saying that some classic stuff should return, especially the more consistent platforming, the more fun classic adventure movies tone, and even a Lara Croft that doesn't take herself too seriously and knows how to have fun.

But let's also stop pretending that Tomb Raider is in the same situation as Resident Evil was. No one liked the direction RE was taking with 5 and 6, both critics and gamers. But those really liked the Tomb Raider reboot. In fact, the most classic-like game (SotTR) is the one that has been worse received, but even that it was more because the game wasn't a well balanced and polished experience as the last two, not because it wasn't like the classics.

What Tomb Raider needs is proper development time, because let's face it, if anything any of the reboot games are not it is bad games.
I'm sorry but this is just dead wrong. RE5 is still regarded as one of he best CO-OP action games of it's time, and it's the franchise's best selling entry with 12 million copies, RE6 is the second best selling. RE6 had a tepid reception indeed, but it was no near what you make it seem to be.

RE definitely was in a very similar situation to TR, except RE handled it much better. It took two reboots for the games to be top selling hits again, which quickly fell apart and resulted in a tepid welcome 3 games in. RE changed direction but it pretty much defined how OTS action shooters would play and did went back to it's roots eventually while updating the formula. RE also has had much better fan service, before RE7 we had the revelations games which were a focused on that old school nostalgia. TR has had the LC games which still play pretty differently and were focused o MP.
Old 03-02-19, 02:47   #15
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

I see mixed responses to both RE5/6 and the TR Reboot. Neither were universally praised or slammed by critics or consumers. I don't know why anyone on either side is twisting it in either case, both had a very mixed response, as did the LAU series overall.

May I remind you that RE5 followed the direction RE4 took - which was an extremely well received, almost universally acclaimed game and considered one of the best ever. 5 just strayed a bit too far from the horror element of the series, it was a bit too action focused, that was the main criticism that led to a more mixed response.

With that I do agree with the above post that they're in quite similar situations. It's a situation any long-running franchise of any kind is going to find itself in eventually - How do we stay relevant and marketable but without totally losing the heart and character of the series? Both TR and RE have dealt with this in different ways, and the success of either can be debated.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 03-02-19 at 02:56.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 02:59   #16
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
I'm sorry but this is just dead wrong. RE5 is still regarded as one of he best CO-OP action games of it's time, and it's the franchise's best selling entry with 12 million copies, RE6 is the second best selling. RE6 had a tepid reception indeed, but it was no near what you make it seem to be.
Really? I was under the impression that most fans hated it. Critics from what I've seen seemed to like it but is it really considered one of the best action games of all time? That's kind of insane. Not saying you're wrong. I'm just genuinely surprised.

I also find it funny that with both franchises, the highest selling entry is the one that deviates the most from the original formula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I see mixed responses to both RE5/6 and the TR Reboot. Neither were universally praised or slammed by critics or consumers. I don't know why anyone on either side is twisting it in either case, both had a very mixed response.
TR Reboot, a mixed response? I mean idk, critics loved TR13 and Rise, whereas RE6 has some pretty awful reviews. I guess taking fan considerations into view, they're kind of similar, but even then, I don't know if I'd say the overall reception towards TR's Reboot is mixed.
Old 03-02-19, 04:18   #17
AimlessThunder
Professor

Have we been playing the same trilogy?
The newer Tomb Raider games have been absolutely amazing. Each one improving over the last one.
It's unfortunate that Shadow had a lower score, but the game does improve in all the aspects.
Old 03-02-19, 05:51   #18
trfanX34
Tomb Raider

RE2 is amazing and I kept wishing TR got the same treatment throughout my playthrough. It felt so classic, yet refreshing at the same time. Shadow, in comparison, is a catastrophe and a sad excuse of a game.
Old 03-02-19, 08:45   #19
Mani_Man
Professor

I lean out of the window and say that some of you havent seen RE2 either the remake nor the original.

Re2 neither feels nor is "back to the roots"...it has a modern story telling, gameplay from RE4 and forward, character changes taken from the newer RE games and is only on the Setting really "going back".

Like i said before, using RE2 as template doesnt do you guys any good because it ruins the points you tried to get going the past few years when complaining about the TR Reboot.

Re2 remake is pretty much like if you tear down a house, build a completely new one and say that its still the same just because it has a similar shape.

RE2 is only the setting, everything else is completely different.
Gameplay, pacing, the way the story is told, layout, feeling, progress, characters...everything.

"Tomb Raider should do it like RE2 and go back to its Roots" doesnt look good at all as an argument.
If you really think RE2 is going back to the roots then this fandom is as shallow as the rest of the gaming community thinks because then you only look at the setting while making this claim.

Looking deeper into the game is showing something that is completely different than what RE2s original version is.

There is no argument that RE2 is a good game that was well developed and planned, but its not back to the roots.
Its bringin RE2 into the new age by changing it extremely.

Last edited by Mani_Man; 03-02-19 at 08:46.
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 08:55   #20
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
I lean out of the window and say that some of you havent seen RE2 either the remake nor the original.

Re2 neither feels nor is "back to the roots"...it has a modern story telling, gameplay from RE4 and forward, character changes taken from the newer RE games and is only on the Setting really "going back".

Like i said before, using RE2 as template doesnt do you guys any good because it ruins the points you tried to get going the past few years when complaining about the TR Reboot.

Re2 remake is pretty much like if you tear down a house, build a completely new one and say that its still the same just because it has a similar shape.

RE2 is only the setting, everything else is completely different.
Gameplay, pacing, the way the story is told, layout, feeling, progress, characters...everything.

"Tomb Raider should do it like RE2 and go back to its Roots" doesnt look good at all as an argument.
If you really think RE2 is going back to the roots then this fandom is as shallow as the rest of the gaming community thinks because then you only look at the setting while making this claim.

Looking deeper into the game is showing something that is completely different than what RE2s original version is.

There is no argument that RE2 is a good game that was well developed and planned, but its not back to the roots.
Its bringin RE2 into the new age by changing it extremely.
The only real difference is they got rid from the horrible fixed cameras. The game is basically the same. Take off the nostalgia glasses.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote