www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 03-02-19, 08:09   #21
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
The only real difference is they got rid from the horrible fixed cameras. The game is basically the same. Take off the nostalgia glasses.
No its not, that on so many levels being willingly ignorant to the games development.
But unsurpisingly for the TR fandom sadly.

It has nothing to do with any nostalgia, the game is from the ground up a whole different game that only really shares the same setting.
How some can not see that is beyond my understanding, it couldnt be more clearer in your face how vastly different it is.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 08:28   #22
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
No its not, that on so many levels being willingly ignorant to the games development.
But unsurpisingly for the TR fandom sadly.

It has nothing to do with any nostalgia, the game is from the ground up a whole different game that only really shares the same setting.
How some can not see that is beyond my understanding, it couldnt be more clearer in your face how vastly different it is.
It is pretty different, but some of the points you made were wrong.

It doesn't have the gameplay from 4 for the most part, Yes you have third person shooting, but it functions more like the older games would if they had manual aiming, headshots for a chance of a critical hit and leg shots for a chance to knock them down or blow their legs off with more powerful weapons.

Enemies don't drop items to encourage you to kill as much as possible, ammo is as scarce as 7, since now boxes of pistol ammo don't always hold 15 or 30 rounds.

You also don't have the ability to perform powerful melee moves (half of which was out-right wrestling moves.) on enemies anymore, now you can just slash with your knife.

So instead of encouraging killing like Resi 4 onwards, we're back to trying to avoid that if we can.

Bosses are focused more on dodging by actually moving like the older games instead of hitting a QTE.

All of this stuff combines so it has manual aiming like 4, but the avoiding of combat like Resi 1/3.

Enemies can now chase you between rooms like a few of the games such as Outbreak, but this also factors into the evasion bit, because if you lure a zombie into a small dead-end room you've already cleared out, you can shoot its legs off (which in the original games could only be done with the shotgun, which was kinda redundant since aiming up would always blow their heads off for a instant kill.) and crawling zombies can't open doors.

It alters alot of elements so evading enemies if possible is priority again instead of shooting them in the arm, running up and doing a cartwheel kick.

It's a bunch of small stuff that converts over-the-shoulder shooting from Action horror to Survival horror like the older games, and in the process, takes a few of the useless details from the older games (Like de-legging zombies) and turns them into valid ways to avoid using resources.

Last edited by Samz; 03-02-19 at 08:37.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 08:41   #23
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post

TR Reboot, a mixed response? I mean idk, critics loved TR13 and Rise, whereas RE6 has some pretty awful reviews. I guess taking fan considerations into view, they're kind of similar, but even then, I don't know if I'd say the overall reception towards TR's Reboot is mixed.
The reboot definitely got a mixed response. There's a difference between getting a mixed response and peforming poorly or getting a medicre response. You can have a mixed response but it be largely positive in tone.

Whilst many appreciated the overhaul to the combat system and the more cinematic focus on the coherent story the game was critisised for not having enough puzzles, platforming as well as Lara's characterisation and the side characters being cliche. The story's finale was also widely critisised too.

It was a good game, it sold well but it got a mixed response. It's quite ironic that these days sales and reception seem to be massively separate things. Resident Evil 6 is proof of this. It was panned but it sold well. Although I think the sales were largely due to the initial campaign misleading people and the PC release launching at less than half price with all the DLC and scenarios unlocked, but there you go.

Last edited by jajay119; 03-02-19 at 08:43.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 08:45   #24
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
It is pretty different, but some of the points you made were wrong.

It doesn't have the gameplay from 4 for the most part, Yes you have third person shooting, but it functions more like the older games would if they had manual aiming, headshots for a chance of a critical hit and leg shots for a chance to knock them down or blow their legs off with more powerful weapons.
Its a third person shooter...according to you guys there is not much difference, remember the "Tomb Raider is just a generic third person shooter now"

"if they had" is no argument, what RE2 had is what it had and that is not manual aiming or many of the other elements the remake now has.

Quote:
Enemies don't drop items to encourage you to kill as much as possible, ammo is as scarce as 7, since now boxes of pistol ammo don't always hold 15 or 30 rounds.
You say it yourself "scarce as 7".

Quote:
You also don't have the ability to perform powerful melee moves (half of which was out-right wrestling moves.) on enemies anymore, now you can just slash with your knife.
Like in RE4 onwards until they added the melee moves.

Quote:
So instead of encouraging killing like Resi 4 onwards, we're back to trying to avoid that if we can.
You could argue giving you any form of attack gameplay encourages you, in this case its more of how you like to play the game.
It was always 3 ways to play RE, kill nothing, kill all or kill what is neccessary.
Also many survival horror games tend to go more "run" instead of "attack" when it comes to the playstyle.
But fair point.

Quote:
Bosses are focused more on dodging by actually moving like the older games instead of hitting a QTE.
No Argument there, RE and TR never really had the best Boss battles, no matter if its the first game or the latest.

Quote:
All of this stuff combines so it has manual aiming like 4, but the avoiding of combat like Resi 1/3.
Again comes down to the play style.

Quote:
Enemies can now chase you between rooms like a few of the games such as Outbreak, but this also factors into the evasion bit, because if you lure a zombie into a small dead-end room you've already cleared out, you can shoot its legs off (which in the original games could only be done with the shotgun, which was kinda redundant since aiming up would always blow their heads off for a instant kill.) and crawling zombies can't open doors.

It alters alot of elements so evading enemies if possible is priority again instead of shooting them in the arm, running up and doing a cartwheel kick.
But it isnt stuff you did in RE2 or was avaliable there...its new stuff that changes the way you play and going away from its roots when it comes to major aspects for example the gameplay.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 09:02   #25
Pyro99
Archaeologist

I'm kinda sick of comparing to other games. Uncharted, Spiderman, Resident Evil, Read Dead, even Bioshock and the Last of Us back in 2013. I agree that TR needs to shake things up, but not by trying to mimic anyone else.
Old 03-02-19, 10:33   #26
bratpack
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro99 View Post
I'm kinda sick of comparing to other games. Uncharted, Spiderman, Resident Evil, Read Dead, even Bioshock and the Last of Us back in 2013. I agree that TR needs to shake things up, but not by trying to mimic anyone else.
But I’m not saying TR needs to mimic RE what I’m saying is they should go back to the roots of the franchise and really try to bring it back in a modern fun challenging way get rid of the Xp, the millions of collectibles, the overly Hollywood action movie approach just scale it right back down

As for RE2 being a completely different game that’s kinda unfair

It has expanded statue puzzle at entrance of rpd
Lots of Locked doors
The club,spade,diamond heart keys all back
Expanded puzzle part to leave the rpd station
Electronic plug puzzle to exit the sewers
Lab puzzles
All bosses are back
Almost every single room form original is back with tons of added new areas

Cutscenes are kept to a minimum meaning they didn’t turn it into a naughty dog style movie game it’s all gameplay and all for you to play

It can still be finished in around 3 hours just like the original re2

Hardcore mode has ink ribbon saves

Look up on YouTube resident evil 2 fixed camera angle mod and you will see it’s really just the camera angle and shooting aiming that’s changed

Last edited by bratpack; 03-02-19 at 10:37.
bratpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 11:42   #27
Costel
Archaeologist

Tomb Raider doesn`t need a fix. It needs a little bit of improvement especially with the story and a better marketing.
Old 03-02-19, 11:50   #28
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

In terms of going back to the roots, definitely. In terms of how they did it, not really. Them not using fixed camera in RE2 remake to me was very disappointing, a very big lost opportunity.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 03-02-19 at 11:52.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 12:03   #29
bratpack
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
Tomb Raider doesn`t need a fix. It needs a little bit of improvement especially with the story and a better marketing.
You donít think having 100s of stupid collectibles is silly?
Stupid xp stuff thatís used in shooting games which even in shadow was pointless due to less action?
Boring pointless side missions
Silly on rails disaster sequences

They should get back to Better quality level design not endless open hub areas like patiti which was boring to play in honestly

Each game they have gone bigger with the hubs and itís pointless there short of heading into open world territory next and that will be a big no from me
bratpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 12:20   #30
Costel
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratpack View Post
You donít think having 100s of stupid collectibles is silly?
Stupid xp stuff thatís used in shooting games which even in shadow was pointless due to less action?
Boring pointless side missions
Silly on rails disaster sequences

They should get back to Better quality level design not endless open hub areas like patiti which was boring to play in honestly

Each game they have gone bigger with the hubs and itís pointless there short of heading into open world territory next and that will be a big no from me
No, I don`t think having 100 collectibles is silly. Optional stuff. You can ignore them.
Again you can ignore upgrading your skills.
Boring pointless side missions- that is subjective and can be ignored
Silly on rails disaster sequences-subjective

The only thing that is not optional are on rails disaster sequences. The rest can be ignored.