www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 10-02-19, 16:21   #1
MilkShakespear
Hobbyist

Default Crystal Dynamics to Make Atlantis in the 3rd game?

So what if CD stayed on to finish the Tomb Raider trilogy? How did they plan to round out that story? I'm guessing something Atlantis related. Hear me out, I'll be quick.

Here are the marking on the Divine Source in RotTR.

Here are some marking in Atlantis from TRA.

Now Anniversary did a clever thing where the markings in Atlantis are similar to Greek symbols, and some Egyptian Hieroglyphs, due to the common Atlantean ancestry of those ancient cultures. So yes, some of the Divine Source markings mimic a Grecian Omega symbol. But they also share other similarities. Could the CD concept artists have gone through their old TRA files and intentionally made the symbols for RotTR look like those of the Atlanteans?

What if CD planned on wrapping all of the strange occurrences in the reboot to ancient Advanced civilization technology? The blue lightening that surrounded Himiko's soul matched that of the souls of the Deathless. What if CD rounded out the franchise with Lara finishing her father's quest for the immortal soul?

The immortal soul was a common theme in the CD games.

Let me finish up with a mention of the Mysterious Figurine, based on an artifact that pseudoscience speculates to be an ancient carving of an alien space voyager. What we consider magic is just advanced science. What if ancient aliens inspired Atlantis, gave humans advanced tech that controls weather, or extends the life of a soul? That's where I believe CD planned on taking the franchise.

Thoughts?

Last edited by tlr online; 10-02-19 at 16:23. Reason: Images removed. See FAQ on posting images.
MilkShakespear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 16:24   #2
larafan25
Legend

It wouldn't surprise me if they did the same old thing, considering that's... kinda what they do.

Bringing it all back to tomb raider legend eek as long as it finishes.
Old 10-02-19, 16:30   #3
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I think much of the story would have been the same: Trinity, major lost city with old civilisation still alive, undead army etc, continued and tiring focus on mummy and daddy - All checkboxes for the previous games which I think CD will have wanted. I think EM may have had more input with the finer details but I think the overall skeleton of the story will have been dictated by CD given they stated they had the trilogy mapped out overall a long time ago.
Old 10-02-19, 16:33   #4
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I think much of the story would have been the same: Trinity, major lost city with old civilisation still alive, undead army etc, continued and tiring focus on mummy and daddy - All checkboxes for the previous games which I think CD will have wanted. I think EM may have had more input with the finer details but I think the overall skeleton of the story will have been dictated by CD given they stated they had the trilogy mapped out overall a long time ago.
Yep.

Can't wait for all the atlanteans to be humanoids, who fight just like the Deathless, who fought like the Stormguard and they fought like thehSolarii.

Oh and Jonah will get kidnapped again so Lara can have another RAMBO moment where helicopters magically miss you because obviously violence is the only way a fictional character can ever be awesome, you mean see her finding out where to go or solving complex puzzles? nah, we need more men murder.

and Sam probably still won't show up to the sadness of shippers.

Last edited by Samz; 10-02-19 at 16:36.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 16:35   #5
MilkShakespear
Hobbyist

Also, just to continue with the idea of an ancient forgotten culture, in one of Ana's entries, she mentions when she first joined Trinity, and "Learning the secret histories of the world."

Side note, LaraFan25, that's a DOPE Classic Lara picture. Where'd you get that?
Old 10-02-19, 16:54   #6
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

I don't mind the ancient civilisation angle in itself, that's kind of what Lara does, she explores historical ruins that have been apparently untouched by anyone else for centuries or longer.

I just think they need to shake up the formula and how they go about doing it. The Yaaxil were much better than the Oni and the Deathless, but it doesn't always have to be humanoid enemies or zombies, they can be a bit more fantasy-esque and imaginative than that.

I really liked the look of Kitezh in Rise because it looked like something from a fantasy genre - a city trapped under a huge impressive ice sheet. It's kind of out there and odd looking, impossible in reality but that's ok because fiction doesn't have to follow real life rules all the time. I just wish we got to spend more time exploring it, instead of being throw straight into the massive climactic battle with the Deathless and Trinity.

TR1 also did a great thing with Atlantis I think, by completely inverting popular tropes of Atlantis. It wasn't the typical sunken utopian paradise with beautiful Grecian architecture, it looked ****ing horrific and disturbing, like Hell. It's interesting and jarring that they did that and I think it was to good effect.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 10-02-19 at 16:56.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 19:54   #7
MilkShakespear
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I don't mind the ancient civilisation angle in itself, that's kind of what Lara does, she explores historical ruins that have been apparently untouched by anyone else for centuries or longer.

I just think they need to shake up the formula and how they go about doing it. The Yaaxil were much better than the Oni and the Deathless, but it doesn't always have to be humanoid enemies or zombies, they can be a bit more fantasy-esque and imaginative than that.

I really liked the look of Kitezh in Rise because it looked like something from a fantasy genre - a city trapped under a huge impressive ice sheet. It's kind of out there and odd looking, impossible in reality but that's ok because fiction doesn't have to follow real life rules all the time. I just wish we got to spend more time exploring it, instead of being throw straight into the massive climactic battle with the Deathless and Trinity.

TR1 also did a great thing with Atlantis I think, by completely inverting popular tropes of Atlantis. It wasn't the typical sunken utopian paradise with beautiful Grecian architecture, it looked ****ing horrific and disturbing, like Hell. It's interesting and jarring that they did that and I think it was to good effect.
A-MEN on the TR1 interpretation of Atlantis!!! The fact that the walls BREATHED like an organic muscle!??! Add on top of that the terrifyingly lonely atmospheric musical score.... The worse beasts you could face... FANTASTIC Final world. Yeah, That kind of chance-taking made that game a classic.... and kept the franchise alive for 22+ years!
Old 10-02-19, 20:04   #8
Rai

This thread is more a what if speculation for Shadow rather than for future TR. Moving to the relevant section.
Old 11-02-19, 01:35   #9
KennyC222
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkShakespear View Post
So what if CD stayed on to finish the Tomb Raider rebooted series? How did they plan to round out that story? I'm guessing something Atlantis related. Hear me out, I'll be quick.

Here are the marking on the Divine Source in RotTR.

Here are some marking in Atlantis from TRA.

Now Anniversary did a clever thing where the markings in Atlantis are similar to Greek symbols, and some Egyptian Hieroglyphs, due to the common Atlantean ancestry of those ancient cultures. So yes, some of the Divine Source markings mimic a Grecian Omega symbol. But they also share other similarities. Could the CD concept artists have gone through their old TRA files and intentionally made the symbols for RotTR look like those of the Atlanteans?

What if CD planned on wrapping all of the strange occurrences in the reboot to ancient Advanced civilization technology? The blue lightening that surrounded Himiko's soul matched that of the souls of the Deathless. What if CD rounded out the franchise with Lara finishing her father's quest for the immortal soul?

The immortal soul was a common theme in the CD games.

Let me finish up with a mention of the Mysterious Figurine, based on an artifact that pseudoscience speculates to be an ancient carving of an alien space voyager. What we consider magic is just advanced science. What if ancient aliens inspired Atlantis, gave humans advanced tech that controls weather, or extends the life of a soul? That's where I believe CD planned on taking the franchise.

Thoughts?
Nice! So CD is making another TR game after shadow right? If so, I am in! At least same Lara will be back! Altantis is a very good place for future TR game after shadow! At least TR Franchise is still living on!

Last edited by KennyC222; 11-02-19 at 01:38.
KennyC222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 02:40   #10
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyC222 View Post
Nice! So CD is making another TR game after shadow right? If so, I am in! At least same Lara will be back! Altantis is a very good place for future TR game after shadow! At least TR Franchise is still living on!
We don't know if CD or EM will helm the next game. This thread is speculating what CD might have done for the 3rd game had they finished the trilogy. As Shadow was the 3rd game, it's already been released. This is a "what if" scenario.