Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 30-11-14, 19:23   #1
LateRaider
Inactive

Default Mod - Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness Text Cleanup

Hi, I made a wide-scale text cleanup for the English version of TR:AoD for PC. It cleans up the grammar of subtitles, items, and item descriptions so that it's proper British-English. While I am an American, I put in the research to ensure British spellings were used.

Download (v1.5).

Screenshots.

Installation:
1. Go to the main Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness game folder. By default:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos Interactive\TRAOD
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Tomb Raider (VI) The Angel of Darkness
C:\GOG Games\Tomb Raider 6

2. [OPTIONAL] In this folder go to the Data folder, then the locale folder. Rename TEXTUK.DB somehow; I suggest adding the word "ORIGINAL" in front of it.

3. Go to the TR:AoD Text Cleanup folder and move its Data folder to your TR:AoD game folder. When prompted to replace files, choose "Yes."

Last edited by LateRaider; 23-08-21 at 22:00. Reason: 1.3 is out with an alt version, woo
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 19:27   #2
Alex Fly
Inactive

Arrow

This seems to be an interesting mod. As English isn't my primarily language I can't help you with this. Hopefully someone will help you to fix the potential problems.

Just a suggestion : you should post some comparison screenshots too as I'm sure everyone would love to see how it looks like before downloading and installing it. It might also convince others to give you their feedback and locate some errors you missed.

Thanks for you efforts into developing this. It's always good to see new stuff developed by the community for the classic games.
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 20:12   #3
Peterstar101

I'll be installing this soon!

Great work!
Peterstar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 22:55   #4
LateRaider
Inactive

Thank you, Peterstar101! Let me know of any problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Fly View Post
Just a suggestion : you should post some comparison screenshots too as I'm sure everyone would love to see how it looks like before downloading and installing it. It might also convince others to give you their feedback and locate some errors you missed.
I should, for sure; it would give me an excuse to replay The Angel of Darkness. I'm definitely going to do that, Alex Fly. For now, there's a changelog to help people discern a few of the larger differences.

Thanks for the kudos!

Last edited by LateRaider; 02-12-14 at 06:39.
Old 05-12-14, 08:22   #5
Alex Fly
Inactive

Looking forward to those screenshots ! And I'm impatient to read Peterstar's impressions too.
Old 05-12-14, 12:30   #6
LateRaider
Inactive

This will be the screenshot post. I'll make a link in the first post of this thread later.

Edit - This got to be too filled with images, so to reduce load time in the thread, I've just made an Imgur album.

Go here for it!

Last edited by LateRaider; 07-02-15 at 10:00. Reason: Made an Imgur album.
Old 06-12-14, 13:36   #7
Alex Fly
Inactive

Thumbs up

These first three screenshots look good !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
I used Google Translate to ensure the French was spelled right. If it's wrong, please let me know, though!
It's correct. I'd be happy to help you regarding any further French transcription if necessary.
Old 06-12-14, 13:41   #8
sackboy123

It's known as Magazine in American but we call them clips here
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 15:30   #9
LateRaider
Inactive

Really, sackboy123? Thank you for the info! I'll have to go in and revert it, then.

Edit 1 - I'm finding mixed results; I found this in the Cambridge British English Dictionary:
magazine, noun (GUNS) › a part of a gun in which cartridges are stored
clip, noun (GUN PART) › a container that is fastened to a gun, from which bullets go into the gun to be fired

Plugging the magazine definition into Google gives results for gun magazines on Wikipedia and gun sites, but plugging clip's definition in gives me results chiefly for the Cambridge British English Dictionary. It looks like they should stay as magazines, unless the Cambridge Dictionary is wrong.

Edit 2 - Also, the trusty Oxford World & British English Dictionary said this about magazines:
"A container or detachable receptacle for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun:
he took the machine gun and a spare magazine"

To my knowledge, gun magazines got started being called "clips" at some point, and it stuck in video games. (Check Resident Evil 1 for PSone for another egregious example.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Fly View Post
It's correct. I'd be happy to help you regarding any further French transcription if necessary.
Thank you, Alex Fly! I'll be sure to ask you if it ends up being necessary.

Last edited by LateRaider; 06-12-14 at 15:44. Reason: meep
Old 06-12-14, 15:43   #10
sackboy123

I think Magazines and clips can mean the same thing
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote