Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 26-03-21, 17:52   #1
Jathom95

Default Has anyone ever seen this alternate PC version?

Just curious if anyone else ever came across one besides me. I've seen these ones with the physical cases before, but they always were in terrible condition. This one, however, was brand new so I snagged it while I could for my collection. Was so happy to find it, I never did like the old boxes because I'd worry about creasing much more than is healthy lol.

As far as I can tell, these were legitimate releases. Just fairly rare compared to the standard boxed releases.

Last edited by Jathom95; 26-03-21 at 18:22. Reason: Improved image dimensions and host
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 19:26   #2
perryloo

Nice. Assume First disk is the game, so what is on the second disk?
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 19:38   #3
Jathom95

I believe it's just the second half of the install data. I'm kind of anxious to actually use it haha. On the one hand, I'm always curious to know if any of these rarer copies have any hidden content on them.

On the other... this was very difficult to find! Lol
Old 26-03-21, 22:01   #4
UroshUchiha

If I remember correctly AOD for PC always came with two DVDs.
I have some AOD for PC standalone, will take a pic tomorrow of the stuff that I own but I don't think I have that particular one.

There were a few that came in a bundle with all the other games but I guess those don't count.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-21, 12:29   #5
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
If I remember correctly AOD for PC always came with two DVDs.
Two CD-ROMs. Both were used to install the game and since AoD never had copy protection, neither disc was necessary to play the game. Which was nice because it meant that I could leave them in the box after installing, so my original AoD CD-ROMs are still in very good condition. Back then DVDs weren't common for PC games and a lot of bigger games were shipped on several CD-ROMs. Among the worst offenders were Enter the Matrix and The Sims 2. Enter the Matrix came on 4 discs and I believe that Sims 2 also had 4, though I don't have my original CD-ROM version anymore, so I can't check.

The only weird looking thing on that case is that the "PC CD-ROM" logo is on the bottom and that it has this colourful background. The regular AoD PC version has that written in black on a white background and the logo is on the very top.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-21, 14:04   #6
UroshUchiha

Yeah, CD-ROMs, I got dumb for a second there.

So I pulled out my standalone AOD related things for PC from the collection and this is what I have:

https://i.imgur.com/CWRRM7N.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JajLvBI.jpg

I know that there's a "big" box edition as well released in the USA, but I haven't acquired that one yet for my collection.
I've no idea how to resize images on this forum, when I include them as [IMG] tags the whole page falls apart cause the picture resolution is displayed in full.

Last edited by UroshUchiha; 27-03-21 at 14:07.
Old 27-03-21, 19:17   #7
perryloo

I remember I had this weird AOD interactive game, I bought out of a car petrol station LOL

It worked on the TV, and you made Lara's next move with the TV remote controller, getting a choice of options what to do next, it was just awful and I sold it on Ebay. Maybe its worth something nowadays, like £1.81

perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-21, 19:22   #8
Jathom95

^ I remember that! Lol, that was during the transition of Tomb Raider from Core to Crystal. I remember seeing that case somewhere and wondering why Lara looked so strange.

I never had it, but it seems like such a strange marketing tactic. Even for the time.
Old 27-03-21, 19:52   #9
HarleyCroft

I spent a fun rainy afternoon playing the interactive game! It has music queues from TR3 and really weird custom facial animations for Lara.. Jonell recorded some unique voiceovers for it too

..plus it's not like the official game's controls were much better
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-21, 19:53   #10
UroshUchiha

Oh yeah I have that too in two different languages xD Completely forgot about it.