Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 27-03-21, 20:49   #11
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
Yeah, CD-ROMs, I got dumb for a second there.

So I pulled out my standalone AOD related things for PC from the collection and this is what I have:

https://i.imgur.com/CWRRM7N.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JajLvBI.jpg

I know that there's a "big" box edition as well released in the USA, but I haven't acquired that one yet for my collection.
I've no idea how to resize images on this forum, when I include them as [IMG] tags the whole page falls apart cause the picture resolution is displayed in full.
Imgur has options for resizing your images:

The "thumbnail" options work really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
I spent a fun rainy afternoon playing the interactive game! It has music queues from TR3 and really weird custom facial animations for Lara.. Jonell recorded some unique voiceovers for it too

..plus it's not like the official game's controls were much better
I like those new animations! They're the only good thing about the DVD game.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-21, 05:20   #12
Zenx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
I spent a fun rainy afternoon playing the interactive game! It has music queues from TR3 and really weird custom facial animations for Lara.. Jonell recorded some unique voiceovers for it too

..plus it's not like the official game's controls were much better
Did we all complete this game in one afternoon? Several people told me so.

It's quite short and you couldn't really save, it had that weird 'a code for a level' system but honestly who was keeping track of those?

I did like it tho, it was the kidz bop version of TRAoD.
Zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-21, 21:03   #13
Kurtis6

The inicial print of Angel of Darkness for PC was 2 CD-ROMs. Disc 1 is Paris and Disc 2 is Prague.
Kurtis6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-21, 22:05   #14
Robsters85

I own a AOD original dvd case with two discs for pc and it was just 2 discs to install the whole game...nothing special sadly.
Robsters85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 18:14   #15
Heckler

This is the infamous buggy one I had. Later on I had the platinum version for PS2. I think they eventually released a PC version on DVD with V1 still being on 750MB CD's as a lot of people still only had CD roms on their PC's in '03.
Heckler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 20:15   #16
Jathom95

^ The PC version in general was a hot mess, especially at a time that it wasn't easy to dispatch patches (or in a console's case, basically impossible short of a re-release).

I'm so glad that nowadays most of the issues exclusive to the PC version have been fixed by the community. I think the only thing short of the eye movements (which even the PS2 doesn't have) is the blood effects/water drops when getting shot and getting out of water, respectively.

Plus, now we have EAX again! I'd forgotten honestly how much of an impact it made with the sound.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 10:47   #17
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
^ The PC version in general was a hot mess, especially at a time that it wasn't easy to dispatch patches
Releasing patches was always rather easy on PC. They were released on the websites of the games, on gaming websites and on the CD-ROMs that came with many gaming magazines. Sometimes when a PC game was re-released the patches even came on the discs (though they still had to be installed independently). But AoD was such a messy game that patches alone couldn't fix its many problems. After all it took fans years to fix some more of its issues and it's still from being a perfect game.
Old 10-04-21, 14:07   #18
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Releasing patches was always rather easy on PC. They were released on the websites of the games, on gaming websites and on the CD-ROMs that came with many gaming magazines. Sometimes when a PC game was re-released the patches even came on the discs (though they still had to be installed independently). But AoD was such a messy game that patches alone couldn't fix its many problems. After all it took fans years to fix some more of its issues and it's still from being a perfect game.
Yeah, I should've elaborated that it was more about internet connection and speeds at the time. You had patches of course on PC, it's just that it wasn't the quick fix resource it's become today. Dial-up anyone? Lol. Were AOD patches ever released any other way than online? I can't remember, but I don't think so short of later releases being at a different patch level by default than earlier ones.

It's really sad that so much context with the story in particular is missing. Like at the end how Lara just knows who Karel is already, due to the removal of the two other locations. That scene actually could've worked in the released game if they'd just not had Lara mention Karel's name and save that for the sequel. We know that they'd planned on him not actually being dead and were going to bring him back in the sequels. I figure she could've reasonably put together that he was part of the Cabal, so that would've still worked as-is.

Or at the very least have him introduce himself right then and there, though I don't know how well that would've worked right at the end of the game.

Last edited by Jathom95; 10-04-21 at 15:47.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 11:01   #19
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
Yeah, I should've elaborated that it was more about internet connection and speeds at the time. You had patches of course on PC, it's just that it wasn't the quick fix resource it's become today. Dial-up anyone? Lol. Were AOD patches ever released any other way than online? I can't remember, but I don't think so short of later releases being at a different patch level by default than earlier ones.
Oh yes! Also nowadays we have patches the size of whole games and AoD probably would've needed a patch that was half the size of the installation folder. And IDK about AoD, but the patches of other games got released on gaming magazine discs, which was always pretty convenient.
Old 16-05-21, 12:00   #20
Nuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Two CD-ROMs. Both were used to install the game and since AoD never had copy protection, neither disc was necessary to play the game.
Actually it rather depends on what kind of installation you choose to do. If you do a full installation of the game, you won't need the discs. Otherwise you need disc 1 for the first half of the game and after finishing the level "Galleries Under Siege" and the bunch of cutscenes with Lara chasing Kurtis, being picked up by Bouchard and the FMV cutscene of Lara entering Von Croy's Apartment, the game will ask you to insert disc 2.
Nuri is offline   Reply With Quote