Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 10-06-21, 14:40   #1
TRJTA

Default PLEASE HELP! TRAOD HD modding causes crashing!

I'm having a major problem in the development of Tomb Raider - The Angel of Darkness - Definitive Edition.

The first problem is that having HD textures imported into the level files will give the following error when a GMX.CLZ file gets larger than somehwere around 200mb: "Please intert disk 1". This text will appear on a black screen when loading another level and the player will not be able to do anything.

This specific error can be fixed by placing the GMX files themselves in the maps folder (so not packing it into a CLZ file) while also unpacking the AWD.CLZ audio files to AWD files.

But then even still, occasionally (but not always, it's quite random) when loading a new level file, the game crashed and I get this message:

Build Sep 17 2003 15:53:15

The Following Error has occured

GAME_ERROR_STRUCTURED_EXCEPTION_HANDLE

DirectX Error: 0x80004005 'E_FAIL'
DirectX Error: Occured at C:\projects\tomb raider\Game\Shell\system\PC\sys_d3d_device.cpp (436)
TRAOD_P4.EXE caused a EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module TRAOD_P4.EXE at 0023:00473B8B, SYS_MEMORY_HEAP::Alloc()+23 byte(s), C:\projects\tomb raider\Game\Shell\system\PC\sys_memory.cpp, line 92+4 byte(s)

0023:00473B8B TRAOD_P4.EXE, SYS_MEMORY_HEAP::Alloc()+23 byte(s), C:\projects\tomb raider\Game\Shell\system\PC\sys_memory.cpp, line 92+4 byte(s)
0023:00473D67 TRAOD_P4.EXE, sysAllocMemTot()+19 byte(s), C:\projects\tomb raider\Game\Shell\system\PC\sys_memory.cpp, line 258+19 byte(s)

It seems to be some kind of memory related issue. I've tried so much. I optimised the HD textures to be as small as possible as a whole while retaining the visual fidelety, but this message keeps popping up.

I never get the message when playing with the vanilla level files, so having HD textures injected (perhaps too many of them/too large filesize) seems to cause this.

Does anyone know what could be a solution for these crashes? If so then you will save this project. If this can't be fixed I'm afraid the game will end up being unplayable with these random crashes

P.S. I just tried unpacking all of the level CLZ and audio CLZ files to GMX and AWD and start the game normally and go through the levels. Sadly still the same issue in Parisian Ghetto. The first levels up untill Parisian Ghetto are fine...

Last edited by TRJTA; 10-06-21 at 15:07.
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 15:00   #2
reborninshadow

That really sucks . I think this can be fixed though if a programmer manages to increase the memory limits of the exe file. Maybe someone like Nakamichi can help with this.
reborninshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 16:10   #3
Jathom95

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an artificial memory limit causing it to crash. Many older games are prone to this, it's why things like the 4GB Patch for other games are so crucial to those types of games nowadays.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if it'd work for AOD? No one's ever had any reason to try it for the game until now. But unless the game is built a very specific way where the patch breaks the executable, I wouldn't see why not. Do you want to try it out and see if it fixes anything TRJTA? I can post a link.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 16:39   #4
TRJTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it was an artificial memory limit causing it to crash. Many older games are prone to this, it's why things like the 4GB Patch for other games are so crucial to those types of games nowadays.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if it'd work for AOD? No one's ever had any reason to try it for the game until now. But unless the game is built a very specific way where the patch breaks the executable, I wouldn't see why not. Do you want to try it out and see if it fixes anything TRJTA? I can post a link.
Yes please send it to me!
Old 10-06-21, 16:47   #5
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
Yes please send it to me!
Sure, here you go:

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Just to test if it successfully completed at all, I tried it out myself just now on a fresh copy of Sasho's exe patch. It threw up a message that said it was successful, so no problems on that end. I'm not at my home rig right now though, so I can't test in-game to see if the game still works after patching.

Try it yourself and see if the game loads up. It's really easy, just click on the patch exe, find wherever TRAOD_P4.exe is and double click it, and the patch will be applied.
Old 10-06-21, 17:02   #6
TRJTA

Quote:
Sure, here you go:

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Just to test if it successfully completed at all, I tried it out myself just now on a fresh copy of Sasho's exe patch. It threw up a message that said it was successful, so no problems on that end. I'm not at my home rig right now though, so I can't test in-game to see if the game still works after patching.

Try it yourself and see if the game loads up. It's really easy, just click on the patch exe, find wherever TRAOD_P4.exe is and double click it, and the patch will be applied.
OMFG THAT DIT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jmp :

It works! The game starts flawlessly and the stupid glitch is gone! I already scaled down quite a lot of textures because I had errors before and saved the higher res ones. I pasted most of them back, and where it would literally crash everytime before when I used those higher res textures, it now even works with those ones injected!

I can't thank you enough. You literally SAVED this project!
Old 10-06-21, 17:11   #7
Jathom95

Haha, you're very welcome! I've been looking forward to your project for a long time now so I definitely wanted to help out any way I could.

Now we just need to either see if Sasho can apply it by default so people won't have to worry about it, or just make note of it for later when your project is released.

Last edited by Jathom95; 10-06-21 at 17:16.
Old 10-06-21, 18:23   #8
TRJTA

Quote:
Haha, you're very welcome! I've been looking forward to your project for a long time now so I definitely wanted to help out any way I could.

Now we just need to either see if Sasho can apply it by default so people won't have to worry about it, or just make note of it for later when your project is released.
I plan to include a patched .exe with the remaster, also with things applied to it that i would recommend for the best experience. I'll also include nakamichi680's multipatcher so that, if people want, they can still alter some things.

This is soooo divine! apart from performance of course there is now no practical limit to the textures I use. Everything works very stable now. Thanks soooo much! I've been having annoying stability issues ever since I restarted the project this year.

EDIT: The problem is fixed. The thread can be closed

Last edited by TRJTA; 10-06-21 at 19:05.