www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 27-01-21, 03:58   #1
LateRaider
Professor

Default issues getting Steam TR4 and 5 to run on windows 10?

hi, a friend of mine got the classics on Steam and i was helping him install them with mods, etc. but he can't get TR4 or 5 to launch at all. the games load to a black screen and he has to restart his computer to regain control of his PC. it does work in windowed mode but he'd prefer to play in fullscreen. does anyone have a solution? thanks
Old 27-01-21, 12:08   #2
Bokkie
Super Moderator

As a quick workaround, can your friend try to press ALT+ENTER in windowed mode, it should switch to full screen.

I am also recommending dgVoodoo2, it's free and easy to configure: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/QuickGuide/
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-21, 12:53   #3
LateRaider
Professor

yeah dgvoodoo was my next suggestion to him. he said he'd just play his ps1 copies but i dont wanna give up so easily lol
Old 28-01-21, 06:36   #4
ATombRaiderFan
Student

Could be a display resolution issue. Recently I tried to play a different game in 1600x1200 and my screen went black, so my monitor probably doesn't support said resolution. Check if your friend is able to use the setup shortcut and make sure they select the correct resolution.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-21, 21:14   #5
NYCL@R@
Professor

I have dgvoodoo 2 and TRIV looks stretched out. anyway of configuring it?
Old 30-01-21, 02:42   #6
Larasenpai
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCL@R@ View Post
Have you tried the widescreen patch for TR 2-4?
Old 30-01-21, 14:11   #7
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCL@R@ View Post
On the front page of the dgVoodoo 2 settings, click 'scaling mode' then select 4:3 .
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-21, 17:21   #8
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

Hi TRF,
Im looking for a solution to my problem, I hope someone can help me because it's a well known issue. The problem is that the menu screen is white when using Peixoto's patch. Using software mode fixes the problem but I would prefer hardware mode obviously. When I use DGVOODOO 2 that fixes the problem too but I want to know how to fix the problem when using Peixoto's patch. Does anyone know?
Old 17-02-21, 00:39   #9
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Going back to the OP's problem it sounds to me suspiciously like the quite well known rundll.exe and gameux.dll issue a number of Eidos games have in particular.

This explains the fix:-

https://steamcommunity.com/discussio...4842597996108/

I was reminded of this recently because my long time install of TR2 Gold from the original discs on a Win7 64bit PC used with a no-cd shortcut, suddenly started having to be double launched. This left a process running even after you exited the game and slowed the shutdown of the PC.

It was so long ago I'd had the same problem before with TR5 I'd forgotten about it and that solution. It appears the SysWOW64 > gameux.dll was reinstated by some other game or Windows update and I hadn't noticed.

Anyway the point is that disabling that 64bit DLL just by removing or changing its extension fixes the problem.

This is the original source for information I've just re-found and it also explains something that was bothering me: why I have a SysWOW64 > gameux.dll.UBEOGESH in my Windows folder alongside the unwanted new gameux.dll.

http://ubeogesh-things.blogspot.com/...lorer-aka.html

The problem, unlike that Steam forum thread suggests, is said to be an online issue. The gameux.dll is trying to connect to a now non-existent server to check for updates. I'd guess the Steam offline issue is possibly because Steam actually stops that check but if you're not using Steam but still online it doesn't.

That's an uneducated guess. I do not use Steam, my TRs are all installed from original discs.

Last edited by fallenangle; 17-02-21 at 01:04.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-21, 12:20   #10
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
Hi TRF,
Im looking for a solution to my problem, I hope someone can help me because it's a well known issue. The problem is that the menu screen is white when using Peixoto's patch. Using software mode fixes the problem but I would prefer hardware mode obviously. When I use DGVOODOO 2 that fixes the problem too but I want to know how to fix the problem when using Peixoto's patch. Does anyone know?
Not sure if it's a good idea mixing Pexioto's patch and dgVoodoo 2 together, because I don't use Pexioto's patch or know how it works. However... usually to fix white screens in Tomb Raider, you have to select a different emulated video card. The options are 'dgVoodoo Virtual SVGA Card', 'dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card', GeForce4 Ti 4800, ATI Radeon 8500, Matrox Parhelia-512, and GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. Try all of them and see if any fixes it.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote