www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 06-05-22, 06:41   #1
laracorecroft
Hobbyist

Default Problem in door TR2

hello. I have a good problem with the tr2 engine. I've recently started creating levels and I'm creating a level based on Venice. I'm trying to create that door that you put the boat in and then raise it with the water level using flipmap just like in the original game. Well, I've found a quite complicated problem for me. to start the door that is supposedly open to get the boat in the original game, observing the level it is closed but when you play the game it is open. This has confused me a lot and I don't know what to do there. I have tried to place the door open but without success because the boat collides as if there were a wall in that area with the door open.
laracorecroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-22, 07:05   #2
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

This simply occurs by placing a trigger to open it at the beginning of your level at a distance then once you reach the area, the door is (in open position) and then you can go from there.
In original TR2 Venice' case, can assume the trigger for the initial opening these doors is somewhere between the beginning of the level, but before the area itself.

This is a bit of a phenomina for many who hear a trapdoor opening at the start of a level and wonder where the heck it's coming from �� it's a door later in the level but needing to be in its *open* position for later operation.

The *invisible block* behind a door, only exists when the door has not been activated yet, or is forced to close again. One of those things in classic TR hah

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 06-05-22 at 07:08.
mizuno_suisei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-22, 07:10   #3
laracorecroft
Hobbyist

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
This simply occurs by placing a trigger to open it at the beginning of your level at a distance then once you reach the area, the door is (in open position) and then you can go from there.
In original TR2 Venice' case, can assume the trigger for the initial opening these doors is somewhere between the beginning of the level, but before the area itself.

This is a bit of a phenomina for many who hear a trapdoor opening at the start of a level and wonder where the heck it's coming from �� it's a door later in the level but needing to be in its *open* position for later operation.

The *invisible block* behind a door, only exists when the door has not been activated yet, or is forced to close again. One of those things in classic TR hah
wow that wouldn't have occurred to me. I'll try it later. Look how long I've been thinking about putting invisible flipmap doors etc hahaha. Thank you so much mizuno_suisei
Old 06-05-22, 07:23   #4
Gancian
Historian

Quote:
I don't know if this also applies to earlier TR games like TR2 (iirc it should), but you can get rid of the "invisible block" behind the door by simply putting the door inside the wall/portal between two rooms.
This is an engine "trick" to force enemies and Lara's follow camera to not get through closed doors. It technically changes the parameters of the sector where the closed door is placed, so if it's a floor sector it makes it a solid wall from floor to ceiling, if it's a wall sector it makes it unwalkable, like "toggle opacity 1"
Old 06-05-22, 07:34   #5
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

I stand corrected! while what I suggested may still work - I thought I'd investigate where the triggers exist in TR2 Venice and...I couldnt find them!

I then noticed that, both those specific two door objects and (the top upper trapdoor at the levels beginning which is also by default in *open* mode) have a FLAG set as 11111, unlike other objects on the map. I believe these flags are, the 12345 Buttons that exist in an objects OCB assignment window, all 5 of those buttons clicked.

This 11111 flag is also applied to some of the waterfall *mist* objects in the underground canals.

So I can assume this flag forces objects to be triggered at level commence, without needing to place a trigger at all.

Image example of that upper trapdoor, the same flags and buttons show for the two canal doors.

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 06-05-22 at 07:47.
Old 06-05-22, 07:47   #6
laracorecroft
Hobbyist

Yes. I realized that I put some flags using fexinspector. I also used trview but I have no idea how to use those flags or what they were for. but with what you have told me about placing a trigger at the beginning of the level so that the door opens, it will surely work perfectly. I'll try it later, but right now I can't. thanks for your help guys
Old 06-05-22, 07:52   #7
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracorecroft View Post
Yes. I realized that I put some flags using fexinspector. I also used trview but I have no idea how to use those flags or what they were for. but with what you have told me about placing a trigger at the beginning of the level so that the door opens, it will surely work perfectly. I'll try it later, but right now I can't. thanks for your help guys
For sure, give my first suggestion a go! However if that doesn't work as we hope, the "flags" exist in the actual level editor as the 12345 buttons in this window linked

Last edited by tlr online; 06-05-22 at 14:06. Reason: Image removed. See FAQ on posting images.
Old 06-05-22, 16:57   #8
laracorecroft
Hobbyist

Quote:
For sure, give my first suggestion a go! However if that doesn't work as we hope, the "flags" exist in the actual level editor as the 12345 buttons in this window linked
I just tried it using the trigger and it works great . although I am still intrigued as to how to use those flags in tomb editor. I'm new to this and I don't quite understand what to do.
Old 07-05-22, 00:23   #9
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracorecroft View Post
I just tried it using the trigger and it works great . although I am still intrigued as to how to use those flags in tomb editor. I'm new to this and I don't quite understand what to do.
My bad, I didn't notice that this thread was in the TE subforum! I've very little experience with it compared to the original editor.

I'm reading this link, which is completely unrelated to the issue at hand, however it shows an example of the OBJECT properties box (NOT trigger properties).

https://tomb-raider-zone.blogspot.co...-tomb.html?m=1

It has 5 tickboxes named Bit1 through to Bit5, ontop of the OCB value text box.

You'll need to open this object properties box for those two doors, and tick all 5 of those Bit# boxes which are the flags

In the original TRLE, you pressed the O Key on the keyboard while object is selected to bring up this window, but in TE, I'm guessing you can probably right click the doors (individually each on the map) and click "properties" or options or something similar.

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 07-05-22 at 01:16.
Old 07-05-22, 01:23   #10
laracorecroft
Hobbyist

Quote:
My bad, I didn't notice that this thread was in the TE subforum! I've very little experience with it compared to the original editor.

I'm reading this link, which is completely unrelated to the issue at hand, however it shows an example of the OBJECT properties box (NOT trigger properties).

https://tomb-raider-zone.blogspot.co...-tomb.html?m=1

It has 5 tickboxes named Bit1 through to Bit5, ontop of the OCB value text box.

You'll need to open this object properties box for those two doors, and tick all 5 of those Bit# boxes which are the flags

In the original TRLE, you pressed the O Key on the keyboard while object is selected to bring up this window, but in TE, I'm guessing you can probably right click the door and click "properties" or options or something similar.
don't worry, they already helped me and it's as easy as marking all the bits of the object. I did not know that. I only knew how to use some unmarked ones for a door with 2 keys for example. I guess it's not the same, I'll have to study more how the bits work.
It's messing me up with the flags and the bits. because I have never created levels with any editor until now.
The O also works in TE is the same but you can also double click. By the way, I have already tested it and it works perfectly.