Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 11-01-19, 17:21   #51
Megalith

Real Tomb Raider and Lara died a long time ago (after The Last Revelation) so it doesn't matter what they do or don't.
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 19:32   #52
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Real Tomb Raider and Lara died a long time ago (after The Last Revelation) so it doesn't matter what they do or don't.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 19:43   #53
lance6439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Subjective

Real TR is still alive
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 20:06   #54
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Subjective

Real TR is still alive
And that’s the tea. Tomb Raider and Lara Croft is largely, if not entirely defined by each person or fan. There isn’t an objective definition of TR or Lara, apart from being a video game and fictional character respectively. At least, that’s the way I see it.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 20:19   #55
Vaskito

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
And that’s the tea. Tomb Raider and Lara Croft is largely, if not entirely defined by each person or fan. There isn’t an objective definition of TR or Lara, apart from being a video game and fictional character respectively. At least, that’s the way I see it.
Exactly
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 20:21   #56
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
People who don't play video games still recognize classic Lara, but when they see my TR2013 figures they ask if it's Katniss Everdean.

I do really like Lara's design quite a lot in TR2013, and to gamers her look is iconic and distinctive, but it doesn't hold the same power as classic Lara's design.
I think it probably depends on the age group but I agree with this.

For anyone older than probably 22ish, when they hear "Lara Croft" they are going to picture a twin gun-toting, shorts wearing, acrobatic and curvaceous "posh" woman, whether it's classic or LAU Lara they picture. That's the Lara we've grown up on as Millennials.

Maybe younger kids who have only just got into the series with Reboot, who don't know the history of the series, they might jump to Reboot Lara first.

I also agree that I don't think Reboot Lara's design holds the same power, not even visually, and I've been saying this for ages. This is where character iconography matters. Classic Lara's backpack, braid, mint green vest, twin guns and holsters make her instantly recognisable, minus the vest you could instantly tell you're looking at her silhouette even if it's blacked out. Reboot Lara... well it's a grey camisole, some simple khaki slacks, a pickaxe and a bow. I feel like if you turned up to a cosplay party wearing that some people would be wondering if you're actually dressed up as anyone, whereas wearing classic Lara's outfit (especially with backpack and holsters) there is absolutely no question you came as Lara.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 11-01-19 at 20:22.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 20:45   #57
Grimaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Reboot Lara... well it's a grey camisole, some simple khaki slacks, a pickaxe and a bow. I feel like if you turned up to a cosplay party wearing that some people would be wondering if you're actually dressed up as anyone, whereas wearing classic Lara's outfit (especially with backpack and holsters) there is absolutely no question you came as Lara.
Reboot Lara cosplay tends to involve wounds, dirt, an axe, bow, tank top and jade necklace. That alone is distinctive enough for someone to recognise you are dressed as a character. Whether they’re familiar with the design depends on where you’re cosplaying.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 21:32   #58
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Reboot Lara cosplay tends to involve wounds, dirt, an axe, bow, tank top and jade necklace.
That's not even Lara Croft.
Seriously, half the people here and all over don't know what a real Tomb, Raider is or who Croft really is. It's a shame.
Really good mind games.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 21:38   #59
Grimaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight View Post
That's not even Lara Croft.
Seriously, half the people here and all over don't know what a real Tomb, Raider is or who Croft really is. It's a shame.
Really good mind games.
It’s not classic Lara, no, but I never said it was. I know exactly what those things are, and I’m not playing mind games at all.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 21:45   #60
charmedangelin

Tomb Raider defines itself as it has been defined through time. It is self established.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote