Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 17-12-18, 18:39   #21
LuigiEspadachin

^ There is another way to reconcile Lara's and Larson's relation going from TRC to TR1.

- From Larson's POV, Natla wants him to recruit Lara to find the Scion piece for her. She can't really do that if Lara's dead. From Lara's POV, they're in a hotel. Presumably Lara didn't want to start a gunfight in the middle of a potentially public place unless she had to.
LuigiEspadachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-18, 00:08   #22
Topixtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendanlovesu1 View Post
I wonder what kind of milkshake Pierre bought Larson
A funny note: on the Italian version Larson says he will buy an Ice Cream for Pierre instead of a milkshake xD

Last edited by Topixtor; 18-12-18 at 00:11.
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 02:44   #23
Helegad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
I think it's important to consider that Larson and Pierre aren't really the big bad guys. I wouldn't call them enemies of Lara, necessarily. Rivals for sure, but even rivals can have (somewhat) friendly relationships. I think the idea was to make Larson and Pierre long time treasure hunters/rivals of Lara by bringing them back in TRC. Because like you said, they already seem to know each other in TRC. That's not supposed to mean they met in TR1 (which would break the timeline), but rather they've met prior to TRC even, in some encounter that we're not shown.

Like you said, in TR1 Larson and Lara appear to be acquainted, and there's not really anything to explicitly imply she hasn't met Pierre. Larson doesn't attack her until the end of Peru, but Pierre goes after her as soon as she catches up with him in Greece. Let's assume that they haven't had any encounters since TRC. Larson is a dumb ass (his words), and he flirts quite a bit with Lara in TRC and TR1. So he doesn't stay mad at her after their last encounter in Rome. Pierre, on the other hand, is much smarter than Larson and knows Lara got the drop on when they met in Rome. So he wastes no time playing around and treats her as a threat from the get go. It's not perfect, but in my eyes it seems plausible.
I agree that TRC Rome takes place after TR. Pierre says in the intro:

"I'm afraid I must, once again, relieve you of your burden..."

Although Andy Sandham should really be shot for such glaring, obvious inconsistencies, and the rest of the team should get a good ol' thrashing for not bringing it up!
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 15:44   #24
LateRaider
Inactive

A thread about Larson and Pierre and no one called me? The nerve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendanlovesu1 View Post
I wonder what kind of milkshake Pierre bought Larson
I've headcanoned it as strawberry. Anyone else have an idea? I imagine Pierre is a chocolate-loving man.

Quote:
I think it's important to consider that Larson and Pierre aren't really the big bad guys. I wouldn't call them enemies of Lara, necessarily. Rivals for sure, but even rivals can have (somewhat) friendly relationships. I think the idea was to make Larson and Pierre long time treasure hunters/rivals of Lara by bringing them back in TRC. Because like you said, they already seem to know each other in TRC. That's not supposed to mean they met in TR1 (which would break the timeline), but rather they've met prior to TRC even, in some encounter that we're not shown.

Like you said, in TR1 Larson and Lara appear to be acquainted, and there's not really anything to explicitly imply she hasn't met Pierre. Larson doesn't attack her until the end of Peru, but Pierre goes after her as soon as she catches up with him in Greece. Let's assume that they haven't had any encounters since TRC. Larson is a dumb ass (his words), and he flirts quite a bit with Lara in TRC and TR1. So he doesn't stay mad at her after their last encounter in Rome. Pierre, on the other hand, is much smarter than Larson and knows Lara got the drop on when they met in Rome. So he wastes no time playing around and treats her as a threat from the get go. It's not perfect, but in my eyes it seems plausible.
Stole the idea right out of my head. I've figured they probably had some other encounter with her prior to TRI. But seeing the official timeline goes like this:

Quote:
The Black Isle (TRC)
Cambodia (TR4)
Rome (TRC)
TR1 & UB
Russian Base (TRC)
TR2 & TGM
TR3 & TLA
VCI (TRC)
TR4
It's probably safer to say that they fudged some details... I imagine that Cambodia is actually before Ireland, TRI/UB are before Rome, and New York is before TRIII/TLA. A bit of a shame, because had I known about the inconsistencies beforehand, I would've offered this rearranged timeline when I was writing my fics. (I thought the only inconsistency was TR:C Rome being after TRI. Oops.)

At any rate, the simplest explanation is that Lara probably just didn't fatally shoot Larson and Pierre in Tomb of Qualopec and Tomb of Tihocan, respectively.

P.S., If anyone wants to discuss Pierrson (The portmanteau of the Pierre x Larson ship as coined by the lovely Voxsound) in this thread, please feel free to x
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 18:09   #25
TombRaiderTim

For my final thought, to settle the deal with Pierre and Larson, its safe to say they had an encounter with Lara even before TRC due to rivals usually having similar interests which tends to lead to unfortunate encounters and if you combine the ideas of TR1 and TRA together, they made it quite clear that Pierre and Larson meet their demise with Pierre being crushed with his neck snapped by Centuars and Larson being shot by Lara and then The Lost Island crumbling down on him would have finished him if he had any life left as it was.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-18, 07:22   #26
A_De

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
I was really shocked that Lara left Pierre with his fate after he actually saved her. That was ridiculously cruel and needless from her side.

And about inconsistent timelines... well, I think that the Black Isle was after Cambodia. Lara seems very much prepared to that adventure, and Von Croy's lessons would make sense.
I don't care that much to be honest.

Last edited by A_De; 23-12-18 at 07:23.
A_De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-18, 05:09   #27
Tyrannosaurus

The correct order of events would be:

Cambodia
Ireland
Rome
TR1
TR2
VCI
TR3
Russian Base
TR4
AOD
Tyrannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-18, 00:14   #28
tomee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus View Post
The correct order of events would be:

Cambodia
Ireland
Rome
TR1
TR2
VCI
TR3
Russian Base
TR4
AOD
This is how I would put them in order too, except... Russian Base? Isn't she supposed to be like really really young there? I might be wrong, but that's the impression I got from that section. I would place it between Ireland and Rome.

As for Pierre and Larson returning, I just assume that Natla was already monitoring Lara as a candidate to find the scion for her. After Rome, she recovered the injured/dead Larson and Pierre and used Atlantean technology to heal/reanimate them and send them after Lara, again.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-18, 02:09   #29
Boobandie

Hmm... that would explain why Pierre is so confident about his position. He's working for the ceo of a massively powerful tech giant. He's cautious with Lara, but he always seems to believe that he will win. It also provides a deeper backstory that Natla had been following Lara's career for at least a year before contacting her about the Tomb of Qualopec.

The guns he uses in Chronicles are Natla Technology Magnums after all. It could be just Core reusing assets, but they did update his model quite a bit for TR5.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-18, 01:26   #30
Caesum

Personally I think Natla might have considered using Lara only after the encounter in TR5. Maybe earlier P&L were working for Natla to get other artifacts so she could use them in her projects/experiments/whatever her corporation was working atm. But since Lara happened and the stone was taken, she decided that Lara was a better candidate to retrieve the Scion.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote