Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 12-03-19, 22:04   #111
Ahmier
Unverified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
You can still globe trot in open world games. See above about Croft Manor being the central hub. Each location being its own big open world, you can travel from one to the other.

Something like this with 4 hubs would be basically TR3 with better technology. That's freaking perfection.
Ah that makes sense. I do like that.
Ahmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 22:51   #112
johnanonymouz

Quote:
You can still globe trot in open world games. See above about Croft Manor being the central hub. Each location being its own big open world, you can travel from one to the other.

Something like this with 4 hubs would be basically TR3 with better technology. That's freaking perfection.
I understand though that building a good story for a system like this is difficult.
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 01:18   #113
iWANEX
Golden

I’ve been playing Odyssey lately and one thing I like is that it has an immersive mode where there’s no pointers and you need to ask people the location of missions, artifacts, etc. A mode like this could work so great in a TR open world game. Of course, casuals could choose the normal way of playing but it would be a really cool addition. I’m not sure if other games have a similar mechanic but it’s the first time I noticed this.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 01:24   #114
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
I understand though that building a good story for a system like this is difficult.
Maybe you're just used to linear games (no shade). Open world games have some of the most elaborate and greatest stories ever. Heck, TR3 was formulated in an open world style without the tech and the story was just fine. With the technology we have now, we could definitely have an incredible open world game experience with globe-trotting, and a great story to go with it. I mean in all realness, the stories in the reboot games weren't groundbreaking by any means, at the very least they can deliver on par with those, but there's no reason why they couldn't do better.

Just because a game is open world doesn't mean it can't have a story. All open world games still have main paths and stories that trigger the same as a linear game would, the difference is that you have a whole lot more you can do and explore, and you can play the game at your own pace. Want to spend an extra 30 hours just exploring before finishing the story? Go for it! Want to just run through the main parts and play it like you would a linear game? You can do that too.

Last edited by Melonie Tomb Raider; 13-03-19 at 01:27.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 01:30   #115
johnanonymouz

Quote:
Maybe you're just used to linear games (no shade). Open world games have some of the most elaborate and greatest stories ever. Heck, TR3 was formulated in an open world style without the tech and the story was just fine. With the technology we have now, we could definitely have an incredible open world game experience with globe-trotting, and a great story to go with it. I mean in all realness, the stories in the reboot games weren't groundbreaking by any means, at the very least they can deliver on par with those, but there's no reason why they couldn't do better.

Just because a game isn't open world doesn't mean it can't have a story. All open world games still have main paths and stories that trigger the same as a linear game would, the difference is that you have a whole lot more you can do and explore, and you can play the game at your own pace. Want to spend an extra 30 hours just exploring before finishing the story? Go for it! Want to just run through the main parts and play it like you would a linear game? You can do that too.
No need. We all have different experiences in gaming and I haven't played a lot of open world games so I wouldn't know. My mind can only go so far based on the games I've played. It would be really amazing if they could make it work. It doesn't even have to be a great story. A good enough story with amazing gameplay was always more than enough for a great Tomb Raider experience.
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 17:04   #116
Portugalraider

Regarding story in an open-world game, I think Zelda Breath of the Wild had the best idea regarding how story in an open world game should be tackled: you have a clear set-up and a clear end goal from the start, but every else is optional and can be dealt in any order you want or not at all. This mostly means that if you end up wondering off like you do in any open world game, you are also never too far away from a story segment, if you wish to progress the plot. And since each segment is mostly independent of one another (and those who aren't usually are locked until you complete the necessary segments), things never become too complicated to follow.

Now, the game did have a fairly basic plot, but I do really enjoy how it was scructured.

That being said, I still think Open World is not the direction to take Tomb Raider.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote