Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 14-09-20, 19:20   #41
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
PS2 TRU was almost certainly built on the same engine as TRL/A, just tweaked. Likewise, the next gen titles were also built on the foundation of the TRL/A engine. The engine has little to do with it, the problem is that last gen TRU was a minimum effort project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEdge10 View Post
All TR games developed by Crystal Dynamics were always built with the same engine (Foundation Engine, Legacy of Kain)
Yes but also no. While they always used the same engine, they also used different versions of it. TRA was made with the same version of the engine as TRL which is why Crystal could develop it so fast. But the engine was significantly updated for TRU so that it could take full advantage of the hardware of the Xbox 360 and PS3. The PS2 and Wii versions of TRU were released much later, so it's very likely that the developers of those ports used the same version of the engine that was used for the main version of TRU and tweaked it for the weaker consoles, which of course takes more time than just using the TRL version of the engine.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 14:12   #42
Greatest TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
Every day i'm reminded how much of a mistake I made getting a ps3 in 2011.
Girl,

I still have my original launch PS3 60GB version early 2007.
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 14:42   #43
Bridge
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
Girl,

I still have my original launch PS3 60GB version early 2007.
Well that was obviously a great investment.
Sadly I didn’t get the backwards compatible model so I can’t enjoy 720p ps2 games and all my ps3 games ended up multiplats anyways
Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 18:19   #44
Kapu

Default @^

You didn't miss out on anything, imo. I don't know much about the tech side of backwards compatibility on the PS3, but I can tell you that PS2 games definitely didn't run at a native 720p on mine. I'm guessing they were just upscaled with that optional "smoothing" filter applied (same as PS1 games). And the backward compatible consoles were almost guaranteed to die of hardware failure. Mine crapped out after about 10 years, which was a lot longer than others! It died with a copy of the TR Trilogy in it no less. RIP to them both For comparison, I still have a working PS2 and PS1.

However, if you're used to playing PS2 games through a composite connector (the yellow/red/white cables that come with the console), you can get a big visual upgrade by switching to a component connector (the red/green/blue & red/white cables)! Much better picture quality, especially for games that support progressive scan (giving you 480p instead of 480i)!

Oh, and btw...
Quote:
Every day i'm reminded how much of a mistake I made getting a ps3 in 2011.
...it's still a great console with a massive catalog of great games! Even today, it's still a good buy (for the right price).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCake View Post
The 7th gen version of Rise could've looked even better on the PS3... Never quite understood why they didn't bother porting it over after the exclusivity deal was over.
Maybe part of the deal was that the last-gen version was for 360 only. Who knows? Seems like Microsoft pretty much paid for it. And like LuckyEdge10 said, it would have been difficult to port to PS3 anyway. Was it worth it to do a multi generation release? Probably not.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 20:10   #45
Greatest TR

Quote:
Well that was obviously a great investment.
Sadly I didn’t get the backwards compatible model so I can’t enjoy 720p ps2 games and all my ps3 games ended up multiplats anyways
It was a great investment actually, no it doesnt run at 720p for PS2, it's pretty good actually especially if you have a compoment cables, upscale and smothing setting for PS1 and PS2.

Last edited by Greatest TR; 18-09-20 at 20:13.
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-20, 03:59   #46
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

I now think you'll be able to play this game on the 4K and 8K resolution in the PCSX2 emulator. That sounds like a better idea.
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-20, 14:08   #47
_KC_

I love the PS2 version, but mostly as a curiosity.

It's obviously a watered down port on (then) last gen tech. It was impressive to see a port at all.

I like how the game is running on the same engine that would eventually power the reboots. So essentially they're using the same engine now that powered this old PS2 game. That must be one versatile engine.

Hope you enjoy the game.
_KC_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 20:31   #48
CircusBabysGal

TRU for the PS2 arrived for me today since I was also curious and though it looks horrible I enjoy the tweaked layouts, I really liked the underground croft manor extra rooms!
Aside from that the textures in Thailand are horrible and the levels can be completed rather quickly since they are so watered down, literally 75% of Thailand is missing in the PS2 Version
CircusBabysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 22:59   #49
Nate

I played both the PS2 and Wii version and they are defiantly unique in their own way, I enjoyed playing them though.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-22, 06:44   #50
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

I pretty much think it's a bit hard to steer Lara to any direction with certain wireless controllers on the PS2. So do you know if that's true? I know a Logitech brand will help her to steer herself right with all directions.
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote