www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 22-10-20, 19:29   #1
Mutant Messiah
Historian

Default Do you think the reboot trilogy will be vindicated just like Tomb Raider Legend was?

One thing that's very apparent in this forum...

Fan opinions differ.

The one thing that's a bit overlooked in my opinion...

Those opinions also change over time.

Tomb Raider Legend was an interesting case.

Up to this day, Angel of Darkness and Tomb Raider Underworld are still consider to be letdown Tomb Raider games, but I SPECIFICALLY remembered Tomb Raider Legend was bashed heavily. To a similar extent like Tomb Raider 2013 was.

So 15 years or so later, Tomb Raider Legend is NOW OK? What gives?

Don't get me wrong though. I like that game right from the very beginning. It's just that my opinion DID NOT CHANGE. Though it upsets me that some people's opinion can be hypocritical.

I noticed a pattern.

The same people that like Tomb Raider Last Revelation also like Tomb Raider 1 and Tomb Raider Anniversary.

If you're going to like The Last Revelation because of the puzzle difficulty, you should not like Tomb Raider 1 because the puzzles were easy, and same with Tomb Raider Anniversary. Sometimes, the puzzles in Anniversary were even copy and pasted iterations of their Tomb Raider 1 counterpart.

If were going to appreciate puzzles, I think Tomb Raider 2 should get more credits because the difficulty is much higher and there was no UNFORESEEN MECHANICS. The Last Revelation DID NOT EXPLAIN that you need to BACKTRACK on a previously exited hub. There was no backtracking in previous TR games.

And if we would like to appreciate a Tomb Raider game purely on merits of quality of the puzzles, I think Lara Croft Go should have been given more credits.

I honestly think that Legend was better than Anniversary but purists cling to Anniversary because of nostalgia.

Survivor reboot sort of received a general treatment.

2013 and Rise - appreciated better by gamers outside Tomb Raider forums
Shadow - better appreciated by Tomb Raider forum members.

It made me think if 5-10 years from now, 2013 and Rise will have the same turn of perception that Legend did.

What are your honest thoughts on this?

Last edited by Mutant Messiah; 23-10-20 at 01:08.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-20, 19:46   #2
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Nope. For me I always liked Legend/Anniversary/Underworld because they still had enough Tomb Raider elements for me to enjoy. The reboot trilogy doesn't imo, so for me no matter how much time passes, I'm not going to suddenly start liking it. It's gone so far away from what I expect in a TR game, no matter what they do next, it won't change my view on the reboot trilogy.
Old 22-10-20, 19:57   #3
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

I think it depends on individual tastes.

Thereís plenty of members over the years that loved TReboot when it came out then months later stopped loving it and only started liking it.
I think itíll eventually dwindle into obscurity.

The games now donít do anything to give it a 10/10.
I think itíll be looked at with rose colored glasses, and when you go back to experience the game again it wonít hold that same sort of fun as it once did.

Classic TR has thrill and challenge still. Theyíre well made games that excelled at platforming and backtracking and exploration.
The new games donít IMO excel at anything.
Old 22-10-20, 20:13   #4
redfox45
Archaeologist

I think they'll just be mostly forgotten, it kind of feels like they've been forgotten already, same as LAU to a lesser extent.
The first 6 are still the most remembered and recognized for better or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
Up to this day, Angel of Darkness and Tomb Raider Underworld are still consider to be letdown Tomb Raider games
Angel of Darkness is one of those games that was so bad that even people who have never played a single Tomb Raider game are aware of the legends of just how terrible it was, like Devil May Cry 2, Assassins Creed: Unity and Sonic 06
Old 22-10-20, 20:25   #5
Grimaldi
Professor

I canít imagine theyíll win anyone over who isnít a fan already, but theyíll be remembered for better or worse. The reboot grabbed the publicís attention in a way that hadnít been seen since the classicís peak of popularity and are considered good games in their own right, but bitterly divided the fandom in the process.
Old 22-10-20, 20:52   #6
trfan16
Archaeologist

I don't remember Legends being hated that much. I never posted on these boards during the LAU days, but I regularly posted on the GameFAQs boards for those games. I remember Legends being liked for the most part. Maybe it had to do with the fact it was the first TR game in three years. It did receive some criticism like Zip's constant chatting, the level linearity, and the overall the shortness of the game. But I feel Legends sort of gets a free pass since it was the first game in the trilogy and CD had a chance to address some of these issues in the sequels. Similar to some fans' feelings towards TR2013. Anniversary, on the other hand, received mixed reviews and even receives more criticism now. And Underworld is pretty much maligned by the fanbase.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-20, 20:57   #7
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

My opinion of LAU, especially Legend, has actually become way less positive over time, so probably not.

The flaws might get somewhat forgotten about, or at least discussion of the games will get pushed to the back as newer ones come out. I'm sure when the next mediocre try-hard AAA game using the TR title comes out then this forum will still be like

I'm just kind of disilluisioned at this point and beyond hoping or caring what happens next.
Old 22-10-20, 23:20   #8
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I honestly think that Legend was better than Anniversary but purists cling to Anniversary because of nostalgia.
Ew, nostalgia ? What is this cheap attempt to discredit the opinion here.
Anniversary is just a better game in general (length, challenge, puzzle, level design, traps...), in my honest opinion.
Old 23-10-20, 00:31   #9
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I don't know if opinions about Legend have changed over the years but I know my opinion of it hasn't. The only thing that I've possibly changed my mind about with that game is Amanda. I think her character is better than I originally thought but not by massive amounts, I just don't hate her goth look as much as I did first time around.

I think it's unlikely my opinions about the other games will change much either. Or if they do, it tends to be more negative than positive because as advances in gaming take place, the difference between old and new is getting greater daily. This includes the original games too, although like Quebseneuf, I do feel the classics hold some special essence that the other games don't quite have.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 23-10-20 at 00:35.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-20, 03:06   #10
Woops
Archaeologist

Quote:
I noticed a pattern.

The same people that like Tomb Raider Last Revelation also like Tomb Raider 1 and Tomb Raider Anniversary.

If you're going to like The Last Revelation because of the puzzle difficulty, you should not like Tomb Raider 1 because the puzzles were easy, and same with Tomb Raider Anniversary. Sometimes, the puzzles in Anniversary were even copy and pasted iterations of their Tomb Raider 1 counterpart.

If were going to appreciate puzzles, I think Tomb Raider 2 should get more credits because the difficulty is much higher and there was no UNFORESEEN MECHANICS. The Last Revelation DID NOT EXPLAIN that you need to BACKTRACK on a previously exited hub. There was no backtracking in previous TR games.
I disagree here. I like TR1 but I don't really like TR4. I don't hate it but I don't like it either. and I did enjoy anniversary. I like TR2 just because it has the ship levels, the rest of the levels were a bit boring overall. (Of course this is all my opinion)- but I don't think it's correct to try and fit it in a pattern, every person has got their own tastes in games. which also makes it hard to fit them in "categories" like mechanics, puzzles and whatnot, especially not like that.
Quote:
If you're going to like The Last Revelation because of the puzzle difficulty, you should not like Tomb Raider 1 because the puzzles were easy
this part, to be specific, is wrong imo, there's a lot more to both games, putting them both in just one category and "judging" (for the lack of a better word) people's taste based on it is just not right :v
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote