www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 27-06-18, 15:30   #1
Anne Boleyn
Explorer

Default Support for a writer friend

Hi all,

One of my friends from university days has become an author. He has had two novels published in the last months - both, I understand, Tudor-era murder mysteries set in Scotland (where we went to uni studying history!).

Heís asked on Facebook to share the novels and ask anyone I can for reviews on Amazon. His name is Steven Veerapen, and the novels are called:

The Abbey Close
The Royal Burgh

Both are available for Kindle download from Amazon right now (I canít seem to get paperback, but maybe Iím doing something wrong). If anyoneís interested, please consider giving them a read and review.
Old 27-06-18, 23:17   #2
HD Simplicityy
Archaeologist

That's awesome! I have books I'm reading at the moment, and ones I will be reading, but congratulations to your friend. I have a short story I wouldn't mind trying to get published once revised enough.
Old 28-06-18, 06:46   #3
Anne Boleyn
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Simplicityy View Post
That's awesome! I have books I'm reading at the moment, and ones I will be reading, but congratulations to your friend. I have a short story I wouldn't mind trying to get published once revised enough.
Itís so cool -now if I can only get him to write adventure novels... Iíd encourage you to get your story published. Whatís it about?
Old 28-06-18, 20:23   #4
HD Simplicityy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Boleyn View Post
It’s so cool -now if I can only get him to write adventure novels... I’d encourage you to get your story published. What’s it about?
I wrote it for a writing workshop class last year in school. It's not as cohesive as I'd like it to be, so it's hard to write a one sentence synopsis. In a Tolkien-like medieval city, there's a young girl and her best friend that carry on life - training to be swordswomen, being educated, and wanting to explore the surrounding lands. The city and the girls get attacked by these apparently long gone bad guys, and the main character - Lydia (who is a direct reference to a famous NPC in a fantasy RPG) wants to learn about it and fight back. So it's a short piece about friendship, the harshness of the world around them, and life in a medieval city. It's the first fantasy story I've ever written; I'm more of a sci fi and action adventure guy. Im on the third draft, and it needs drastic revision...again lol.
Old 28-06-18, 21:08   #5
Anne Boleyn
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Simplicityy View Post
I wrote it for a writing workshop class last year in school. It's not as cohesive as I'd like it to be, so it's hard to write a one sentence synopsis. In a Tolkien-like medieval city, there's a young girl and her best friend that carry on life - training to be swordswomen, being educated, and wanting to explore the surrounding lands. The city and the girls get attacked by these apparently long gone bad guys, and the main character - Lydia (who is a direct reference to a famous NPC in a fantasy RPG) wants to learn about it and fight back. So it's a short piece about friendship, the harshness of the world around them, and life in a medieval city. It's the first fantasy story I've ever written; I'm more of a sci fi and action adventure guy. Im on the third draft, and it needs drastic revision...again lol.
I like the sound of female protagonists - you donít see enough of them in fantasy fiction (usually theyíre damsels in distress!). To be honest Iíve no idea the steps one goes through to get published - Iím guessing drafting is a big part of it though. Go for it - and keep us updated on progress!
Old 28-06-18, 22:24   #6
Rai

I've downloaded the samples for each. I will surely buy them if I enjoy the chapters. It's how I always do it with kindle books. Thank you for the recommendation.
Old 29-06-18, 07:54   #7
Anne Boleyn
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I've downloaded the samples for each. I will surely buy them if I enjoy the chapters. It's how I always do it with kindle books. Thank you for the recommendation.
Thanks, Rai. Iíve read the first one now (not the second yet) and I loved it. I know some of the locations (Glasgow), and I didnít know who the killer was until it was revealed, which Iím usually good at guessing!

Iíll start his second one soon.