www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 25-09-20, 13:34   #34131
TrustyBow
Professor

I mean it sounds like it wasn't meant to run on next-gen in the first place. I'm really starting to lose faith in this game and Capcom as a whole.
Old 25-09-20, 13:46   #34132
rewak
Professor

Why? When it is was revealed a lot of people complained about it being next gen only so now they're looking at ways to make it work on current gen. That's a lot better than other companies who ignore what fans say. It started development on current gen because they didn't have next gen development hardware at the time, when it became available they started upgrading it. That's how a lot of games go for launch periods of consoles, that's why you still see notes on footage saying it's running on a PC with the expected performance of next gen hardware.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-20, 13:56   #34133
TrustyBow
Professor

It was apparently supposed to be cross gen at first but then Capcom tried to make it next-gen only and it's struggling to run on there. And now they're saying it "might" be on current gen as well. It just sounds like they don't know what they're doing and the games production hasn't been going well.
Old 25-09-20, 16:37   #34134
rewak
Professor

Well they didn't really know this was going to be RE8 when they started developing it, it was going to be a side game but after the response from early play testing they upgraded it to RE8, which isn't the first time they've done this. That's when they switched it to next gen and gave it more time/money. Then they worked in ideas that used next gen technology like the faster SSD speeds, higher quality models and assets, and lighting/particle effects to make it look nicer.

The rumor is some of these effects aren't working well on PS5, HOWEVER the person who started these rumors has made it pretty clear since it started gaining traction that his knowledge only comes from people playing one of the first early builds on PS5 ONLY. He only theorised the XBX/PC versions were running as intended because he hadn't heard otherwise. Expecting an early build to run smoothly is crazy, if it was that easy games wouldn't take so long to make. Most of the work comes in the final 10-20% of making a game when you have to optimise. If they've found ways to optimise the game that would enable it to run on current gen hardware as well then that's what they'll do. They've said they aren't making any promises about it because they're most likely still in that optimisation stage but RE Engine is pretty scalable so if they can work out how to make it run smoothly and not look like ass then of course they'll push it to current gen. It might be that it'll run with lower quality assets at 1080/30 on base consoles and 1080/60 on Pro/X, then the next gen version will use higher quality assets running in 4K. It's like how Rise of the Tomb Raider was announced for next gen only then they made a 360 version work as well.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-20, 18:38   #34135
RedField2012
Historian

Now they're equal

RedField2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-20, 01:54   #34136
Johnnay
Tomb Raider

If this game has issues for next gen why bother releasing it for this gen 🤦*♂️
Old 26-09-20, 02:41   #34137
matrix54
Tomb Raider

This is the weirdest marketing. It feels like they have nothing to show except pretty environments.
Old 26-09-20, 14:44   #34138
MelikeLara
Professor

I'm glad to hear they're considering current gen platforms, I just hope it's as good as hyped once it's out, I've really enjoyed 7/2/3 so fingers crossed
Old 26-09-20, 18:01   #34139
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54 View Post
This is the weirdest marketing. It feels like they have nothing to show except pretty environments.
Resident Evil games are not very long so I'm glad they're keeping things mysterious, I don't want them to show us the whole game before we play it.
Grizzly Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-20, 18:17   #34140
xdesperado_
Historian

Since the first Village trailer dropped, I had a weird hunch this game was potentially receiving cross-gen support - as the graphics look just about the same as RE7's.

Personally I would rather wait until I get a PS5 to play this game, as I'm planning to upgrade to the PS5 in early 2021.
xdesperado_ is offline   Reply With Quote