Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Technical Support

Old 13-06-20, 17:13   #1
TRF
Professor

Default An offline "network" for restaurant printers

Hi guys,

I have a weird question to ask you.

I own a restaurant with over 240 seats.
We are still working on a old system, which requires us to walk mile after mile to get our order out to a central cash register.

We have one central computer with the register on it, connected to a WiFi network, a tablet for outside connected to WiFi and two printers connected by Ethernet to the router. But here's the problem: when Internet falls out, our printers stop working and the registers can't find them anymore.

When Internet comes back on, I need to edit the IP-address of the printers again so that the register finds them. But this takes time and with a full restaurant/terras, it's not really good for our stresslevels.

So I was thinking:

If I set up a router, not connected to any network (offline) and connect the printers by Ethernet to that router. Have it send out a WiFi signal, that can be picked up by the pc and tablet.

Basically creating an offline network for our registers to be connected to, but not being connected to any "online" network.

Could that be possible?

Thank you in advance!!!!
Old 13-06-20, 20:14   #2
ANoDE
Golden

Yeah, that should be possible. Your computer would have a wired connection to the internet and a WiFi connection to the local network. If everything Wifi is connected to one device, and no internet connection is required for them, it doesn't even have to be a router but rather an access point (although most consumer devices support both modes anyway).
Old 16-06-20, 13:51   #3
TRF
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
If everything Wifi is connected to one device, and no internet connection is required for them
But that is the problem. The ticketprinters need a connection by Ethernet and the PC need to be connected (either by LAN or Wifi) to the router that has the wired Ticketprinters on it.

But since the internet connection at our business is so bad, I need to look for an alternative.
Old 16-06-20, 14:14   #4
ANoDE
Golden

Ok, I read over that. Still, the only device that needs internet is the PC, right?

The offline-network connecting the printers, the tablet and the PC can still work. The PC would have to have two network adapters - one for the internet and one for the offline-LAN.

If that doesn't work, maybe you should investigate, why your whole network goes down as soon as the internet goes offline. That shouldn't be the case, unless your current internet-router crashes in these situations.
Old 07-07-20, 18:09   #5
MuruCoder
Explorer

Did you solve this?

I think it should be possible but since I never worked with a setup like this I can only guess a few things.

What kind of IPs are you setting for the printers? If you are entering internet IPs they'll naturally become inaccessible when internet goes off. You'll need a local one like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x usually.

This page is talking about a "Wireless Isolation" option in the router control panel that might be causing the router to separate wired and wireless devices. Perhaps yours has a similar option that prevents connection through local IPs or when there's no global internet.

You might try assigning static local IPs to all the devices on the router. This should at least prevent having to reenter them everytime.
MuruCoder is offline   Reply With Quote