Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 31-03-20, 20:55   #1
jcdbm
Inactive

Default Editing Secret and Time Data in Save Files for TR 1-5 PC

Hi,

I searched the forums but had trouble finding results regarding editing the secret and time data in savegame files for Tomb Raider 1-5 on PC.
I've been using TOMBEDIT and TRSEdit but they only offer changing secret counts for certain games like TR2 Golden Mask and TR3.
My goal is to create save files that are at the beginning of levels but with previous levels' secrets completed. The idea is to create save files that act as level selects since the PC versions do not support level select. I'd also like to edit out the time data so that each level is a fresh start.
Specifically I am interested in save files for TR1, TRUB, TR2, TR2GM, TR3LA, TR4, and TR5.

If anyone has resources or info on how to change secret data and also time elapsed data, I'd be very grateful.

Last edited by jcdbm; 31-03-20 at 21:01.
jcdbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-20, 21:01   #2
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Smile

Welcome to the forum.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 04:43   #3
jcdbm
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you. Due to the pandemic, I recently started revisiting my childhood games, TR2 and 3, but decided to play the other ones and all the expansions. I felt that the lack of level select felt missing, so I am trying to create save files with clean time and no distance traveled, etc.
Old 01-04-20, 08:07   #4
mizuno_suisei

Hey!

I'm fairly sure TRsavegameeditor has a secret counter box you can change at will (but also only limited to medipack/weapons/ammo changes - not things like keys collected so far.)

You mentioned missing level select. I feel you!! If it helps - there are two tools which you can actually briefly use to enable this in the scripts of the classic TR games. You might actually find this plenty easier than reconstructing savegames.

tombpceditor edits the TR2/3 script located in your /DATA folder of each game as tombpc.dat - go to options tab and "enable level select" (Golds editable this way too)

scripter4 edits the scripts of TR4/5 located in the root folder of each game. #language#.dat and script.dat. ##being the language you installed initially. Select your lang and script in scripter4, options, enable level select. Save Times Exclusive bonus editable this way too but..pretty unnescessary.

Both tools can be found on aspidetr.com
Once done - all of those games will allow you to choose any level at the very start.
By the way - have fun toggling the FLYCHEAT code in scripter4. The keys D O Z and Y together will make Lara fly! Control to move forward and shift to return to normal mode.

Take care! I think returning to TR during these restrictive times is helping a whole lot of the fan community. Enjoy!

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 01-04-20 at 08:10.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 18:16   #5
jcdbm
Inactive

Thanks so much for the help! This solution was much much better than what I was looking for. I was able to enable level selects for TR2, Golden Mask, TR3, Lost Artifact, and Chronicles.

For TR2, I see 3 extra levels below Home Sweet Home that use different files. I tried removing those in the editor and it made the dat file uneditable when opened again with the editor, and in-game produced no changes. How would I go about removing them properly?

For TR1 and Unfinished Business, is there a similar solution of just enabling the level select? It's much better than trying to create save game files. I'm using the ATI version of the game, along with modified level data files that have Lara's braids working and uses PSX uzi sounds.

Last edited by jcdbm; 01-04-20 at 19:09.
Old 01-04-20, 23:59   #6
mizuno_suisei

Those extra 3 levels at the end there are actually segments of the DEMO sequences you see if you let the TR2 TITLE screen idle for too long (20 or so seconds?). They're not new level files - they just take a preprogrammed recording of the level and replay it if you land in DEMO mode. I wouldn't recommend removing them from your script at all - it may just cause troubles.

If I remember correctly, there might actually be a tick box in tombpceditor's option area for disabling demo mode MAYBE? could have a tinker with that. If not, again, I wouldnt try to delete them from the script - just dont choose them ingame if you can help it

We sound like two peas in a pod, I'm also a TombATI'er who just had to re-add the PSX uzi sound myself to the normal original level files just because. I love the uzis and the PC sound was...a major wtf moment!

I actually made a thread in the TR1 forum just a few days ago enquiring about TR1 scripting and enabling level select!! it may be possible - but under investigation. Theres a Youtuber who also uses an (assumed tombati) mod with fly cheat, open all doors etc.. which is something alot of us have never heard of nor used before - very very intrigued for more info there also.

Your best current solution is to rename whatever TR1 level you want to play, to Level1.phd unfortunately. Easy but, not authentic.
Old 01-04-20, 23:59   #7
mizuno_suisei

Is there a reason you didn't mention success in TR4?
Old 02-04-20, 00:52   #8
jcdbm
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
If I remember correctly, there might actually be a tick box in tombpceditor's option area for disabling demo mode MAYBE? could have a tinker with that. If not, again, I wouldnt try to delete them from the script - just dont choose them ingame if you can help it
Tomb PC Editor loads correctly if I delete them off the Levels tab and the right panel of Script Commands tab, but the demo levels still show up in the in-game level select. And it seems that the demos still work when waiting or selecting them in the list even with Demos Disabled checked. I'd like to make it so that the actual levels, upto Home Sweet Home, show up only.

Quote:
We sound like two peas in a pod, I'm also a TombATI'er who just had to re-add the PSX uzi sound myself to the normal original level files just because. I love the uzis and the PC sound was...a major wtf moment!

I actually made a thread in the TR1 forum just a few days ago enquiring about TR1 scripting and enabling level select!! it may be possible - but under investigation. Theres a Youtuber who also uses an (assumed tombati) mod with fly cheat, open all doors etc.. which is something alot of us have never heard of nor used before - very very intrigued for more info there also.
Yes, TombATI is awesome. It looks a lot better than the Steam version I was using, I'm really glad that there are classic TR fans that have developed improvements such as that. I hope that a solution is found, and also thank you again for being prompt with available answers.

Quote:
Is there a reason you didn't mention success in TR4?
I finished playing through TR1, UB, TR2, GM, TR3, LA and just today, TR5 Chronicles. I am going to check out TR4:TLR pretty soon. I read online and watched review videos that said TR5 was a downgrade compared to TR4, and that the Core Design team planned to finish the series with TR4 The Last Revelation by sending off Lara Croft to her death. So I wanted to save the technically best/chronologically end for last.

I noticed that for certain TR3 levels, you should be spawning with the artifact found in previous selection. Such as, if you traversed through South Pacific and London, your Nevada levels should have you starting with the Infada Stone, Ora Dagger, and Element 115. I noticed this doesn't happen with the level select, so is there a way to fix this too?
This problem also applies generally to all levels with weapons found in-game, such as, if you start a brand new Nevada Desert level, you should spawn with more than just the pistols.

Also, I don't see an option to change the thread title, but I think this thread should be renamed to something like "Enabling Level Select in Classic TR Games on PC" as save game files are no longer the topic of discussion.

Last edited by jcdbm; 02-04-20 at 01:04.
Old 04-04-20, 01:10   #9
mizuno_suisei

Like I said- just avoid them. Removing the demos from the script at all seems to cause the crash. I know it's not aesthetically pleasing but.. you may have no other choice.

Regarding tr3 artifacts I'm not 100% sure but I feel like there may be a thread or two in the tr3 subforum regarding this. It sounds like it's either a script issue or, level files are missing specific artifacts (found in a previously played level) therefore may either not show in inventory at all, or it WILL show but text only. No physical rotating object in the inventory.

but, what do you mean about having more weapons by default in Nevada? You only start the Jungle (level 1) with pistols, why would nevada be any different? I'm figuring you may be confusing the great wall in TR2, where by immediate default Lara is given the shotgun too. The only level in tr3 with any type of different default weapons setup in the script is the high security compound, stripping her entire inventory. This is neither before or after a world map level select so, it's as it should be.

TRF doesn't allow editing of thread titles. I wouldn't worry about it. People will take new info from reading this now and in the future regardless

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 04-04-20 at 01:14.
Old 04-04-20, 23:00   #10
jcdbm
Inactive

I figured out that I was editing the wrong TombPC.dat file. There was one on my main folder that I was previously working with, and another one in the Data folder. After Disabling Demos and removing the appropriate things in this Data .dat file, I was able to get it working flawlessly.

One interesting thing I noted about TR3 was that, while toying around with adding items with a save editor for the All Hallows level, I found that one of the artifacts wasn't showing up graphically although the slot was there. I was guessing that perhaps that the developers only programmed in the graphic data (?) for 3 of the artifacts since it would be impossible for the player to progress through the game and have 4 artifacts at London, Nevada, or South Pacific. I wonder if this is the case, I will go take a look in the TR3 subforums.

I replied to your PM, sorry I didn't see it earlier but we can continue off-topic discussion from there!

Last edited by jcdbm; 04-04-20 at 23:10.