www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > DXTRE3D Level Editor

Old 22-12-20, 09:37   #1
Mahetus
Student

Question Little Help

Hello!
After a short consideration, I decided to create my next custom level using dxtre3d editor. I want to create Greece themed custom using TR1 engine, but I'm not very familiar with this engine. Back in 2012 I manly creating TR2-3 customs.
And my question is what tools I should use to create custom on this engine and what kind of limitations TR1 have? I know about texture limitation and problem with changing level names. That's all.
Old 22-12-20, 10:20   #2
LoreRaider
Archaeologist

From my little experience, TR1 ATI exe will crash once you have more than 16 texture pages in your level, and I think you can go up to 1800 texinfos

Also, I saw you built your other levels with TE, wouldn't it be easier for you to build this level in TE too? TR1 is also supported as well now
Old 22-12-20, 11:25   #3
Mahetus
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoreRaider View Post
From my little experience, TR1 ATI exe will crash once you have more than 16 texture pages in your level, and I think you can go up to 1800 texinfos

Also, I saw you built your other levels with TE, wouldn't it be easier for you to build this level in TE too? TR1 is also supported as well now
Only 16 pages, so I need to be careful in this case, but I read somewhere there is 2048 texinfo limit, maybe this information was misleading.

And yes, I know TE also support TR1, but I like to experimenting with different editors and see the results. I have TE, Dxtre3d and NGLE and a lot of test project on each editor.
Old 22-12-20, 16:21   #4
thewolf
Golden

Exclamation

Hey Mahetus,

there's actually not much to know about TR1 for Dxtre3d. All you need is the editor, textures and the base file(WAD).
If you want to know which files you need to play you can download one of Feder's TR1 levels for example
http://www.trle.net/sc/authorfeatures.php?aid=999

If you have touched Dxtre3d before you might already know about the standard tools to edit your objects, statics, textures, base files and so on

A short list about TR1:
  • TR1 has tanky controls
  • You can't roll while in the air
  • No monkey bars
  • No ladder
  • white light only (like TR2)
  • untriggered enemies can be seen

and some more things.

You can't change the script in TR1 because there is no script. It's all hardcoded. For example you can't choose Lara's starting weapons. They are hardcoded in the files. For the level names DaroRaider made a tool some months ago:
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=223679

You can also change names now for keys with his tool

It's brave of you to start a new level with Dxtre3d but I would really recommend you to build with the new Tomb Editor
I can't prevent you doing so, in the end it's your choice of course It's just my advice

I'm not sure if everything works in Dxtre3d for TR1. Could be possible that some functions don't work 100%. Let's say sinks for example..... I never build a TR1 level in Dxtre3d, so I can't tell you which functions work and which not.

In that case you would have to ask Feder because he made a lot of levels for TR1 in Dxtre3d.

I would also recommend you Tomb Editor not just for the functions but for the better lighting and texture placement + the editor is still receiving updates and fixes.

I wish you good luck for your new project, remember to take your time
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-20, 16:46   #5
Mahetus
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Hey Mahetus,

there's actually not much to know about TR1 for Dxtre3d. All you need is the editor, textures and the base file(WAD).
If you want to know which files you need to play you can download one of Feder's TR1 levels for example
http://www.trle.net/sc/authorfeatures.php?aid=999

If you have touched Dxtre3d before you might already know about the standard tools to edit your objects, statics, textures, base files and so on

A short list about TR1:
  • TR1 has tanky controls
  • You can't roll while in the air
  • No monkey bars
  • No ladder
  • white light only (like TR2)
  • untriggered enemies can be seen

and some more things.

You can't change the script in TR1 because there is no script. It's all hardcoded. For example you can't choose Lara's starting weapons. They are hardcoded in the files. For the level names DaroRaider made a tool some months ago:
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=223679

You can also change names now for keys with his tool

It's brave of you to start a new level with Dxtre3d but I would really recommend you to build with the new Tomb Editor
I can't prevent you doing so, in the end it's your choice of course It's just my advice

I'm not sure if everything works in Dxtre3d for TR1. Could be possible that some functions don't work 100%. Let's say sinks for example..... I never build a TR1 level in Dxtre3d, so I can't tell you which functions work and which not.

In that case you would have to ask Feder because he made a lot of levels for TR1 in Dxtre3d.

I would also recommend you Tomb Editor not just for the functions but for the better lighting and texture placement + the editor is still receiving updates and fixes.

I wish you good luck for your new project, remember to take your time
Wow, Thank you thewolf!

I touched Dxtre3d long time ago, I downloaded it lately to remind how to work on it. And I have needed tools of course.

I didn't know only about enemies that they are visible. I'm quite surprised.

How I didn't noticed this tool, I'm so blind sometimes
It will be very useful.

I know TE is a lot better editor and is up to date. Creating custom with Dxtre3d is more like remind of good memories, I had building customs to classic tr's back in 2012.

I remember that sinks, doesn't work properly they were bulit in certain levels or something like that.

Yeah, lighting in dxtre3d was quite painful as far as I remember.

Thank you very much thewolf! I really appreciate your help!

Last edited by Mahetus; 22-12-20 at 16:49.
Mahetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-20, 16:26   #6
Mahetus
Student

Question Zoning via Rview

I'm sorry for double post, but I don't want to create another thread with help.

Today I noticed there is a zone editor in Rview. (Don't know how I didn't noticed this eariler, but well )

I know there is zoning in dxtre3d as well. I mainly use Rview to fix some textures and for lighting.
And here is my question: Is Rview better for applying zones than dxtre3d?

Last edited by Mahetus; 26-12-20 at 17:24. Reason: Typo
Mahetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-20, 18:12   #7
thewolf
Golden

Lightbulb

Well , it's hard to tell. Sometimes Rview works better and sometimes not. Baddies got sometimes stuck at certain spots using the zones from Dxtre3d. In order to solve it I placed a few Rview zones on certain tiles to make them walk the way I wanted but this doesn't always work. You need to try it out by yourself. There are so many factors that can cause a different result(Room size, geometry, portals.....)

It's 50% for Dxtre3d and 50% for Rview, just try some things and see what works better for you
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-20, 18:23   #8
Mahetus
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Well , it's hard to tell. Sometimes Rview works better and sometimes not. Baddies got sometimes stuck at certain spots using the zones from Dxtre3d. In order to solve it I placed a few Rview zones on certain tiles to make them walk the way I wanted but this doesn't always work. You need to try it out by yourself. There are so many factors that can cause a different result(Room size, geometry, portals.....)

It's 50% for Dxtre3d and 50% for Rview, just try some things and see what works better for you
Oh, I see. Well I think I have new thing to experiment with.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 26-12-20, 18:30   #9
DaroRaider
Explorer

Yes is more like theWolf said.
In my last level there were two or three enemies behaving wrongly. I tried to apply zones with both: dxtre3d and Rview to fix it and it didn't work.
There it came to my mind other aspects to be taken in account: if the enemies have predefined an absolute coordinate space boundaries ( harcoded ) where within in that range works or not.
Old 26-12-20, 19:09   #10
Mahetus
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaroRaider View Post
Yes is more like theWolf said.
In my last level there were two or three enemies behaving wrongly. I tried to apply zones with both: dxtre3d and Rview to fix it and it didn't work.
There it came to my mind other aspects to be taken in account: if the enemies have predefined an absolute coordinate space boundaries ( harcoded ) where within in that range works or not.
I see. So zoning in both dxtre3d and rview are underdeveloped and kinda unreliable.
To be honest, I wouldn't be suprised if this is hardcoded. Classic TR's has a lot of strange hardcoded hacks. For example TR5 level is almost imposible to create without any bugs. One of the builder wants to create a level on this engine, but he had a tons of bugs, of course he is still creating, but I woudn't be even suprised if he cancelled it.