Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 15-06-17, 10:15   #2221
vvsgh

No, nothing was broken. The texture minifying function is still controllable by mipmap_mode. But the texture magnification filter was never changeable in this branch. It was implemented for some time in old master only and still not backported into current branch, because of a lack of motivation I guess.
vvsgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-17, 13:06   #2222
Ludko444

Default Ebay

Look on this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OpenTomb-Gam...pCsYAD0bMm4mIw
Ludko444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-17, 13:52   #2223
Mokono

Exclamation

Don't just look, ACT!

Click here and you'll be able to report this listing to eBay.

I picked the following options (translated from Spanish):
  1. Intellectual property and registered trademark
  2. Counterfeit article or waiver of responsibility for authenticity
  3. Falsified articles, fakes, or copies

Then i wrote this:

Quote:
Article sells FREE and OPEN SOURCE project on SourceForge.net and GitHub, and Square Enix © levels.
I'd also make a thread about this on GC, but i'm afraid doing so fits the definition of 'instigating raids' which is against the forum rules.
Mokono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-17, 14:25   #2224
Joey79100

Even if it doesn't look right morally speaking (they're just making money off something they probably didn't work on (but who knows?)), isn't it actually allowed? The seller doesn't state anywhere that he sells the levels, and OpenTomb is an open source project following the GNU GPL v3.0 license which allows for re-distribution and commercial use.
The only problem I see is that the license the seller uses is just "Standard", while it should be GNU GPL v3.0.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-17, 10:49   #2225
Cochrane
Golden

Yes, if the seller complies with the rules of the GPL, then this is 100% legal. The rules mainly state that the source code has to be included or otherwise made available (I think a link to Github might actually be enough if they didn't change it at all, otherwise they need to include the full changed code). And, of course, any changes they made must also be under GPL. But charging money is explicitly allowed.

The questionable part is that they seem to imply they made it, as opposed to just repackaged it. That's misleading. I'm not sure if it violates the letter of the GPL, as long as the real credits are included with the DVD, but it definitely feels dodgy.

Obviously, I'm wondering "is this a scam and who are they trying to scam here?". The part where it doesn't mention that you need the original TR games to use this is questionable from a consumer point of view, and if they wanted to appear reasonable, it would have been nice to give a link to the OpenTomb website as well.

Overall, I don't like this, but I also don't think it's illegal. This is how open source works. Of course, if they include any content from the original TR games at all, then it's a completely different matter.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-17, 12:42   #2226
Mokono

@Joey79100: while Free Software ≠ Open Source, licensing rules apart, eBay has got its own rules for selling software, see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay
Certain types of software—including academic, beta, and OEM software—aren't allowed on eBay, or certain restrictions apply when listing them, as described below.

(...)

Beta software can't be listed on eBay. These are early copies of software distributed by software developers strictly for the purpose of evaluation and troubleshooting.

Not allowed:
  • Beta software, including test, prototype, and evaluation software
  • Beta keys, including beta cards and access codes
  • Previously redeemed or activated beta codes
  • Digitally-delivered beta codes
OpenTomb is far from being a finished, polished product released for the purpose of being tested and improved. That alone should be reason to remove the listing, but i went the copyright route because it is implied their physical copy comes with the levels (the whole 'Power Pack CD + USB' combo, why else the extra storage?). Besides, making making hyperboles while complaining has worked wonders for my generation.
Mokono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-17, 13:10   #2227
Cochrane
Golden

Ooh, that raises the question how you define beta software. eBay's formulation seems to imply (even though they aren't explicit about it) that they mean pre-release software that is not meant to be available for general release. It's debatable whether that matches OpenTomb. It's certainly not finished, but then, what software ever is? OpenTomb is available publicly for everyone who wants it. It comes with zero warranty, nor any guaranteed support, but that's basically true for any open source software. And OpenTomb does not have a defined release process anyway.

The copyright route is much more likely to be successful here, if they actually include the levels. They certainly imply they do, but for all I know they might not specifically to avoid being sued (though that would be somewhat scam-adjacent since that limitation is not mentioned anywhere in the listing).
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-17, 07:45   #2228
Dustie

^ it says including test and prototype, which is definitely what OpenTomb is, it's a prototype that's being developed, essentially. They should take this down, it's not a full-featured product. They clearly don't want stuff like this.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 12:54   #2229
Ado Croft

OMG, so this is the moment I have been waiting for almost 4 years. Path finding implementation is comming
Thank you so much Tesla Rus. You are the best
Can't wait to try moving enemies in this engine. Great job
Ado Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 12:16   #2230
TeslaRus

Default binaries updated

New:
- bug fixes, introducing new bugs;
- trigger cameras was updated (timers and moving);
- crazy enemies following Lara...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ope...ne.7z/download
TeslaRus is offline   Reply With Quote