Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 06-05-22, 17:58   #1
Avalon SARL

Default Tomb Raider 2 Textures Win 10

I have Win-10 home version

The game runs perfectly (installed through steam)l but the textures in the game are of lower quality.

How to fix them; I tried looking online, but I didn't find anything that easily explains what t do.

Any help
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-22, 02:19   #2
perryloo

I have never dealt with steam, but on PC you can go to settings, and adjust resolution to suit your screen. I bet you are on a low resolution.

I assume on steam you can do the same, the path is... core design...setup tomb raider II, and you get the following window shown below to setup, set it up and hit OK.

perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-22, 18:38   #3
Joey79100

^ Adding up on this, select Hardware instead of Software.
Software is completely done on the processor and will always be limited graphically, whereas hardware lets you have additional graphical features and more performance.

Additional features include Bilinear filtering, which smooths out the textures (so they don't look pixelated, which might be what you're describing).
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-22, 12:40   #4
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
^ Adding up on this, select Hardware instead of Software.
Software is completely done on the processor and will always be limited graphically, whereas hardware lets you have additional graphical features and more performance.

Additional features include Bilinear filtering, which smooths out the textures (so they don't look pixelated, which might be what you're describing).
Yup, adding on to that - there's absolutely no reason to be using Software for any of the games nowadays. Back in the day the whole purpose of it was so you could run the game if you didn't have the best setup. Anything nowadays will run them decently, and Hardware is the way the game is intended to be played.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-22, 18:09   #5
laravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
Yup, adding on to that - there's absolutely no reason to be using Software for any of the games nowadays. Back in the day the whole purpose of it was so you could run the game if you didn't have the best setup. Anything nowadays will run them decently, and Hardware is the way the game is intended to be played.
What can one do in instances where you cannot select Hardware mode? I've spoke with 3 people recently who are locked out from selecting Hardware mode in TR2. I've never had this issue myself (neither have I had to use dgVoodoo which they're using or had used) so I'm unsure what to advise. Any ideas?
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-22, 10:36   #6
gidierre
Grease Monkey

first of all to circumvent that
I'd suggest they run setup at the command prompt
setting the parameter as
Quote:
tomb2.exe -setup
if the executable isn't called tomb2 change it to reflect the local name of the .exe
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-22, 12:19   #7
laravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
first of all to circumvent that
I'd suggest they run setup at the command prompt
setting the parameter as tomb2.exe -setup
Are you referring to the usual Tomb2 setup dialog as shown above? If so, this was the first thing I advised them to do (adding -setup parameter via shortcut) but they cannot select hardware mode for whatever reason.

I've read that if you don't have a secondary (integrated) graphics card to choose from in the setup, it could potentially disable the hardware mode option due to modern graphics cards being to "new" for classic TR. Is there any truth to this?

I've suggested TR2Main (without dgVoodoo) to those with this issue, but I'm not sure if they've set things up correctly. One of them mentions having Intel UHD Graphics 620, yet they can only select dgVoodoo from the Tomb2 setup...
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-22, 13:18   #8
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
Are you referring to the usual Tomb2 setup dialog as shown above? If so, this was the first thing I advised them to do
that's exactly what I was talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
I've read that if you don't have a secondary (integrated) graphics card to choose from in the setup, it could potentially disable the hardware mode option due to modern graphics cards being to "new" for classic TR. Is there any truth to this?
not sure, but certainly it does sound like something unreasonably reasonable for the 1997 setup to come up with
like soundblaster soundcard emulation is in order (at least for TRI) the moment your soundcard is anything but soundblasterlike...
and that's just when conjuring up a wrapper entity comes in handy

dgVoodoo is one and supposedly will do the trick, insofar as one's card real vs. virtual type doesn't even matter anymore

I have never used that around TRII myself though

I guess their best option would be to ask directly from Dege (dgVoodoo's maker) whose advice usually comes fast and pretty useful.
Judging by
http://dege.freeweb.hu/Galleries/DXGamesGallery.html
it would seem 100% compatible.

Last edited by gidierre; 19-05-22 at 13:24.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote