Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: Which reboot Tomb Raider game is your overall favourite?
Tomb Raider 46 17.97%
Rise of the Tomb Raider 80 31.25%
Shadow of the Tomb Raider 107 41.80%
March of the Penguins 23 8.98%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-02-20, 18:12   #151
ESCachuli

Lightbulb

Shadow is the only one I can consider somewhat Tomb Raider-ish. Its not perfect, but it is a start.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-20, 22:05   #152
Heartache

replaying shadow again and its by far superior being an actual tomb raider. though i love all 3 and shadow has clear flaws its still my favourite. if only i wouldnt be needing to run around in a dress all the time....
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-20, 10:00   #153
Datatsushi

I wish Shadow had an Endurance mode like Rise. D;
Datatsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-20, 11:07   #154
Heartache

jungle endurance mode would be so good
when rise's endurance mode was added i was already sick of all the snow
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-20, 09:38   #155
Shing
Unverified

Finally finished the last game.

TR2013: Way too simple, action oriented game. Automatic health regeneration, no swimming, "hunting" and crafting isn't important at all while advertised as a survivor game. Weak story, one dimensional characters. I went through the game with a meh face.
Never tried to play it again since 2013.

Rise: Finally some swimming, crafting is more important and works better, you need stuff for health regeneration. Stealth elements. Even worse story and characters though.
Still i prefer this because of the overall gameplay.

Shadow: Proper swimming, rope mechanics, amazing HUBs, many side activities (i didn't care much about them though). No white ledge option and overall better platforming. Better stealth gameplay.
I think the story is the best here. I liked Unuratu and Etzli a lot. The main "evil" guy had a unique motivation. I liked the parts with Jonah too.

I could criticize a lot of things in SOTTR. Didn't live up to the story concept. Pacing issues. Boring side "quests". Lara didn't live up to the hype even at the very end of the last game's story. (And i didn't even except classic Lara).
Some gameplay elements could be better, etc etc. But the other games are even worse!

If you prefer the classic or LAU games, SOTTR offers the most for you. If you prefer reboot games then SOTTR still offer the most, because it improved every aspect of the previous games.

If i ever replay a reboot game then it will be SOTTR and that time maybe i will even max it out.

SOTTR>>>>>ROTTR>>2013
Shing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-20, 14:34   #156
redfox45

Wow really?

Is this poll a reflection of how good each game was on it's own merit or simply a reflection of how much hatred people still carry for the reboot?
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-20, 06:45   #157
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
Wow really?

Is this poll a reflection of how good each game was on it's own merit or simply a reflection of how much hatred people still carry for the reboot?
Seems more like a reflection of how good a Tomb Raider game each one was. People seem to prefer SotTR because it at least tries to connect to the franchises roots. I assume that if the games were to be judged by people who had never played an earlier Tomb Raider game, the results might be different.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-20, 18:50   #158
Mutant Messiah

My current rankings...

1. Rise
2. 2013
3. Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Rise did something that was really controversial, but in my opinion, was right.
It put all the tombs in the periphery and it gave a perfectly paced game.

2013 was also perfectly paced, and hands down the most polished game of the three, but the tombs were not a challenge.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the one I'm playing lately more though. Not that I find the game to be perfect, but it has an interesting content post campaign, assuming that you don't do the DLCs first.

Though whenever I play Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I always think that this game could have been better.

I enjoy Rise more than this game, but I've already played Rise's campaign mode around 5-10 times.

2013 plays better than Shadow but it's post campaign content is lacking.

I'm trying to play some games similar to the reboot trilogy, namely: Uncharted 4, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Horizon Zero Dawn, and The Last Of Us.

1. Lost Legacy - my favorite in the bunch. Might be the only game among the four that I consider to be at par with the Tomb Raider reboot.

2. Uncharted 4 - could have been a much better game had it not been 50% climbing simulation.

3. The Last Of Us - if Uncharted 4 is a climbing simulation, this one is a walking simulation. With a more clunky gameplay. It feels like a drag, and I'm barely at 1/4 of the game.

4. Horizon Zero Dawn - this game has huge potential. It has a lot of elements done right, and polished well. There's only one thing that bothers me.

Is it me or is the acting that bad? It makes whiny reboot Lara more lovable. If Aloy is supposed to be the strong female character that's to be liked by fanboys all over, she's not growing on me, yet.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 17:35   #159
krycekuva

@Shing

i agree with you. while the reboot was good in its own right if not great, it still doesn't compare the sequels. and shadow is a massive improvement over rise. so yeah...
krycekuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 21:30   #160
Yeauxleaux

All of them and none of them at the same time.

2013 has a decent storyline with the most character development for Lara, but the gameplay is an abomination and couldn't possibly be less Tomb Raider-ish.

Shadow made a cracking attempt at bringing back the importance of tombs, platforming and exploration. It still wasn't great, but with they gameplay engine they inherited, it was a decent try. The storyline though, let's not even go there. Thank u, next.

Rise was overall I think the most "balanced", it kinda did everything ok but nothing well.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote