Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 05-01-20, 22:40   #41
trfan16

No, I never considered it cheating to use a strategy guide for help. Especially in a single player game. It's not like you're playing a multiplayer game online or participating in some sort of competition. It does feel more satisfying if you're able to beat a level though without a guide. But you should play at your own pace.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 07:13   #42
ANoDE
Golden

I think everyone has to decide that for themselves. Games should be fun - and if constantly getting stuck starts to annoy you - why not use a strategy guide / walkthrough / friend for help?

The only thing I wouldn't find ok, if someone used cheats / walkthroughs and afterwards bragged about how easy the fame was to beat. I'd consider that unfair.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-20, 02:59   #43
Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
I actually don't think it's cheating bc like you said, I don't like it either being stuck for ages. Obviously you've been in every corner trying to figure it out or solve the puzzle, so last best thing instead of using actual cheat codes is using a walkthrough, imo

(xx from nextdoor)
Thank you babe <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
I think everyone has to decide that for themselves. Games should be fun - and if constantly getting stuck starts to annoy you - why not use a strategy guide / walkthrough / friend for help?

The only thing I wouldn't find ok, if someone used cheats / walkthroughs and afterwards bragged about how easy the fame was to beat. I'd consider that unfair.
Agreed!!

Last edited by Nerdy; 31-01-20 at 03:00.
Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-20, 21:23   #44
Rufinoman

Getting stuck is no fun, so I've been using Stella's guides for years, but don't consider it cheating.
Going God mode is cheating.
Rufinoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 21:18   #45
annacroft

Not "cheating" in my opinion. I think of it like going for a drive to an unfamiliar place. With previous experience, you should be able to navigate most roads fairly easily. You follow signs and signals, but eventually you will come across a huge, scary roundabout or junction that's hard to navigate. You become stuck, and have to pull up at the side of the road and pull out a map or a guide to help you. Then you simply carry on, navigate the hard part and continue on in your journey. Then next time, you know how to navigate such a hard junction.

If a walkthrough alleviates your stress in a game, then why not? You will enjoy it more. Personally, I try to challenge myself and use a walkthrough after reviewing every single thing I can think of.
annacroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 02:48   #46
New Dwight
Inactive

its not cheating. cheating is using hacks/cheats to ease ur way through.
walkthrough is for navigating urself from a sticky situation, that has u running around lossing ur head. without walkthroughs, i would never advance in most games that have me lost on where to go/what to do next.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 13:26   #47
LGG_PRODUCTION

Personally, I alwais played TR1-5 with walkthrough and all weapons, I also fly in TR3 and TR5 so, for me, Each one can play the games like he/she want

Last edited by LGG_PRODUCTION; 05-02-20 at 13:28.
LGG_PRODUCTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 13:39   #48
bekim

Not really, but nothing beats the rewarding feeling when you actually find the way on your own

Thank god I had no internet access as a kid it would make things less challenging for me
bekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 00:40   #49
fallenangle

In general agree ^.

However I remember, still a very new gamer, with TR2 getting stuck in the Xian dragon statue room where you have to navigate up a slope via blocks and if you made a mistake you'd almost always end up sliding down into the lava.

I referred to a written walkthrough from a magazine and it simply did not answer the question about how to get from one particular block to another. I was stuck there for ages just because I did not know Lara could jump/grab diagonally (up to a point) and if you just aimed for the right hand edge she'd grab it.

You had nobody to ask, no internet and the only source of advice was very expensive premium rate telephone accessed walkthroughs or buying the Prima guide which probably wouldn't have answered the question either.

I eventually worked it out but if I'd had access to a forum like this then I would have asked here and probably had the answer very quickly. I certainly would not have felt like I'd cheated because it wasn't a question about where you're supposed to go, I knew that, it was a basic movement control system matter.

There were other games I got stuck in back then for similar reasons and there was no option but to work it yourself. Although I'll admit it was satisfying when it finally clicked there was also a hell of a lot of frustration leading up to that which was not enjoyable at all.

So I can well understand noobs for getting help via guides or asking here. But there does come a point where you have to let go of mummy or daddy's hand and try getting through a game without any help because, as bekim said "......nothing beats the rewarding feeling when you actually find the way on your own.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote